[SUCCESS] on Gigabyte Z77-D3H; Intel i7 @ 3.40GHz; Nvidia GTX 660 3GB

max4143

1 post in this topic

1421456intro.png
First things first, I won't tell you everything how I've done it, because I'm to stupid for it! :wink_anim: Anyways, let's start that I do an educational training right now and we're working with iMac's, someday it annoyed me to work 5 days with a Mac and 2 days with a PC. So I decided to make a Hackingtosh Build. Today I want to give you my thoughts about my Build, what kext's I've used and of course, the world's most important advice, what isn't working.
(Or at least I couldn't get to work, because I don't care about that one)

(And I really like pixel art btw.)

5048097setup.png

• MoBo — Gigabyte Z77-D3H
  • CPU — Intel i7 3770 @ 3.4GHz
  • GPU — EVGA Nvidia GTX660 3GB
  • RAM — 2x Kingston 99U5471 4GB each
  • HDD — 1x Samsung 1TB SATA; 2x Server Drives with 120GB each (unknown and dead german company)
  • DVD-Drive — Samsung (who wants to know that {censored}, I don't)
  • Power supply — 1000 Watts (same company as the HDD's, I own this PS for ages now :o, doesn't fit properly in the case tho... )
  • Case — NZXT source 210, white, as a Hackingtosh should be!

Hot pics of are attached below  :yes:

Photos.zip

6587352thanks.png

dcai777 – for the buying advice and OS Setup

Laberlohe – for the CPU compatibility buying advice

keiner99 – for the Gigabyte MoBo recommendation and informing me about the Ozmosis Bios (Flashing the Bios was really easy btw.)

6362033drivers.png

*will be done when I'm home :angel_not: *

Overall view ( no sexy pixel art picture of that Title D: )
It was worth buying thoose parts, in the future I'll be buying a SSD and 3 Monitors too, but right now it's ok.

What does not work?
USB WiFi was a pain to get working and after tons of kexts installing and removing I've found a working one. But I still  getting disconnected sometimes for no reason.
Sadly that you cannot use the internal GPU with the PCI one, even tho it's set in UEF. In any Linux distro that works. The Reason for the 3 new monitors are basicly that the current one's are too old and not the same inch size, in fact, they're still VGA Monitors. But the other Reason is, that the EVGA Card only has one DVI-I connector that can be converted to VGA, DVI-D isn't possible to VGA and HDMI to VGA is first dumb and second of all, not that cheap.

What I'm happy with.
Everything is really smooth, couldn't play any games but cinebench told me that it should be good. Also if anyone wants to know this, Minecraft with Ultra shaders works fine.
(That was the only game that I could download quickly)
12760_652074124859655_1621406030_n.jpg
And that's the thing why I like Unix, it can't crash and/or slow down you're PC after having it for like 3 years. If a Applications isn't responding, just force it to close, not like windows to wait for everything.

I've compared the PC at work ( iMac8,1 ) and mine with some CPU/RAM/GPU intensive Apps like SublimeText (while running a python code to generate a file with 500k empty lines with a delay of 1000ms) After Effects, Illustrator, InDesign, Blender, Parallels and Chrome (80+ Tabs opened), the iMac clearly lost, but I was amazed that mine didn't even slow down, I even had 20% CPU free to use!  :thumbsup_anim:

1655480_652076794859388_1036910188_o.jpg

So that's that - I guess, have a good day, dcai777 forced me to do this, it hurt me.  :(
My name is max by the way..  :rofl: