[PROBLEM] Mac OS X with Linux boot failure?

6 posts in this topic

Hello fellow users,

I have a Dell Vostro 220s (Slim Tower) with an Intel 32-bit Pentium with 3 GB of memory. Hard drive is a 160 GB with Mac OS X 10.9.1 and a 500 GB hard drive used for expansion with this configuration.

I want to use the 500 GB hard drive for installing a Linux distro (elementary OS), partitioning only 100 GB, which leads to "dual-booting", but when I installed it on the hard drive, and yes, I double checked I didn't format the Mac partition, and rebooted it, I got a boot0 error. My bootloader is Chameleon. When I tried a bootloader from a CD, it couldn't detect ANY partitions in the computer.

To to sum it up, how to fix? And if it's even possible to recover my info on the Mac partition, how to properly dual boot Linux and Mac?

Thanks,

LZ

boot with the usb (Chameleon Installer) on the Mavericks Installation go to disk utility and clic to your partition drive you have Installe .

and clic Unmount 

see this picture 

01110.png

Now quit the disk Utility and open the terminal Utility 

and type this 

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

quit the terminal and quit the Installation , reboot to your HDD  ;)

boot with the usb (Chameleon Installer) on the Mavericks Installation go to disk utility and clic to your partition drive you have Installe .

and clic Unmount

see this picture

01110.png

Now quit the disk Utility and open the terminal Utility

and type this

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

quit the terminal and quit the Installation , reboot to your HDD ;)

When I booted the USB bootloader, when I tried to find the partition, it cannot find "mach-kernel", that's why it doesn't show up on the bootloader. If the kernel is indeed gone, there is a chance the partition might be damaged, and to put it in English, screwed.

You sure this method will work, based on the new info I gave? (Sorry, should have mentioned it earlier)

Cant find mach_kernel and boot0 error is different  :)   try to boot with the usb to your 

installation drive  and  type the  flag GraphicsEnabler=No -v -x 

if its work, reinstall the latest chameleon   ;)

Cant find mach_kernel and boot0 error is different :) try to boot with the usb to your

installation drive and type the flag GraphicsEnabler=No -v -x

if its work, reinstall the latest chameleon ;)

Thanks for your help, but there is NOTHING in the partition. It somehow got wiped. Reinstalling Mavericks now.

• 2 months later...