Project AnodizeD: G5 mod

Razzle_Dazzle

107 posts in this topic

Go, go, go ... Great working :-) 

thank you very much :) New parts are arriving tomorrow I will be able to continue and hopefully finish it all off soon. I need to get some primer and I want to invest in some silver carbon fiber vinyl sheet to do the entire external case. Not sure if I want to go that route just yet

April .8 and April .14

So a quick update 

I went ahead and did more fill in as well as sanding on the I/O panel

100_2245.jpg

From the last point on the front end panel I went ahead and filled and filed the port for the USB it did take me some time and spots of body fill to get it right but the end speak for themselves.  

100_2247.jpg

At this point I had to set the hackintosh aside and help a new client out select hardware for a Mid-high level gamer PC made but not solely for skyrim mmo. So I am setting the project on hold this coming week as I build a clients PC.

So I am back,

While I wait for my clients hardware to arrive by tomorrow I decide to finish off on some minor things. 

a quick show of the finish sleeving and laced PCI-e x6 and x8. I will be swapping out the red quick disconnect for white ones.

100_2266.jpg

I do like to recycle my parts and having to let go the original connection from the G5 case was a no to me so I sleeved and lace them as well together. 

100_2267.jpg

I still have a few more things to sleeve but sadly I ran out of sleeving, I will have to order two set of black sleeving and a set of grey sleeving as well as a set of neon green sleeving for my clients computer. 

100_2272.jpg

this is all I managed to do so far, yes it is not much but the lack of funds as well as the upcoming work for a client has put a halt on my work. Till next time. 

April .18 and April .22

So I got my order of two 25feet black sleeving, I order the adapter for 50pin to SATA which should arrive soon. 

I went ahead and sleeved my power cable, my x4 and x4 to x8 adapter for the northern bridge power cable. 

100_2300.jpg

I didn't heat shrink the ends I decide to hold off till I figure out how to set the holes on the PSU cover for both cable. 

100_2301.jpg

the Red is still a little show throw :/ oh well i am short on time

100_2302.jpg

That is it for today, clients are swinging around. Lot of other things to do..

Today I got the new adapter I am so happy :) 

the 50pin to SATA with floppy 4 pin to molex adapter

100_2303.jpg

It did come with a SATA cable but I will not be needing to use it

100_2304.jpg

Just for the fun of it, I decide to sleeve the adapter power cable

100_2307.jpg

Been back and forth helping clients out and doing other things. I will be coming back to finish off my hackintosh built. May I willl be on vacation till june or july. So will be seeing you less and less while I am roaming around on vacation. 

Very nice.
I used too the laptop dvd rom adapter for my old mod (a pc in the Nintendo NES case).
But in the new version i used an DVD RW with sata connection.

Only 1 thing, the heatshrinks is not too long?

P.S.

Happy holidays if you are christian :angel:

Very nice.

I used too the laptop dvd rom adapter for my old mod (a pc in the Nintendo NES case).

P.S.

thank you, The original apple optical drive slot came from a G5 laptop lol :) it is a very good adapt I am hoping the part will work fine.

The heat sink does seem long but I was not able to slide it further in as I would like. I had struggled to actually slide them on as far as I could lol

Thank you, I am christian happy belated Easter  Sunday.  :angel_not:

April .25, April .26 and April. 29

So I am back and this time I have taken the big step to doing the back panel I/O.

Before I work on the back I needed to put the whole case together 

100_2310.jpg

100_2309.jpg

I ran out of battery for my camera and didn't want to bother using my nokia window 8 phone for any snap shoots but in either case I went ahead and mocked out the motherboard tray as well as the PSU cover. 

Back with battery 

so last time I left off I had a mock place where I was to cut

By this time I mocked out where the back panel port will sit and plotted out my plan to cut.

100_2311.jpg

I didn't bother in take picture of cutting the back out so i decide to move a long

I got the back end back in place for the fan slot. I went and moved it further closer to the left side. This left me with some big holes to fill in. Looks like more JB weld

100_2312.jpg

I ran out of JB weld and had to run out to the store. Got myself a new set of tube to work with

I went ahead and started to fill some holes in with more JB weld, Yes the case was upside down when I took the shoot lol

100_2313.jpg

This is all I was able to do, right now I am working on the I/O panel I will be filling some spot with JB weld and the rest with body fill. Lets hope I finish before the 5th. I leave on my vacation on the 6th :) wish me luck 3 day bus ride heading mid north west. 

Ah, you have moved the fan holes to left, for this reason you have cut that area.

Good job and happy vacation.

Ah, you have moved the fan holes to left, for this reason you have cut that area.

Good job and happy vacation.

Correct, I needed to make space for the I/O panel so i decide to move it left more. Looking at it I think I didn't space the fan correctly. the lower fan will hit the PSU cover so I might end up patching the lower fan hole and leaving the upper fan hole as well I will leave some spot on the back end covered. 

My vacation will start soon which is nice but I picked a poor time to start my vacation I will not be able to finish the project so I leave it for now. I will every now and then come back to check up on the sight.

Yes, probably the fan holes it's too near at the I/O's panel hole, in the Laser Hive back plate, the holes are left-most.

How long will your vacation?

Yes, probably the fan holes it's too near at the I/O's panel hole, in the Laser Hive back plate, the holes are left-most.

How long will your vacation?

Yeah i made sure the panel cleared before putting the back fan holes in. They are a little more down then I would have liked so I will adjust when I come back.

The vacation will be for a couple of months. My girlfriend and her roommate want to take me to places and to a Renaissance fair :) 

Super vacation.
One friend of mine, he play fantasy rpg live, and build weapons & armour, once playing D&D and Vampire the Masquerade, now probably Games of Thrones.

Super vacation.

One friend of mine, he play fantasy rpg live, and build weapons & armour, once playing D&D and Vampire the Masquerade, now probably Games of Thrones.

I have friends who build and collect armor and my girlfriend roommate collect different swords :) I would love to rpg and I loved playing D&D when I was a teenager lol 

I still have the 1° editions D&D manuals (Base, Expert, Companion & Master) unfortunately Immortal has not been translated in italian :(
Now we play warhammer 40,000, Peter Pan syndrome XD

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

hello my friend, it has been a long time since I was on here. Your power board mod looks awesome :) I am working none stop where I live in north dakota. Very good amount of jobs with great pay. I will eventually move again else where and drive back to my home state to gather my things as well as my G5 case mod :) I hope you keep up on your mod. I want to see your case when it is complete

• 1 month later...

Hello, sorry if I answer late, i'm happy you are ok, in Italy job and a good pay do not get along :( .

Anyway, i have decided to open a window in the side of the case, laser hive have a kit for that.

In addition to, i want liquid cooled the PSU, i don't if is a good idea, but i want to try it.

Between 1 to 2 weeks, i end to work, and and I will continue the mod of the G5.

Bye

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly you are better off loading mosfets and high RPM fans on your PSU.

I know, but i leave the original fans, it's only a whim, and I'm not sure that I will do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, sorry if I answer late, i'm happy you are ok, in Italy job and a good pay do not get along :( .

Anyway, i have decided to open a window in the side of the case, laser hive have a kit for that.

In addition to, i want liquid cooled the PSU, i don't if is a good idea, but i want to try it.

Between 1 to 2 weeks, i end to work, and and I will continue the mod of the G5.

Bye

Hello my friend :) I am back for now. I am up state right now. I will be back to miami florida and back to my mod with in a couple of months. I can not wait to see your mod and water cool sounds great!. I am  working around lubuntu 14.04 right now on my HP laptop,  I am planning now to do a dual boot system and am thinking about using KDE or ubuntu with window 8.1 (or 9 when it comes out) 

Very nice.

P.S.

I'm a christain too happy thanksgiving.