Clover or Chameleon...on legacy bios

a3yu

4 posts in this topic

Hi all, i've always used chameleon.

To install yosemite i used clover and after a bit i managed to use it, and all works like before with chameleon.

Now that chameleon for yosemite is out  i don't know what to do. which bootloader use?

With a legacy bios clover has any advantage respect chameleon or vice versa ?  :rofl:

Hi all, i've always used chameleon.

To install yosemite i used clover and after a bit i managed to use it, and all works like before with chameleon.

Now that chameleon for yosemite is out  i don't know what to do. which bootloader use?

With a legacy bios clover has any advantage respect chameleon or vice versa ?  :rofl:

It depends on your usability. I also have a legacy bios but I'm using Clover instead of Chameleon. They both do the same thing but Clover has more options and tweaks. Another reason I use Clover is because gives me better power management than Chameleon. Not sure why. 

Go for Chameleon if you want things simple. Chameleon is easy to use. If you like to mess around and like to experiment or if you need more configurations for your computer, then Clover should do the job. I find that Clover has a lot of options that can confuse new users so it depends on your knowledge and preference.

• Like 1

Clover has many more features than Chameleon. With Clover you won't need to apply common DSDT or binary patches after each update, it will do it for you on the fly. It also gets updated constantly which is very important as OSX keeps changing important things like power management.

Of course all this requires you to read and understand more than you'd do with Chameleon, but it's well documented, it has an official wiki and the developers visit these forums to answer questions and push updates all the time for bug fixes or by request to add new CPUs or graphics cards.

Another advantage Clover provides for legacy booting is chain-loading. It allows you to choose to boot to regular Clover, Chameleon (if you have it), a 32bit version of Clover, or some other legacy bootloader.

Explanation of boot process: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/What-is-what

PBR configuration options: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Boot#Legacy

• Like 2