Asus 1201N Installation and support [Mav]

249 posts in this topic

Hey TimeWalker,

I am trying to run this 10.9 installation with your Clover Guide on my Asrock ION330 Nettop - on which 10.6 was great - (http://www.asrock.com/nettop/NVIDIA/ION%20330HT/index.us.asp).
But though I choose "Boot with Injected kexts and without caches" Clover says "loading Kernelcache..." then it shows a Device ID, than the screen goes black and it restarts.
The Hardware is very identical to the Asus 1210. What are my opportunities to try?

Thanks in advance!

Sam

Got it. btw, if I wanted to update this computer, should I invest like 100€ in an SSD or get a new computer? I like the Asus line

I had a spare M500 lying around, it's 120 gigs but it's enough for a portable laptop. I have a regular HDD as my main OSX drive on my DELL and I can tell that this little puppy running a sluggish Atom is comparable to it in terms of launching apps and overall responsiveness. What I can tell for sure it boots faster than my DELL, but like 3 times slower than my desktop machine, which has an older M4 drive for the primary disk.

But though I choose "Boot with Injected kexts and without caches" Clover says "loading Kernelcache..." then it shows a Device ID, than the screen goes black and it restarts.

The Hardware is very identical to the Asus 1210. What are my opportunities to try?

@Same, does it boot without caches if you just select that option ? I had same thing happen to me when I was testing the kernel patcher code and 10.6 and 10.7 were refusing to drop the cache. You can still load the cache, actually.. but you need to inject the kexts. This bulletpoint in the guide was more like a precaution.

edit: canceled and restarted. let's see if this works.

MCP79 is a slower-end controller, hence you need to wait longer.. compared to Intel's *modern* solutions past ICH6. It would have finished eventually .. 10 minutes is nothing.

I have a 120gb on my main desktop machine, not a problem. Probably gonna buy one too. btw, have you bought a battery? I like the 7200 mA on eBay, worth my 25$?

Uh, because I've waited like 30 minutes. I'm going to leave it overnight or something.

Yeah, my battery is finally in. I have bought a 7800 one which sticks out quite a bit, rising the netbook and allowing air to flow underneath. The battery is not genuine by any means, has 7200 capacity in the end and it even has a ruffled top casing that is usually found on 1201HA model, so now hinge side covers don't really match. It lasts me 5.5 hours, which I consider ok, especially keeping in mind that speed step is virtually absent on this atom.

Yeah, my battery is finally in. I have bought a 7800 one which sticks out quite a bit, rising the netbook and allowing air to flow underneath. The battery is not genuine by any means, has 7200 capacity in the end and it even has a ruffled top casing that is usually found on 1201HA model, so now hinge side covers don't really match. It lasts me 5.5 hours, which I consider ok, especially keeping in mind that speed step is virtually absent on this atom.

That's impressive: how do you managed that? I have an even bigger battery, but it doesn't seem to get past three hours. Of course, mine is OC'd to 2.0 GHZ. If yours is too, mind to share your exact overlock settings?

Hello!

Start the install once again and look in the install protocol after 10 % are done. If you find there something sounding like system definition not found in var/db..... followed by a long error list, then is something wrong with them, because of not correctly set. Then you can cancel the install. You have to create a correct definition with valid SN.

Have fun.

Either you have a corrupt download from MAX or DiskMakerX probably failed at some point .. Try recreating the USB drive from scratch with re-downloaded copy of the app.

If its the first stage of the installation then you might want to leave it for a while, its not supposed to copy anything other than OS X Install data to your disk.. and create Recovery partition IRRC.

Ok, thanks. Btw, the clover part should be done after making the USB with the DiskMaker, right? Because in the tutorial, it has that order, but doesn't make any sence, since diskmaker formats the usb.

You are supposed to have two USB drives, one FAT32, the other one HFS+, isn't that clear from the guide?

Do you manage to log out/log in to iMessage/FaceTime?

Yeah, why ? Been chatting over messages this morning.

You are supposed to have two USB drives, one FAT32, the other one HFS+, isn't that clear from the guide?

If I take 2 USB Sticks and start Clover it says "boot0ss: error" -.- What sall I do?

If I take 2 USB Sticks and start Clover it says "boot0ss: error" -.- What sall I do?

you format it as FAT32 and only then install clover onto it. if ss fails, try to select af boot sector in the installer instead.

Under Yosemite DP? :)

P.S.: Hmmm, seems that nvram.plist is not being saved anywhere both in my EFI and root folders. Where yours is being saved?

yes, under DP5. nvram plist has a hidden flag, you can only see it if you list files on the root of your partition in terminal ... or unhide with the app provided with the support package.

MacBook-Air:Macintosh HD ionbook$ ls -l | grep nvram
-rw-r--r--@  1 root  wheel     1847 Aug  5 23:24 nvram.plist

It's stuck on the About a second for about 30 minutes.

I'm using 2 usb now.

Then something is clearly wrong with your USB drives mate.. I hade 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 installed in this netbook using DiskMaker and they both installed well.. took some time, as stated in the guide, but installed without any hiccups.