1,603 posts in this topic

Advertisement

dopo la befana e non natale :D e cambia croccantini al micio che mi pare incazzato :hysterical:

after the befana and not Christmas and change croccantini to the cat that I think pissed off

PS: buone vacanze :)

Edited by iCanaro

On 12/21/2018 at 6:09 PM, vector sigma said:

These values are just read from the ioreg with no interpretation, i.e. HWMonitorSMC2.app just read what your driver says just as you can do using the Terminal. But, why do you think they are wrong?

@vector sigma

MonkeyMac-Pro-2018:~ Jay$ ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Power'
"Fan Speed(%)"=45
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=1501
"Temperature(C)"=33
"Total Power(W)"=683
MonkeyMac-Pro-2018:~ Jay$ 

No way the Total Power reading is correct, if Vega was really drawing 683W it would explode .... :lol::lol:

When running a Open GL App (like FurMark) the Total Power data point appears to scale with the rendered output window size, for instance if you run the MacOS version of FurMark at the default size of 1024 x 640 the Total Power Reading (on my system) will be around 330W if you resize the window the Total Power data point changes depending upon the size of the FurMark output window ... if i make it smaller it will drop below 330W if i make it full screen it goes up to 680W !!! ... The rendered output window size seems to dictate the Total Power data point, which is totally incorrect ... if you do the same thing under windows it will always be the same value no matter the resolution of the furMark output window which is what one would expect.

When running a Open CL App (like LuxMark) the Total Power power is pegged at 680W (on my system) or the same value as when running Open GL app at full screen.

It's not an issue with HWMonitorSMC2 but due to a bug/error in Apples IOAccelerator module ... hopefully Apple will fix it in the next release of Mojave.

Quite why/how Apple managed this is beyond belief ... clearly MacOS is calculating the value by some sort of multiplier rather than reading it direct from the Vega's on board diagnostic sensors.

Cheers

Jay

Edited by jaymonkey

On 12/20/2018 at 11:09 AM, Slice said:

It is already great achievement if you can start macOS on such hardware. Sensors monitoring looks to be a minor problem.

Test HWMonitorSMC2.app and report what is wrong.

@Slice
any support for this cpu ? : )

1123550161_ScreenShot2018-12-24at1_44_45PM.png.ceaab129e5bf589760ac9a1ee3a5e1ab.png

here is the pics you asked from HWMonitorSMC2.app  :

2146167607_ScreenShot2018-12-24at1_45_47PM.png.8d1918666680f8cafe67ba14fb49c76d.png

and from HWMonitorSMC.app :

586195050_ScreenShot2018-12-24at1_45_35PM.png.8846701115c178871a8ba77198cb6a9f.png

here are the kext using from latest release :

1954362515_ScreenShot2018-12-20at5_33_26PM.png.912b537da190d34b81eb0396da7cf1f3.png.e7d1b3f11f0446ff1bf979ee69440883.png

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299861-hwsensors3/?do=findComment&comment=2654617

Edited by XLNC

I noticed today that my Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 temperature was over 80°C after gaming.

I checked what kind of reading I get in Windows using HWinfo.

For example when just idling, CPU Package is 40°C. While idling in macOS there's 62°C on CPU heatsink with HWmonitorSMC2. Would it be possible to get CPU Package reading?

Radeon temperature is about the same +4°C compared to HWinfo.

On Samsung SSD's there are two sensors, would it be possible to get both readings?

On 12/28/2018 at 5:28 PM, Amble said:

I noticed today that my Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 temperature was over 80°C after gaming.

I checked what kind of reading I get in Windows using HWinfo.

For example when just idling, CPU Package is 40°C. While idling in macOS there's 62°C on CPU heatsink with HWmonitorSMC2. Would it be possible to get CPU Package reading?

On Samsung SSD's there are two sensors, would it be possible to get both readings?

NM the CPU Package, I see it now on HWmonitor. It's just missing often with several other entries when HWmonitor is set as autostart and I have close and start it again to see all entries.

Very nice app as I'm getting used to it! Only one thing, the fonts look very tiny on my 4K 24'' monitor so can you please give us an option to use larger fonts?

Edit: I mean fonts in the menu bar

308933711_ScreenShot2018-12-30at7_10_43PM.png.ea74d6401087e2902f9230e5ec77f447.png

Edited by RandomTech

1 hour ago, RandomTech said:

Very nice app as I'm getting used to it! Only one thing, the fonts look very tiny on my 4K 24'' monitor so can you please give us an option to use larger fonts?

Edit: I mean fonts in the menu bar

308933711_ScreenShot2018-12-30at7_10_43PM.png.ea74d6401087e2902f9230e5ec77f447.png

I would prefer that too.

One thing i've been wondering also.

I was a programmer on my previous life. C# mostly, so I have no idea about GUI stuff on xcode. Would it be a hard job to redo the GUI?

It just seems like it's really old or not made with new GUI elements or whatever there is on apple's world. Comparing it to iStat sensors GUI for example, the iStat is much cleaner looking and much "snappier" when you interact with the GUI. 

Edited by Amble

Also imo the sensors should be under the device the sensor is located. For example in HWinfo in Windows there is device and it's sensors below like this:

CPU: Intel i7-7700K

Package temperature

Core temperature

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WiFi

CPU heatsink temperature

Ambient temperature

Now on HWmonitor for example the CPU heatsink temperature is under the CPU and if I understood correctly from the sources, it comes from the motherboard ITEIT87x.kext.

Edited by Amble

On 12/30/2018 at 10:44 PM, Amble said:

I would prefer that too.

I was a programmer on my previous life. C# mostly, so I have no idea about GUI stuff on xcode. Would it be a hard job to redo the GUI?

It just seems like it's really old or not made with new GUI elements or whatever there is on apple's world. Comparing it to iStat sensors GUI for example, the iStat is much cleaner looking and much "snappier" when you interact with the GUI. 

The GUI of HWMonitorSMC2 is very new. It is still under development provided by Vector Sigma.

On 12/21/2018 at 7:18 PM, vector sigma said:

Guys I will resume the development of HWM2 after the Christmas holidays (after January 6) as very soon I'll be out of Italy. See you, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Are you ok? Do you have a New Year smoothly flowing to Easter? :)

On 1/17/2019 at 9:08 AM, losinka said:

Are you ok? Do you have a New Year smoothly flowing to Easter? :)

Yes I'm ok thanks.... only I have more job than I expected for the beginning of the year :rofl:

On 12/30/2018 at 9:22 PM, Amble said:

Now on HWmonitor for example the CPU heatsink temperature is under the CPU and if I understood correctly from the sources, it comes from the motherboard ITEIT87x.kext.

This is a point of view. Depends if you want to see CPU related stuff under the CPU group or CPU's related stuff under the Motherboard group. Honestly I can't see so much difference and what HWInfo really doesn't influence me, but then I have to ask you a question:

during a CPU test stress is better to watch in a place only, or in more than one place? ... I made my self this question and why it is under the CPU group.

though the ITE chip (isn't a kext but is read by him) is soldered in to the motherboard and a group exchange is possible for this reason.

On 12/30/2018 at 8:44 PM, Amble said:

Tried the gadget? It was made for that purpose since you can enlarge the view and the font becomes bigger...

EDIT

anyway to change font you have just to edit one line:

let f = NSFont(name: "Lucida Grande Bold", size: 9.0)!

EDIT 2

That last was also for @RandomTech, I quoted Mr. Amble's post by mistake

Edited by vector sigma

On 12/30/2018 at 8:44 PM, Amble said:

the GUI is very new as Slice already said. Honestly what iStat do is to use iPhone buttons like which imho is orrific and I really hate them. You will have noticed that this project is free and opensource so that anyone can fork and made a request and sure I will be glad to implement someone else ideas also because I have a job that keeps almost all my time and no one ask for a donation or for money... just because we are enthusiasts, but not more. Consider also that the code I made lately is the only you can see (at least in swift) unlike happens for others.

On 12/28/2018 at 4:28 PM, Amble said:

What is stopping you to install the InstelPowerGadget.framework that enable the reading of all these things??

6 hours ago, vector sigma said:

anyway to change font you have just to edit one line:

let f = NSFont(name: "Lucida Grande Bold", size: 9.0)!

is it in the Info.plist ? :blush:

On 12/9/2018 at 6:34 PM, vector sigma said:

The app read everythings is connected through pci and has a gpu compatible class-code. Everything is fine becouse macOS connect thunderbolt devices like that as pci devices. The IOAccelerator is what we need to show properties of your card because contains the "PerformanceStatistics", but eGPU doesn't respond to this class and "PerformanceStatistics" is published under a children of display0 (or whatever it is connected).

So, I need to think on how retrieve those info before, and then create code to try:)

Do you habe any ideas about two Vega cards? Thank you.

I updated FakeSMC on my laptop from r167 to r184 last night. Booted back into Mojave no problem but it hung going into Sierra. Rolled back and it was fine. I checked the plist of the new FakeSMC kext and it shows it was built with the 10.14 SDK. Perhaps this has broken backwards compatibility?

Running r173 now (which uses 10.11 SDK) and all is well again. Just letting you know ahead of the next official release.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:14 PM, losinka said:

Do you habe any ideas about two Vega cards? Thank you.

Vega cards aren't the problem, but egpus are apparently. Unfortunately, lately I have little time for this, also a apfs corruption happens here so I lost some files. Anyway before cristmass I do a test code without implementing it in any app, but you can run in this command line:

vclist.zip

run it and post the Terminal output.... hoping for :) 

11 hours ago, Riley Freeman said:

I updated FakeSMC on my laptop from r167 to r184 last night. Booted back into Mojave no problem but it hung going into Sierra. Rolled back and it was fine. I checked the plist of the new FakeSMC kext and it shows it was built with the 10.14 SDK. Perhaps this has broken backwards compatibility?

Running r173 now (which uses 10.11 SDK) and all is well again. Just letting you know ahead of the next official release.

I have an idea on why this happen but I need some tests to be done (... when I'll have time) anyway in which OS isn't working?