waldouk

Upgrading from 10.8 to 10.9

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

First time poster so please excuse my general lack of knowledge :D

I purchased a 'pre-built' Hackintosh around a year ago. It's been pretty smooth sailing, even given my lack of technical skills. I'm now looking at installing a larger SSD and, whilst I'm at it, upgrading to 10.9 Mavericks. 

Found a great guide on this here forum which looks relatively straightforward (even for me!) Only thing is, I'm not sure how I go about 'extracting' the customisations that were put in place by my kindly supplier to get the system running on 10.8. In other words, how do I extract the stuff in the 'Extra' folder (and elsewhere) to make the process of installing 10.9 as simple as possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

andy

Advertisement

Hi Andy,

You need to post your specs of the pc to see what you need in the extra folder.

Also worth taking a full backup of your system onto another drive and making sure you can boot from the other drive in case you have to roll back due to issues.

Hiya d620osx,

Thanks for the reply.  Spec below:

GIGABYTE Z77 chipset - z77-DS3H (http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4147#ov)

i7-2600K

Graphics - GIGABYTE GTX 470 Super over Clock (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/36477-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-470-super-overclock-review-5.html)

8GB RAM

Uses a wired net connection so no need for wi-fi (which I understand can be a PITA). 

I'll be adding a new hard drive so, worse-case scenario, I can always plug-in the old SSD if I screw things up (sorry, when I screw things up!!)

Cheers

Andy

You should be able to use the extra file from the ssd. You may need new kexts for the gpu. As long as you have the old ssd, no harm in trying a new build to see how it goes.

Thanks for that. My experiment was, unfortunately, a failure.

I followed the guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/ 

I used the existing contents of the Extra folder from the existing set-up. Install and boot-up went fine but networking didn't work (no ethernet connection shown in System Preferences) and the audio didn't work either. I gave up at that point and reverted to the old SSD with 10.8 running on it. I'll need to do some Googling to see if there are some kexts for the motherboard.

If anyone stumbles across this and has the solution to getting Mavericks running on GA-Z77-DS3H (rev. 1.0) it'd be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

This is a bit of a (steep!) learning curve for me... Just found another guide that mentions copying across existing ketxs from System/Library/Extensions - I'm wondering whether, if I did that, I might have fared a little better!   

I'll do some more searching later and perhaps give it another shot in a few days once I've mustered the willpower and/or courage!

Thanks for the help again d620osx :)

As long as you have a good back up all you can do is test and restore if it does not work, read more and try again, that is how I got my one working.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By abhi.eternal
      I currently have High Sierra running on my Hackintosh, which I installed using MacPwn.

Now, there is an update on the App Store about Mojave. When I clicked download, it didn't download any large file that it did with earlier installations. I am guessing it's a web installer?

Anyway, can I upgrade directly using the installer (I have not started the download as there is no point if I can't) or can I upgrade using the MacPwn Mojave installer? Or is my only option is to do a clean installation of Mojave? TIA.
    • By Discount_Mac
      Hello everyone,

I was able to install macOS Sierra 10.12.6 a few months ago successfully with working audio, internet, etc.

But now I want to upgrade to High Sierra and am not sure whether or not it will be compatible with my system. (Tried to do it using a High Sierra USB. Wouldn't boot into installer, showed "+++++++++++++" or something.)

My specs are:
      Dell Optiplex 3010
      Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.40GHz (HD2500 Integrated Graphics)
      4GB of RAM
      NVIDIA Quadro FX1800 (Want to use this GPU, have an extra Radeon HD7470 somewhere that I can also use in this if needed)
      Conexant CX20641 Audio
      Realtek RTL8111E Ethernet

So, can I upgrade to High Sierra? Please let me know.

EDIT: I kept getting this error: (See attached image)

Thanks
      -Discount_Mac

• By ErmaC
      Enoch
      Latest revision of my Chameleon bootloader branch.

Not able to boot AFPS yet....

Please don't upload it on other servers and don't repack it, thank you.
      - Installer PKG
      - Binaries format (Manual install)

Chameleon bootloader credits goes to Chameleon Team http://forum.voodooprojects.org

Changelog: http://forge.voodoop...e/changes/HEAD/

This revision of Enoch contain the upcoming FileNVRAM revision 1.1.5 (RC8)
      Credits to Micky1979

Language Translation:

For on-line Chameleon language package resource edit
      >> Pootle

Pls translate/complete it.

Link here on InsanelyMac (Italian only): Enoch Bootloader

Enjoy

ErmaC
    • By Dubesor
      I know this is kind of broad, but if I build a workstation that's well supported on High Sierra now, how likely is it to still work well with the next major OSx release next fall?

If you had to guess, what % chance do I have of encountering major issues when trying to update next fall? The kinds of issues that would seriously interfere with my day to day work of photo and video editing? For example, kext/kernel panics (is that even a thing still?) or major pieces of hardware suddenly not being supported, and so on...

Has migrating your Hackintosh to the latest release has gotten easier in recent years? So for those of you who have been making builds for a while, is going from Sierra to High Sierra causing you fewer problems than Mavericks --> Yosemite for example or Yosemite --> El Capitan etc? 

Sorry if this is a bit broad and ignorant, but I've been away from the forums for quite a while and just trying to get a sense of how "stable" and "future-proof" Hackintoshes are these days - compared to Apple's own desktops ...

I'm OK not updating incrementally ie v13.1 to v13.2 if I need to, but I'm worried about having to start completely from scratch with each new main version.
    • By ErmaC
      Latest revision of Chameleon bootloader.

High Sierra(10.13.x), Sierra(10.12.x) and El Capitan(10.11.x) boot supported.
      Yosemite boot support starting from Chameleon revision 2381 (June 2014)

- Installer PKG
      - Binaries format (Manual install)

Credits to Chameleon Team http://forum.voodooprojects.org

Changelog: http://forge.voodoop...e/changes/HEAD/

Language Translation:

For on-line Chameleon language package resource edit
      >> Pootle

Pls translate/complete it.

Link here on InsanelyMac: Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

Enjoy

ErmaC