south4769

dual booting windows and mac

6 posts in this topic

i have found many tutorials on how to do this... but none that explain what to do in my position.

here's is what is happening: i installed osx with chameleon in February then in June (last month) i installed on another partition... i cannot access osx because windows will boot over it because it was the last installed OS. i need to access the osx. is there a boot loader i can use? (i don't want to uninstall any of the OSes) please help! thank-you

(btw my system is a dell inspiron 3520)

if you need any clarification or have any questions, please ask me in a reply to this thread.

Advertisement

Use your installer to boot into OS X then reinstall Charmelon. When you need to use windows, boot from System Reserved in Charmelon.

both of you dont understand.... i already installed windows so the first one wont work, also, i installed osx in February so i dont have the installer any more 

Its not that we don't understand, you have to be more specific. You will need a Mac to install Charmelon to the hard drive again.

You can use the Windows bootloader to chainload chameleon on your OSX volume by installing EasyBCD in Windows (link to download  http://www.softpedia...s/EasyBCD.shtml ).

To create an OSX entry in the Windows boot menu,

• Open EasyBCD and click "Add New Entry" button on left
  • Click on the "Mac" tab under "Operating Systems", change the name to whatever you like eg "OSX Mavericks" and then select "MBR" for mode and click "Add Entry"
  • Click on the "Edit Boot Menu" button on the left and tick which OS you want to boot by default.  The timeout option can be changed to say 3 seconds to allow reasonable time to choose which OS to boot (if different to default).  Finally click "Save Settings"

When you reboot the computer, selecting the OSX entry from the Windows bootloader should now chainload chameleon and you should now be able to boot OSX as per normal.

PS:  Another method is to use cVaD's BootDiskUtility in Windows to create a bootable Clover/Chameleon USB boot disk to boot into OSX. You can also create a Mavericks USB installer in Windows with this procedure - see (GUIDE) Create Boot USB Installer OS X Mavericks on Windows.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kushwavez
      A really good motherboard with macOS compatible bult-in Wifi & Bluetooth

ASUS Z170-Deluxe (with Wifi)
      BIOS: v3801
      CPU: i7-6700K 4.0 to 4.2 GHz (w/o OC)
      RAM: 1x 16 GB Corsair DDR4 2400 MHz
      GPU: Intel HD 530 (Headless) & ASUS Radeon RX 5700 OC 8 GB
      Audio: ALC 1150
      Ethernet: I219V2, I211-AT
      WiFi & Bluetooth: Broadcom BCM94360HMB Half-Mini-PCI-E
      More Specs: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-DELUXE/specifications/

Catalina 10.15.4 - Windows 10
      What is working:
      BCM94360HMB Wifi and Bluetooth AirDrop, Handoff, FaceTime, Messages, App Store, iCloud, etc. Intel HD 530 (QE/CI tested, but now I'm using it in headless) Sleep RX 5700 (QE/CI with 2 1080p monitors connected) Sound USB Ports Two Ethernet ports macOS with a light OC (4.12 GHz - 4.5 Ghz, XMP, ASUS optimal) No problem so far ASUS HyperKit with a KINGSTON NVMe SSD - 250 GB  
      What is not working:
      -  

Not tested:
      VideoProc says that Hardware Decoding\Encoding is fully supported and enabled on both HD 530 and RX 5700 but I didn't test it Thunderbolt (no equipment)  
      Issues:
      None  
      BIOS Settings:
      Boot\CSM (Compatibility Support Module): Launch CSM: Disabled Boot\Secure Boot: OS type: Other OS Secure Boot State: Disabled Advanced\System agent (sa) Configuration: VT-d: Enabled Graphics Configuration: Primary Display: Auto iGPU Multi-monitor: Enabled RC6(Render Standby): Enabled DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128M Advanced\PCH Storage Configuration: SATA Mode Selection: AHCI HyperKit: Enable (if you have NVMe SSD with ASUS HyperKit) Advanced\CPU Configuration: Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled CPU- Power Management Control: Intel SpeedStep: Enabled CPU- C-States: Enabled Intel SpeedShift: Enabled  
      Getting ready for installation:
      Download the bootpack (Clover v5107): Click here -> asus-z170_clover_5107.zip  
      Installation:
      Create an installer with any method you know (- Mac: createinstallmedia - Windows: Transmac, Vmware, Win32diskimager) Copy my Clover folder to the USB's EFI folder Boot with the Installer USB If you have any problem (kp or freeze) boot with config_debug.plist to see what causes the issue  
      Post Installation:
      Download Clover Configurator and generate a new Serial Number for yourself  
      Some pictures:

Catalina & Windows 10 Dual-Boot (clean install, on one drive):
       Boot into your Mac installer, Create 2 partitions in GUID table (1 for Win (I used FAT32 but I think it doesn't matter what you choose), 1 for Mac)
       Install Mac, boot with your USB, mount your EFI partition (use terminal or an EFI mounter app), create an EFI folder (if there is no folder), copy the CLOVER folder I attached to the EFI folder, restart
      Boot into your Win installer, Format the partition you created for Win, install. 
      Now, it's automatically booting into Windows. To use Clover open cmd in administrator, type: 
      bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi  
      You're done! It will booting into Clover when you start the system, and you can select Win or Mac (or another OS if installed on a 3rd partition).

IF YOU GETTING ERRORS DURING WINDOWS INSTALLATION (could not be formatted, etc):
      Make sure you have GPT partitions, and GPT (UEFI) installer, also disconnect all external storage drives (except the installer USB)  
      Mounting EFI from Windows:
      Open cmd in administrator mode and type: mountvol b: /s (This will mount your EFI) Open Total Commander or Explorer++ in administrator mode to manage EFI mountvol b: /d (This will unmount your EFI)  
      Notes:

2020.03.26: Updated to 10.15.4 -> Updated WhateverGreen, Lilu -> Updated Clover to v5107
      2020.03.23: Removed "EmuVariableUefi.efi" -> deleted, caused false nvram map, now it's native, updated Clover to v5106
      2020.02.11: Updated to 10.15.3 -> No problem when/after installing
      2020.01.19: Added ASUS HyperKit NVMe SSD to the "What is working" list
      2020.01.12: Tested system with OC, added more informations to BIOS settings
      2020.01.11: Added SmallTreeIntel82576.kext for 2nd Ethernet, Tested Ethernet ports
      2020.01.11: First upload

• By Rohan20
      Opencore is running really really slow on Catalina 10.15.4. So It was running perfectly before I put the ssdt-pnlf for enabling Brightness control. it is running really slow and I verified my config with the sanity checker and its all correct. can someone please help. I am attaching my oc folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drkek0eaz19ina5/OC.zip?dl=0

• By Georgiles
      Laptop: Asus Vivobook F510UA
      CPU: Intel Core i5-8250U
      Graphic: Intel UHD 620
      Wifi: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 (no kexts for intel wifi) :(
      Card Reader: Realtek_CardReader(RTL8411B_RTS5226_RTS5227)
      Camera: ASUS UVC HD 7.Audio: Conexant Audio CX8050
      Touchpad: ELAN1300

by parkrypto: thank you tctien342 for the amazing guide.

https://github.com/tctien342/Asus-Vivobook-S510UA-High-Sierra-10.13-Hackintosh

Ebayed the laptop for $290 + tax = $350
      added: 16gb RAM + existing 8GB = 24GB          Timetec Hynix IC 16GB DDR4 2400MHz PC4-19200 Non ECC Unbuffered 1.2V CL17 2Rx8 Dual Rank 260 Pin SODIMM Laptop Notebook Computer Memory Ram Module Upgrade S Series (16GB)     
      added: cheap wifi         TP-Link USB Wifi Adapter for PC N150 Wireless Network Adapter for Desktop - Nano Size Wifi Dongle Compatible with Windows 10/7/8/8.1/XP/Vista Mac OS 10.9-10.15 Linux Kernel 2.6.18-4.4.3 (TL-WN725N)     
      added: NAND 1TB Internal PC SSD https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SB2MXT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Gadget Reviews upgraded too, video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39EquX5PTkQ

I just installed. Everything works fine. I'll test final cut pro, premiere pro with 4k footage and get back with you on performance. 
      For now moves like a performant Mac book pro. 
      I installed Catalina first but I could not make the Intel UHD 620 Graphics get proper QE/CI. 
      Mojave is just fine. I want to use this system for quick video editing on the go.
      Geekbench in my signature.  
      If you need any files or have any questions pls ask.

asus f510u mojave.zip
    • By onygan
      I don't even know from where to start cuz i did everything that i could and nothing to solve this problem. The problem is, i have a extreme lag in my Hackintosh with High Sierra build 17G65, at first i thouthg it could be my Graphic Card, but was not (i think), but now that my Graphic Card is with the correct Web Driver and CUDA version and i'm still with this lag, i think it is not the problem. So i tried other things to solve this, VoodooTCSync.kext, SSDT with a custom power management, AGPM Inject, change config.plist SMBIOS ant a lot other things like, Plugin Type on and off, Plugin Type=1 (with that i could enable speedstep on in my cpu), literally, i tried everything that most people can try, but i'm still with this lag. I made a full dump of my system with RunMe from Olarila and i'm uploading to Filebin with my EFI folder and a IOReg too, if anyone know how i can fix it, please, help me, i don't wanna leave this system because of a lag, everything is working fine, just this lag is the problem.

My config:
      System: High Sierra build 17G65 (dualboot with Windows 10)
      Motherboard: GA-P35-DS3
      CPU: Xeon x5450
      GPU: GTX 750 Ti
      RAM: 8Gb 4x2 800Mhz
      SSD 120GB SanDisk

I recored two videos, one is from the lag and other is my verbose boot.
      LAG: https://youtu.be/6LJ2EJDP4ek
      Cloover verbose boot (slow): https://youtu.be/ng6S9w29TAY
      EFI Folder, RunMe and IOReg: https://filebin.net/elfqwjqeh7n3cwq0
    • By Sagnik Ganguly
      Hello I'm Sagnik Ganguly, I'm trying to dual boot macOS 10.14 and Windows 10 (already installed) on a PC with Legacy BIOS. I've two hard drives one in where the windows is installed and another which is converted to GPT to install macOS Mojave 10.14 with a partion of Mac OS Extended (Journal) or APFS but when I went to the Install Disk Selection page, I'm selecting the partition but it says "This version of macOS 10.14 cannot be installed on this computer." can you help me please? 
      P. S. My motherboard doesn't support UEFI. 
      I'm attaching some pictures of the screens.