Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

New build configuration advice

2 posts in this topic

Hey all, I've been following hackintosh forums for awhile, finally decided to register and get involved. My tax return is burning a hole in my pocket and I haven't built a computer since I was 10-11 (I'm 19 now). Anyways, after the research I've done, I compiled a build together, but I wanted to ask the community about what you guys think. 

I will be dual booting Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (haven't decided yet) and OSX Mavericks. The machine I want to build will mainly be for lots of graphic/web design work, university work, and possibly getting into some basic 3D work for said design work. I left room for upgradability down the line. I haven't decided if I really want to pull the trigger on this build or not. I currently work on a 15" early 2011 Macbook Pro. 

My main questions for this build: Does this build have longevity and does it have a good amount of power for what I'm building it for? I personally think it does from what I know, but what do you guys think?

I'm considering more RAM, a larger Mac OSX SSD, and possibly a different Mother Board. I'm not too impressed with this CPU cooler either. 
Thanks everyone for your time. 

That should be quite a nice system.

I have a very similar 3770K based machine (overclocked to 4.2 GHz) that performs very well for similar work, although I use a Quadro 4000 rather than the 770 as I use it for Architectural visualisation. Given the way OS X handles GPUs I have been considering changing over to a 770/780.

Longevity wise it should be good for a reasonable while. My build was completed shortly after Ivy Bridge was released and, with its overclock, it gets better geekbench scores than the 6 core nMP.