waldouk

Upgrading from 10.8 to 10.9

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

First time poster so please excuse my general lack of knowledge :D

I purchased a 'pre-built' Hackintosh around a year ago. It's been pretty smooth sailing, even given my lack of technical skills. I'm now looking at installing a larger SSD and, whilst I'm at it, upgrading to 10.9 Mavericks. 

Found a great guide on this here forum which looks relatively straightforward (even for me!) Only thing is, I'm not sure how I go about 'extracting' the customisations that were put in place by my kindly supplier to get the system running on 10.8. In other words, how do I extract the stuff in the 'Extra' folder (and elsewhere) to make the process of installing 10.9 as simple as possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

andy

Advertisement

Hi Andy,

You need to post your specs of the pc to see what you need in the extra folder.

Also worth taking a full backup of your system onto another drive and making sure you can boot from the other drive in case you have to roll back due to issues.

Hiya d620osx,

Thanks for the reply.  Spec below:

GIGABYTE Z77 chipset - z77-DS3H (http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4147#ov)

i7-2600K

Graphics - GIGABYTE GTX 470 Super over Clock (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/36477-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-470-super-overclock-review-5.html)

8GB RAM

Uses a wired net connection so no need for wi-fi (which I understand can be a PITA). 

I'll be adding a new hard drive so, worse-case scenario, I can always plug-in the old SSD if I screw things up (sorry, when I screw things up!!)

Cheers

Andy

You should be able to use the extra file from the ssd. You may need new kexts for the gpu. As long as you have the old ssd, no harm in trying a new build to see how it goes.

Thanks for that. My experiment was, unfortunately, a failure.

I followed the guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/ 

I used the existing contents of the Extra folder from the existing set-up. Install and boot-up went fine but networking didn't work (no ethernet connection shown in System Preferences) and the audio didn't work either. I gave up at that point and reverted to the old SSD with 10.8 running on it. I'll need to do some Googling to see if there are some kexts for the motherboard.

If anyone stumbles across this and has the solution to getting Mavericks running on GA-Z77-DS3H (rev. 1.0) it'd be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

This is a bit of a (steep!) learning curve for me... Just found another guide that mentions copying across existing ketxs from System/Library/Extensions - I'm wondering whether, if I did that, I might have fared a little better!   

I'll do some more searching later and perhaps give it another shot in a few days once I've mustered the willpower and/or courage!

Thanks for the help again d620osx :)

As long as you have a good back up all you can do is test and restore if it does not work, read more and try again, that is how I got my one working.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kylon
      Cloud Clover Editor is an open source application that allows you to manage various Hackintosh Bootloaders configs everywhere.

Open Cloud Clover Editor

Cloud Clover Editor Wiki
      Cloud Clover Editor Sources

Features
      Supports Clover EFI, Ozmosis, Chameleon, OpenCore GUI and Text Editor Mode CCE Bank Mobile friendly  
      Officially supported browsers
      Chrome 42+ Microsoft Edge 14+ Firefox 39+ Safari 10+ Opera 29+ Opera Mobile 12+ Chrome for Android 75+ Firefox for Android 67+  

Credits
      mackie100 - took some ideas from his app Clover EFI dev team Eric Slivka - new serial number Virtual1 - new serial number cecekpawon - PHP 5.3.3 patch, , help with the ACPI Loader Mode flag and more Micky1979 - Clover flying editor  (Discontinued) crusher. - Help with the ACPI Loader Mode flag Download-Fritz - Help with the ACPI Loader Mode flag Pavo - Ozmosis fields and values stehor - Ozmosis fields and values Sherlocks - General help and support gujiangjiang - General help and support  
      Please let me know if i forgot you!
    • By ciriousjoker
      TLDR:
      I'm trying to boot MacOS on a Chromebook without UEFI. I'm stuck at getting the bootloader (Chameleon/Clover) to work.  
      My setup / context:
      I have an Acer Chromebook Spin 13.
      Available ports:
      2 x USB-C 1 x USB-A 3.0 MicroSD Slot No USB A 2.0 (I've read that Clover has problems with USB 3.0) Firmware:
      There's no UEFI firmware available and by default, it doesn't even allow booting anything other than ChromeOS. Thanks to MrChromebox (big shoutouts!), I flashed a custom legacy bios that allows me to boot anything linux related. This bios is flashed into the RW_LEGACY section of the existing bootloader (coreboot afaik) and doesn't have any configuration options. If I have to change a setting, I could try compiling his bios payload myself with the specific setting enabled.  
      What I've tried so far:
      Chameleon attempts:
      Only selected setting was "Install chameleon on the chosen path", rest was unselected.

1 - Install chameleon first without restoring the basesystem:
      Output:
      > boot0: GPT
      > boot0: done
      (hangs; pressing power button once shuts down
      Chameleon installation log is attached as "Chameleon_Installer_Log_BEFORE".

2 - Install Chameleon after restoring the base system:
      Output:
      > boot0: doneboot1: /boot       <- Exactly like that, no line break in between
      (hangs; pressing power button once shuts down)

I haven't been able to reproduce #2 after wiping the drive and doing the same thing again. Subsequent attempts have resulted in either #1 of either Chameleon or Clover.
      Chameleon installation log is attached as "Chameleon_Installer_Log_AFTER".

Clover attempts:
      I tried multiple settings and configurations, but all of them boiled down to either one of these.

1 - Doesn't do anything, just hangs at "Booting from usb..."
      2 - Boots into the blue/grey mode as shown in the attached images.
      According to MrChromebox, this could be an old Tianocore DUET It doesn't detect anything (cpu frequency, ram, partitions or disks)  
      I've read pretty much every article, github readme and other types of documentation for coreboot, tianocore, clover, chameleon and MrChromebox' rw_legacy payloads and right now, I'm totally clueless as to what to try next...

A few questions that came up:
      Why does chameleon hang? What is it looking for, /boot was clearly written to the disk by the Chameleon installer? What exactly is the blue/grey image? According to MrChromebox, it could be Tianocore DUET Where does it come from? Clover? The mainboard itself? Why does the blue/grey thing not detect my processor frequency or any partitions/drives? Can I use some sort of DUET bootloader to chainload Clover?  
      If you guys could answer any of them or if you have any other guesses or information as to what's happening, I'd be really happy!
      Chameleon_Installer_Log_BEFORE.txt
      Chameleon_Installer_Log_AFTER.txt

• By Marko1401-
      Hi guys,

I bought a used Mac 2015 pro with a basic 120 GB SSD.

I'm considering upgrade options for it and want to have a 500 or 1TB option for it.

Basically apple has put a excruciating price tag for upgrades so I am considering sintech adapters and a standard NVME M2 SSD installation.

My question is, aside from Samsung 970 EVO, will other options such as WD Black NVME or SanDisk SSD work?

I'm not after huge write speeds, just after storage and decent performance.
      Samsung is a little bit expensive.

Thoughts?
    • By antonioruri
      Buongiorno, ho da poco messo a posto quasi tutto sulla mia prima configurazione hackintosh che va benissimo. In questi giorni è apparso l'aggiornamento di sicurezza di High Sierra come da titolo e me lo ha scaricato ma prima di partire con l'installazione vorrei avere delle delucidazioni riguardo agli aggiornamenti in generale soprattutto ai minor, per ora non ho bisogno di aggiornare a Mojave.
      Si corrono dei rischi ad eseguire aggiornamenti di questo tipo (sicurezza come in questo caso) o ad esempio a versioni piu nuove dello stesso sistema MacOS? Se sì quali sono e come si prevengono? 
      Non vorrei ritrovarmi a dover re installare tutto formattando il disco partendo da zero. Qualche tempo fa ad mio amico succedeva che il disco veniva crittografato con "Filevault" e diventava inaccessibile, questo dopo un minor update, al che ha dovuto ricominciare da 0. Cos'è il Filevault? Potrebbe capitare questo anche a me? Vorrei sapere tutto prima di andare a fare delle minchiate.
      Grazie in anticipo a chi vorrà e avrà la pazienza aiutarmi. 
    • By End3rPower50
      Hi, i want to buy "Broadcom bcm94350zae" for my laptop
      is this compatible with macOS Mojave?