pokenguyen

[Guide] AIO Guides For Hackintosh

607 posts in this topic

The right hardware for your Hackintosh

Here are some useful information when buying a laptop or building a Hackintosh, or probably been asking yourself “Is my PC fully support or what ?”. The GPU is considered the most important part of the Hackintosh ( if it can’t work you can’t see the screen or the animation’s laggy as hell ).

CPU

All CPUs starting from Intel Core 2 Duo up to now (Haswell) is supported, except for Pentium Haswell, it’s reported as not compatible with Mavericks. Be careful when buying these CPUs.

Most AMD CPUs are supported thanks to the modded kernel allowing AMD CPUs to run OS X, more info can be found here. Note that Intel Pentium D and some unsupported Intel CPU can use this AMD kernel as well.

Integrated GPU (iGPU)

With Mavericks, these iGPUs are native support:

• Intel HD Graphics on 1st Generation Intel Core i Processor (Arrandale, need some kexts modding )
  • Intel HD 3000 on 2nd Generation Intel Core i Processor ( Sandy Bridge )
  • Intel HD 4000 on 3rd Generation Intel Core i Processor ( Ivy Bridge )
  • Intel HD 4400 (laptop only) /4600/5000/Iris on 4th Generation Intel Core i Processor ( Haswell )

Please note that desktop HD4000 and above only works with QE/CI if you connect by DVI/HDMI/DP ports, no QE/CI on VGA port!

These iGPUs are not supported by OS X Mavericks:

• Intel MHD4500/X3100 and earlier
  • Intel HD Graphics on 2nd Generation Intel Pentium/Celeron and later
  • Intel HD 2000
  • Intel HD 2500 (Rarely works)
  • Intel HD 4400 Desktop (Rarely works)

Discrete GPU

Please note that laptops with AMD Switchable Graphics or nVidia Optimus with both Intel HD + AMD/nVidia card will only be able to use Intel HD, unless you have the option to turn off Intel HD in BIOS.

These GPUs are supported (the list may be incompleted or not correct at some points, please inform me about the GPU that works for you but not on the list or the one not works):

• nVidia 7000 Series
  • nVidia 8000 Series
  • nVidia 9000 Series
  • nVidia GT 200 Series
  • nVidia GT 400 Series
  • nVidia GT 500 Series
  • nVidia GT 600 Series
  • nVidia GT 700 Series ( stay away from the GTX 750 and GTX 750Ti which use the new Maxwell architecture which hasn’t been confirmed working or not )
  • nVidia GTX Titan ( the Z version hasn’t been tested yet )
  • nVidia Quadro 4000
  • nVidia GT 520M, 540M and 630M ( laptop with discrete GPUs )
  • nVidia GTX 675M, 760M, 765M, 770M
  • nVidia NVS 5200M
  • nVidia Quadro 1000M, 2000M
  • AMD 4000 Series
  • AMD 5000 Series
  • AMD 6600, 6700, 6800 Series
  • AMD 7750, 7770, 7870, 7950, 7970
  • AMD R7-200 R9-200 Series ( supported on OS X 10.10)
  • AMD 4650M, 5470M, 7650M

These GPUs are not supported (the list may be incompleted or not correct at some points , please inform me about the GPU that didn’t works for you but not on the list or the one works):

• AMD 6400 Series
  • AMD 6500 Series
  • AMD 6900 Series
  •  

Note that laptops that use CPU ES (Engineering Sample) or use Samsung panel can’t enable QE/CI.

RAM

The minimum requirements for Mavericks is 2Gb of RAM, 4GB is enough to run things smoothly. If you want to run virtual machines or multiple softwares, 8GB of RAM or more is recommended.

Audio

Most audio codecs as of now is supported through VoodooHDA, but the sound can be not so nice comparing to Windows. We can patch AppleHDA to overcome VoodooHDA’s weakness (need advance techniques). Most of codecs that can be patched, except some stubborn chipset.

If you need high quality audio, it's best to buy a Mac-compatible DAC or soundcard.

Ethernet

Most ethernet chips are supported except for these:

• Realtek 8169 (Random kernel panic)
  • Ethernet Killer (Only the Atheros Killer E2200 is usable)

Wireless card

A pain for laptop users is that most built-in wireless cards aren’t supported. You can always find and replace your unsupported one.

Here is the list of supported and unsupported card ( Yellow means work with WifiInjector kext, Green means work OOB, red means unsupported, HMB cards are cards also have Bluetooth )

Or you can use a wifi dongle which is supported by OS X, but it also has downsides like battery draining, weak signal or causing sleep issues.

Hackintoshes can be made with Skylake CPUs, the only caveat being they have to identify as the latest iMacs because the iMac is currently the only legitimate Mac to use Skylake CPUs. Also, it’s not entirely accurate that only the Atheros Killer E2200 is usable in OS X instead of newer versions. You can actually use the Atheros E2400: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300056-solution-for-qualcomm-atheros-ar816x-ar817x-and-killer-e220x/page-8?do=findComment&comment=2192549

Edited by Allan
Spoiler tag added

Advertisement

Hackintoshes can be made with Skylake CPUs, the only caveat being they have to identify as the latest iMacs because the iMac is currently the only legitimate Mac to use Skylake CPUs. Also, it’s not entirely accurate that only the Atheros Killer E2200 is usable in OS X instead of newer versions. You can actually use the Atheros E2400: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300056-solution-for-qualcomm-atheros-ar816x-ar817x-and-killer-e220x/page-8?do=findComment&comment=2192549

It's been a year since it's been last updated, what do you expect ?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/?p=2030060

Dear all friend, i follow post above to patch AppleHDA on the fly, but unsuccessful, this is error i got:

Of course i patched AppleHDA.kext is full, but when try patch on the fly is fail. Please explain for me, friend

230Khq.png

aJywa5.png
I think it fail cause DummyKext not load, right? How to fix it?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/?p=2030060

Dear all friend, i follow post above to patch AppleHDA on the fly, but unsuccessful, this is error i got:

Of course i patched AppleHDA.kext is full, but when try patch on the fly is fail. Please explain for me, friend

230Khq.png

aJywa5.png
I think it fail cause DummyKext not load, right? How to fix it?

This DummyHDA is too old now. Please take a look at AppleALC and its wiki. You can created your own custom AppleALC for your PC

This DummyHDA is too old now. Please take a look at AppleALC and its wiki. You can created your own custom AppleALC for your PC

Thanks your support, i got it. But all thing i do above is right way, aren't you?

According to post #10 i format partition with the following guide using command prompt and active it at the last process after formatting but on installation the partition shows as "System" and it can't be formatted and Installation button remains hide, any further guidance to sort it out?

How to download installer PROPERLY in VMs (Vituralbox and VMWare ; Under construction)

VMs have a problem after downloading the installer, because they shrink the size of the installer. If you don't have a Mac/Hackintosh and came to the problem. There is a way to fix it.

STEP 1: You need to download the patcher tool.

• For macOS Sierra: http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html
  • For macOS High Sierra: http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/
  • For macOS Mojave: http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

Click "here" / "Direct" (Mojave installer) from the text "A copy of the tool - Download here"

STEP 2: Open the file from the dmg.

STEP 3: On the topbar, Press tools, and press "Download macOS (name)"

downloadMacOS.png.4412d87823271ff027a92b514c53deda.png

STEP 3: Put the installer to /Applications (recommended)

It will download the installer and you have a fully, non-shrinked macOS installer!