Problem....

renegadeandy

37 posts in this topic

The timeout parameter will make the bootloader menu show up when you boot into OSX (which I have said several times now).

Making OSX the active partition makes it load first so the bootloader menu will be displayed and allow you to select what OS you want.

Then ,,,,open the osx install dvd, open terminal.: <== no, boot the OSX install DVD

diskutil list

get the partition <== no, get the disk

fdisk -e/dev/rdisk0 where rdisk0 is my mac osx partition <== no, the disk

p

f 1 - or whatrever my osx partition is <== "f" followed by a space followed by a "1" or whatever

The purpose of "diskutil list" is to be sure to get the correct disk number. Disk numbers start at 0.

The "p" command once you are in fdisk will help you choose which partition. Partition numbers start with 1.

BTW the command is:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

If you booted into the installer and selected Terminal from the Utilities menu (as stated by the guide), then the command is:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

If you booted into OSX and went to the Utilities folder and selected Terminal, the command is:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

and give your password when asked.

Did you type the command properly as I pointed out above?

fdisk(space)-e(space)/dev/rdisk0 <== don't forget the "r"

i did not boot into osx, i dont know how to do this

If you follow my instructions (given several times) for starting the install DVD and hit F8, then select the OSX partition in the bootloader menu, you boot into your OSX installation.

well... i dont it gives some errors and doesnt go anywhere...

I don't know what this means. What is "it"? What did you just do that gave errors? What are the errors?

If you can't set the partition active using Fdisk, you can still use Windows utilities or Linux utilities. Use Diskpart built into Windows. Use Disk Management built into Windows. Use utilities like Partition Manager or Partion Magic or Acronis in Windows. Get a Windows utility CD like Hiren's or Ultimate and use one of the utilities on it. Get a Linux boot disk like GParted or some other.

I was being sarcastic in reference to myself, but you have been helpful, but that kind of post is not needed by anyone - it does nobody any good, so please dont bother!

Thanks again for all your kind help but dont offer any if it is going to be grudged like that.

I don't begrudge helping. I live to help. I have accumulated over 2400 posts while helping people.

I have posted around 16 posts in trying to help you. This is probably the second longest posting session I have made.

But you have tried my patience and I am very patient. Most people would have given up after 3 or 4 posts. I have had to repeat the same information 2 and 3 and maybe 4 times for you.

And most of your answers are incomplete with information. I have to ask you to clarify what you are doing so I can stay on the same page. You say you have an error but don't tell me what the error is. You ask me what you are doing wrong, but don't even tell me what you are doing - so I can tell you if it is wrong.

Good luck with the rest of your installation problems.

Ok, i realise my mistakes - i will be more specific and read more next time.

I appreciate your help and patience - hope you can help me in the future.

It appears I am not suitable for the current ati driver - as i have a notebook, which are not supported so i need to use callisto.

Thanks

Andy