Mac App Store access with NullEthernet.kext

RehabMan

136 posts in this topic

Thank you so much! My built in Ethernet on my DG41TY motherboard is acting dead so i had no way to fix iTunes, App Store and so on because i needed an ethernet on en0, anyways i used this and bam everything is working! Only thing i don't like is i haven't figure out a way to use this and DSDT and still use Clover, I'm sure there is a way but i can't figure it out and Clover made the whole system just seem more snappier and i had awesome graphics support, with Mulitbeast its a hit and miss, sometimes i get awesome graphics and sometimes they are laggy. Not sure whats up with that but i digress. If anyone has a guide to do this with Clover it would be amazing! Thank you so much for this! (: 

Thank you so much! My built in Ethernet on my DG41TY motherboard is acting dead so i had no way to fix iTunes, App Store and so on because i needed an ethernet on en0, anyways i used this and bam everything is working! Only thing i don't like is i haven't figure out a way to use this and DSDT and still use Clover, I'm sure there is a way but i can't figure it out and Clover made the whole system just seem more snappier and i had awesome graphics support, with Mulitbeast its a hit and miss, sometimes i get awesome graphics and sometimes they are laggy. Not sure whats up with that but i digress. If anyone has a guide to do this with Clover it would be amazing! Thank you so much for this! (:

You can use Clover with this method. It is bootloader agnostic.

You can use Clover with this method. It is bootloader agnostic.

Yeah, I use Clover and works fine. You can either, add the actual LAN device on your DSDT, or add the RMNE device at the end. Both methods work fine with NullEthernet. If you don't use DSDT, you can always use NullEthernetInjector.kext. 

Clover is so "clever" (badumtsss) that you can place both kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 and it will load them for you and they won't even appear in System Profiler. I actually have all my hackintosh kexts there (FakeSMC, GenericUSBXHCI, NullEthernet). I have clover installed on another disk. Besides AppleHDA patching, my system is so vanilla, that I can boot a bootable USB drive with Yosemite and do a clean install and everything will boot just fine.

Cheers!

Clover is so "clever" (badumtsss) that you can place both kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 and it will load them for you and they won't even appear in System Profiler. I actually have all my hackintosh kexts there (FakeSMC, GenericUSBXHCI, NullEthernet). I have clover installed on another disk. Besides AppleHDA patching, my system is so vanilla, that I can boot a bootable USB drive with Yosemite and do a clean install and everything will boot just fine.

I do not recommend this configuration.

Install all kexts you need to /S/L/E. Reserve kext injection for cases where it is actually needed (installer, recovery).

Certain kexts do not work reliably with kext injection. For example, kexts that have dependencies where the dependencies are not necessarily loaded by something else in /S/L/E... one such example is networking kexts with dependencies on IONetworkingFamily.kext. As is the case with NullEthernet.kext...

You can work around it with ForceKextsToLoad, but why?... Just install to /S/L/E so everything can go in kernel cache.

• Like 1

I do not recommend this configuration.

Install all kexts you need to /S/L/E. Reserve kext injection for cases where it is actually needed (installer, recovery).

Certain kexts do not work reliably with kext injection. For example, kexts that have dependencies where the dependencies are not necessarily loaded by something else in /S/L/E... one such example is networking kexts with dependencies on IONetworkingFamily.kext. As is the case with NullEthernet.kext...

You can work around it with ForceKextsToLoad, but why?... Just install to /S/L/E so everything can go in kernel cache.

Thanks for that, but in my case, I tried both NullEthernet and NullEthernetInjector and worked fine on my system. Right now I'm using a DSDT, so I don't need an injector and everything works fine. Actually I don't see any performance hit, so I assume the kextcache is loaded. I have an SSD, but on a SATA 2 port, so, is not that fast, and still, OSX loads under 10 seconds.

I have Clover installed on another disk and it boots fine the installer and recovery partition, so I conclude everything is fine.

But now I have a concern: if I regenerate the kext cache with, lets say, Kext Utility, the kexts stored in EFI/Clover/kexts won't load????

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Cheers!

Thanks for that, but in my case, I tried both NullEthernet and NullEthernetInjector and worked fine on my system. Right now I'm using a DSDT, so I don't need an injector and everything works fine. Actually I don't see any performance hit, so I assume the kextcache is loaded. I have an SSD, but on a SATA 2 port, so, is not that fast, and still, OSX loads under 10 seconds.

I have Clover installed on another disk and it boots fine the installer and recovery partition, so I conclude everything is fine.

But now I have a concern: if I regenerate the kext cache with, lets say, Kext Utility, the kexts stored in EFI/Clover/kexts won't load????

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Cheers!

Once you get a kext in the cache, it tends to stay there. The problems happen if you boot without a certain kext loaded (eg. it wasn't installed, or didn't load due to configuration at the time), that it can be tricky to get the kext to repopulate in kext cache.

Even one of the Clover devs (apianti) has suggested that kext injection is overused/abused and that kexts should be installed to /S/L/E.

Your system... you don't have to listen to my advice or the advice of any of the Clover devs...

Once you get a kext in the cache, it tends to stay there. The problems happen if you boot without a certain kext loaded (eg. it wasn't installed, or didn't load due to configuration at the time), that it can be tricky to get the kext to repopulate in kext cache.

Even one of the Clover devs (apianti) has suggested that kext injection is overused/abused and that kexts should be installed to /S/L/E.

Your system... you don't have to listen to my advice or the advice of any of the Clover devs...

Of course I take special attention to your advice and I thank you for that. In my case it works really well and I like that the system is really vanilla, except for AppleHDA that is patched to work with my ALC889. Other than that, everything works really great.

I also want to thank you for NullEthernet because it works as intended for my Marvel 88E8057 that won't ever be supported in OS X.

Cheers!

Of course I take special attention to your advice and I thank you for that. In my case it works really well and I like that the system is really vanilla, except for AppleHDA that is patched to work with my ALC889. Other than that, everything works really great.

I also want to thank you for NullEthernet because it works as intended for my Marvel 88E8057 that won't ever be supported in OS X.

Cheers!

Installing to Clover/kexts actually makes your system "less vanilla" (as far as the kernel runtime environment).

But you can do what you please...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,,

Hoping you guys can help me!

I'm using a mac book air which I water damaged a year or so back, I managed to get it fixed to the extent that it all runs but with use of a USB wifi adapter. The internal card is not recognised and it's as if it doesn't exist. This has led to the verification error in the app store.

I tried this method and managed to install the kext but became unstuck when DSDT was mentioned. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to anything like this so an idiots guide would be welcomed!

Please can you guys help or offer a suggestion of an alternative solution if not.

Cheers!

Hi all,,

Hoping you guys can help me!

I'm using a mac book air which I water damaged a year or so back, I managed to get it fixed to the extent that it all runs but with use of a USB wifi adapter. The internal card is not recognised and it's as if it doesn't exist. This has led to the verification error in the app store.

I tried this method and managed to install the kext but became unstuck when DSDT was mentioned. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to anything like this so an idiots guide would be welcomed!

Please can you guys help or offer a suggestion of an alternative solution if not.

Cheers!

Does the device still show on the PCI bus? Run DPCIManager->PCIList to find out.

If not, you would need to "hack the Mac"... eg. use a hackintosh bootloader (Clover) that allows you to provide a patched DSDT or SSDT. That's the only way to make the kext load and make the device appear "built-in".

If it does show on the PCI bus (but the drivers fail to initialize due to hardware defects), then you can use an injector kext to get NullEthernet.kext to load and attach to it.

Thanks rehab man

This shows in the list:

14E4, A8D8, 14E4, A8D8, Broadcom Corporation, BCM43224/5 Wireless Network Adapter

Is that the one?

Since it is still on the bus, you can use the injector kext method. No need for DSDT/SSDT edits/inject.

Modify the Info.plist in NullEthernetInjector.kext to match your hardware. Install both NullEthernetInjector.kext and NullEthernet.kext. If this is Yosemite, you'll need to use kext-dev-mode=1, of course.

Since it is still on the bus, you can use the injector kext method. No need for DSDT/SSDT edits/inject.

Modify the Info.plist in NullEthernetInjector.kext to match your hardware. Install both NullEthernetInjector.kext and NullEthernet.kext. If this is Yosemite, you'll need to use kext-dev-mode=1, of course.

Thanks, that sounds like a good thing!

How do I modify the plist and what do I need to edit within in - total newbie to this. Cheers man!

Thanks, that sounds like a good thing!

How do I modify the plist and what do I need to edit within in - total newbie to this. Cheers man!

Change the IOPCIMatch to match your device. If what you wrote in post #86 is accurate (I suspect it is NOT), 0xa8d814e4.

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I just installed a new copy of Yosemite but I need to use a wifi USB key for web access and obviously I got this Mac App Store problem. My question is: when RehabMan in his GitHub how to says

"Clover: Place in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ssdt-X.aml where 'X' is some number that you're not already using for SSDTs"

How can I know which one am I actually using? Thanks everyone!

Hi all! I just installed a new copy of Yosemite but I need to use a wifi USB key for web access and obviously I got this Mac App Store problem. My question is: when RehabMan in his GitHub how to says

"Clover: Place in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ssdt-X.aml where 'X' is some number that you're not already using for SSDTs"

How can I know which one am I actually using? Thanks everyone!

If you have a file already present with the name you were thinking of using, then it is already being used.

The point is... add the SSDT to the existing set.

Hi RehabMan, first thanks for your fast reply and sorry for the delayed mine but I wasn't at home.. So, correct me if I'm wrong, I have to copy the ssdt-rmne.aml file into the suggested path (/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched) and renaming it for example as ssdt-6.aml (I've actually ssdt-3.aml, ssdt-4.aml and ssdt-5.aml), right? Thanks for your patience!

Hi RehabMan, first thanks for your fast reply and sorry for the delayed mine but I wasn't at home.. So, correct me if I'm wrong, I have to copy the ssdt-rmne.aml file into the suggested path (/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched) and renaming it for example as ssdt-6.aml (I've actually ssdt-3.aml, ssdt-4.aml and ssdt-5.aml), right? Thanks for your patience!

No renaming necessary with Clover. Clover will load all *.aml from ACPI/patched.

Thanks RehabMan! I installed NullEthernet.kext with Kext Wizard and I copied ssdt-rmne.aml in the suggested path, but if I try to connect to Mac App Store it still gives me the same error.. Did I forget something? I'm using a USB Wifi Key and however I noticed that now on Sys Pref Panel there are now 3 "web sources" as you can see in the following picture: the green one is the USB Wifi key that I'm using, the yellow one should be the Ethernet added after kext and ssdt add, and the red one should be the not connected Ethernet. Should I maybe cancel the last one which creates conflict with the new Ethernet?

mLCAk4g.png

Thanks RehabMan! I installed NullEthernet.kext with Kext Wizard and I copied ssdt-rmne.aml in the suggested path, but if I try to connect to Mac App Store it still gives me the same error.. Did I forget something?

It must be at 'en0'. Resetting network interfaces is covered in the README. Please read it.

Oh sorry sir, I didn't see the last lines on your GitHub account, my fault. I deleted, as suggested, the interfaces on Sys Pane, deleted the plist on the suggested path and rebooted the machine. It works now, App Store works, iCloud account on Mail works, I don't know if FaceTime could work only because my integrated webcam still doesn't work, but everything that requests iCloud account seems to work now, so many thanks! Just one thing: I don't see anymore Ethernet interface on Sys Pane. It's not so important to me because I don't use it, but I just wanna know if it must be fixed or if that's no problem. Thanks again! 

Just one thing: I don't see anymore Ethernet interface on Sys Pane. It's not so important to me because I don't use it, but I just wanna know if it must be fixed or if that's no problem.

You may have named it something other than "Ethernet". The actual name is something you choose as you add the interface.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Rehabman! First, thank you for your work, sir, I followed your instructions but I'm going to need a little help to make NullEthernet works.

I have Yosemite working with Clover thanks to mactabletman's guide in this forum in a Cintiq Companion 2 i5 128GB if that info helps. It doesn't have Ethernet and wireless card is not compatible (but replaceable). I'm using a RT3070 Ralink chipset adapter and it works for internet access but can't make any Apple services work, no iCloud, no Mac App Store, no FaceTime...

This is what I did:

I've installed the kext with Kext Wizard, repaired permissions and rebuild cache. I've patched DSDT.aml with MaciASL (click on Patch, select patch.txt, apply changes and save) and added ssdt-rmne.aml to ACPI/patched. Delete interfaces from SysPrefs->Network and apply, delete NetworkInterfaces.plist (and I don't know if preferences.plist needs to be deleted too, read somewhere it also helps but really don't know, tried both ways) and reboot. When I go back to SysPrefs->Network and add a new interface, NullEthernet doesn't appear as an option. It seems like kext doesn't get inject.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Hi, Rehabman! First, thank you for your work, sir, I followed your instructions but I'm going to need a little help to make NullEthernet works.

I have Yosemite working with Clover thanks to mactabletman's guide in this forum in a Cintiq Companion 2 i5 128GB if that info helps. It doesn't have Ethernet and wireless card is not compatible (but replaceable). I'm using a RT3070 Ralink chipset adapter and it works for internet access but can't make any Apple services work, no iCloud, no Mac App Store, no FaceTime...

This is what I did:

I've installed the kext with Kext Wizard, repaired permissions and rebuild cache. I've patched DSDT.aml with MaciASL (click on Patch, select patch.txt, apply changes and save) and added ssdt-rmne.aml to ACPI/patched. Delete interfaces from SysPrefs->Network and apply, delete NetworkInterfaces.plist (and I don't know if preferences.plist needs to be deleted too, read somewhere it also helps but really don't know, tried both ways) and reboot. When I go back to SysPrefs->Network and add a new interface, NullEthernet doesn't appear as an option. It seems like kext doesn't get inject.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Use only one ACPI solution, DSDT patch or SSDT. Not both.

• Like 1