Severe Bios Problem (I've had OS X on my Comp for a month now)

BirdofTruth

11 posts in this topic

For some reason whenever I restart, my comp Acronis Loader is always looking for a Configuration disk

I have never had this problem before. I have been able to seemlessly go back and forth between XP and OS X (Jas 10.4) on 3.0 Pent IV HT.

It all happened when I clicked on Os Selector (in Windows) to hit mac, and it would always ask to restart my computer, I would do it so it could switch without haveing me to tell it to switch to mac. Now i am just stuck on the Bios Screen asking "Starting Acronis Loader, Please load a Configuration disk then press enter" I have not been able to workaround this, I have only gotten into to Setup BIos Screen but didn't help.

I need immediate help because I am in a library and only have a limited time.

Acronis gets corrupted easily. It sounds corrupted. During installation of Acronis, it recommends making a configuration CD so you can repair it. If you did not do that, you have a problem.

If you do not have any utility CD's with you, then you probably cannot resolve this in the library.

MBR - If you had a Windows installer CD, you could boot it and go into Recovery console and run FIXMBR and FIXBOOT. If you had the OSX install DVD, you could boot into the installer, go to Terminal in the Utilities menu and type the following:

fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

rdisk0 is used for the 1st hard drive, rdisk1 is for the 2nd hard drive, etc.

If you had a Hiren's or Ultimate utility CD, you could boot it and perform a variety of repairs.

I do still have to Jas 10.4 MAC OSX install disk, how do I get to that part? Do I have to install the OS again, because the farthest you can go without installing it is to the volume part of the Mac Installation part (where you select which volume you want the OS to go on.

If I have to install to OS Xs on my one Partitioned hardrive, how would I go about deleting the seond one.

thanks

oh BTW for code fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

would I then do rdisk1 after I do 0 (which I beleive my win XP is on 0 and OSx is on 1, shared on 2)

Just boot the install DVD to the first screen of the installer. As I said, go to the Utilities menu and select Terminal. Actually, you can go all the way into the installer up to the point right before clicking the Install button without actually installing.

Personally, I'm not convinced fixing your MBR will fix Acronis, but good luck.

Which hard drive is Acronis on? The first hard drive (use rdisk0)? The 2nd hard drive (use rdisk1)?

Not partition - sounds like Windows is the first partition and OSX is the 2nd partition on the same hard drive.

yea, Acronis is on Windows which would be the first partition.

(so once I finally fix the MBR, will I still be able to go into mac like normal or will I have to reinstall Acronis OS Selector to be able to go into my MAC OS system?

Yea I dont have two hardrives, only one 200GB with 3 partitions.

Windows, Mac, and SHared

LOOK - fixing MBR has nothing to do with partitions (primarily). It has to do with repairing the boot records which are in a little section at the beginning of the hard drive.

You may be having MBR trouble on the hard drive that has Acronis on it. It has nothing to do with what partition Windows or OSX is on.

Again, I don't think repairing MBR is going to fix this. But I hope it does. If it fixes it, then Acronis should work and you will be able to access both of your partitions. But I suspect you will be doing some reinstalling of Acronis before this is over.

You can always boot into OSX using your install DVD. On the first screen, it asks if you want to hit F8 and it also performs a countdown. After the countdown, it should boot OSX. If it doesn't, instead, hit F8 on that first screen and then select OSX to boot.

Get yourself one or more utility CD's

Look for an Acronis CD that says it is "bootable" or "restore". It should be able to fix your Acronis bootloader.

Get the Hiren's or Ultimate CD. They contain lots of utilities for repairing problems. They could potentially fix or remove Acronis. They potentially could replace Acronis with another bootloader.

OSX comes with its own bootloader. It is very simple. It is not pretty, but it works. If you get Acronis off of your hard drive, you can consider using the OSX bootloader.

For OSX Bootloader - you must set the OSX partition "active". Use a Windows/Linux disk/partition utility or use Fdisk built into OSX: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

Once you get into OSX, modify the timeout parameter in boot.plist to reveal the bootloader: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=188186

Alas, it worked, I am at home with my working Windows XP. I did exactly as you said, did Mac Startup fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

and I restarted right back to windows.

As I expected, it over overwrited OSelector so it is now not active...do you feel it is worth trying to activate it again? or do you feel it is probably so corrupt its not worth trying again.

P.S. just to make sure, Uninstalling OSelector won't screw up my partitions in anyway will it?