Asus 1201N Installation and support [Mav]

249 posts in this topic

By definition of GIUD map EFI partition is supposed to be FAT32. Always!

You are not supposed to install with scripts, just prepare a flash drive of Mavericks with Disk Maker X and boot it with Clover, pressing space and selecting boot with injected kexts.

Your prefpane is grayed out because it's usable to find binaries.

You should be able to install the package only if you have a FAT32 ESP on that disk.

I have a 10.8.5 up and running with Chameleon.

1. I've updated the BIOS first as per the file mentioned.

2. Installed Clover 2771 to the letter as the screenshot suggests

3. Installed the support package, rebooted and changed AHCI to IDE

4. Power on and I get to clover welcome screen to choose a partition to boot up and select my system partition

5. Black screen

I can't boot into verbose nor selecting "boot without injected kexts and caches" does anything for me

I'm not new to Clover as I have another machine with Clover UEFI but as for now I can't figure out what to do next. 

EDIT

As I see now the installer package did not install correctly. EFI partition on my main drive still has a generic (no kext included, no DSDT or SSDT) clover files.

I used Pacifist on another machine to look into your Installer Package and found the clover files. I copied them to and USB with clover 2771 installed and now it boots with injected kexts and without caches but hangs at geforcesensors: still waiting for the accelerator to start and restarts.

The package mounted the EFI partition.

I ended up creating a USB Install stick with Mavericks. Installed Clover 2771 to the USB and copied files from your post in the other thread:             #1006            

I booted up and the installation started but it's dead slow. Honestly it took 2hrs and now it's stuck at "about one second remaining".

I don't think it's a good idea to leave this guide with: "figure out how to install OSX and then just do this..." I had a perfectly working 10.8.5 and following the guide got me nowhere :/ I am tremendously thankful for your work and contributions and providing me with an opportunity to have a fully working Mavericks on this little machine but I think "the general population" would greatly benefit from a more comprehensive guide.

Venice, I experienced the black screen first time: the package indeed had failed to install, so I had to install it again, making sure the files were actually written. Mind you, I had already have a working Yosemite installation, so I didn't need the installer to work: my goal was a flawless system, which I have now. For the installer to work back then, both for Yosemite and Mavericks, I had to adapt my SMBIOS and org.chameleon.Boot.plist info to Clover's config.plist. Going to test creating an installer with my current settings when I have spare time.  Another thing: I didn't updated my BIOS! I use that same famous modded one we've been using for AHCI support - which is, by the way, based on the 326 vanilla BIOS. I use IDE, though, as per the changeling instructions. Hope that be a little bit of help.

All the best!

P.S.: I wonder if there's a way to increase the fan speed in my BIOS, even at the cost of battery life, or adding somehow a better aftermarket cooler - never heard of it for portables - so I can reach higher clocks. 2.25GHz is proven possible, but it gets real hot and I fear for its stability.

@venice you can read up on Bootdisk Utility from the author of Kext Utility. It allows you to create a 2 partition flash drive, where first partition is FAT32 clover and second partition - Mavericks setup. I'm not going into details about this as I'm not a fan of writing guides that have been written countless times.

The black screen you are experiencing is related to graphics not being initialized. Because graphics injector for nvidia is disabled in config in favor of SSDT _DSM injection and your tables are not being put into proper places by the installer package the result is obvious. What bothers me is that why installer fails to copy files to designed destinations, especially if it mounts ESP properly.

Would you be able to copy everything from EFI/EFI/CLOVER to smoe place safe, then remove the CLOVER folder completely and run the installer to see if it puts everything in proper places on ESP? In case it doesn't you can always do it yourself from the backup you have created.

@venice you can read up on Bootdisk Utility from the author of Kext Utility. It allows you to create a 2 partition flash drive, where first partition is FAT32 clover and second partition - Mavericks setup. I'm not going into details about this as I'm not a fan of writing guides that have been written countless times.

The black screen you are experiencing is related to graphics not being initialized. Because graphics injector for nvidia is disabled in config in favor of SSDT _DSM injection and your tables are not being put into proper places by the installer package the result is obvious. What bothers me is that why installer fails to copy files to designed destinations, especially if it mounts ESP properly.

Would you be able to copy everything from EFI/EFI/CLOVER to smoe place safe, then remove the CLOVER folder completely and run the installer to see if it puts everything in proper places on ESP? In case it doesn't you can always do it yourself from the backup you have created.

I've done numerous installations of Mavericks using clover on supported machines without ever having any problems. I know how to create such a disk, edit config.plist etc. The problem lies in 1201N needing specific kexts, DSDT and, as I see now, even SSDT tables. Providing a tree of files needed to be put in the EFI folder on the ESP wouldn't hurt... Also a config.plist compatible with CloverConfigurator wouldn't hurt, because for now, importing your config.plist found in another thread results in a complete mess.

Such a guide could consist of a few steps:

1. Use DiskMakerX to create the USB flash drive

2. Install Clover 2771 to this disk using this options -> screenshot

3. Copy enclosed files to the ESP -> screenshot + downloadable package of the files

4. Edit config.plist using CloverConfigurator to enter your desired SMBIOS values

5. Boot up, select USB, use space to enter additional options - boot with injected kexts

6. Install Mavericks

7. Install Clover to your bootdisk per screenshot

8. Edit config plist to match SMBIOS with the USB

9. Run PackageInstaller

?

And as soon as I get my 1201N up and running again after a day of misery I can check if your packageinstaller does a good job - well it probably does because there are some folks that had a complete success. So it's probably my fault.

I've done numerous installations of Mavericks using clover on supported machines without ever having any problems. I know how to create such a disk, edit config.plist etc. The problem lies in 1201N needing specific kexts, DSDT and, as I see now, even SSDT tables. Providing a tree of files needed to be put in the EFI folder on the ESP wouldn't hurt... Also a config.plist compatible with CloverConfigurator wouldn't hurt, because for now, importing your config.plist found in another thread results in a complete mess.

Such a guide could consist of a few steps:

1. Use DiskMakerX to create the USB flash drive

2. Install Clover 2771 to this disk using this options -> screenshot

3. Copy enclosed files to the ESP -> screenshot + downloadable package of the files

4. Edit config.plist using CloverConfigurator to enter your desired SMBIOS values

5. Boot up, select USB, use space to enter additional options - boot with injected kexts

6. Install Mavericks

7. Install Clover to your bootdisk per screenshot

8. Edit config plist to match SMBIOS with the USB

9. Run PackageInstaller

?

And as soon as I get my 1201N up and running again after a day of misery I can check if your packageinstaller does a good job - well it probably does because there are some folks that had a complete success. So it's probably my fault.

You are overcomplicating the steps... and one would get lost half-way with these steps of yours. If you have no OSX machines you won't be able to use DiskMakerX, nor install the Clover package onto a USB flash drive, hence I mentioned BootDisk Utility as a way to do it from Windows.

I have never endorsed using CloverConfigurator. I prefer using official sources of information and official tools to configure my bootloader, opposed to God knows what. I have no idea why it's not parsing the plist nor have I the intention to ever bother checking the reason behind it.

Post #7 updated with *detailed* information on OSX installation. 

@TimeWalker75a: Great job! I'm writing this from my recently purchased 1201N with Mavericks, Clover and your package installed. Works like a charm (even with only 2GB of RAM), I do have a few observations though. I've tried two installs: Mavericks and Mountain Lion (in that order), and ended up using Mavericks restored from a TimeMachine backup (of my MacBookAir3,1) - I was actually able to boot the restored image (with a differently configured Clover boot image from a USB stick).

Anyway, here are my observations:

1. It seems that my system is not aware that there is a keyboard and trackpad connected, which is somewhat annoying as the Bluetooth Keyboard/Trackpad Setup Assistant kept popping up until I unchecked the two boxes in Bluetooth Advanced Settings. Of curse, that means that I have to connect an external keyboard and mouse whenever I boot into recovery image just to get everything started. (The built in keyboard and trackpad work perfectly, even when booted into recovery...)
  2. Waking from sleep takes the GPU to full speed (486 MHz) as you already mentioned. Only that on my 1201N that was a problem with Mountain Lion also. Reinstalling your package did not help.
  3. In Mavericks closing the lid will induce sleep in 10 seconds (at most). Pressing the power button or choosing Sleep from the Apple menu will however take anywhere between 20 and 45 seconds.

One other question: You mentioned you are waiting for a backlit keyboard to arrive. Can you point me to your source for a backlit keyboard? (I'm planning to replace the keyboard myself.)

1. You need to press space to remove keyboard prompt as noted before. Bluetooth prompt always pops even on my DELL. You have to go and disable it.

2.I've noted about GPU clock too, it's a bug with Nvidia drivers. Works flawlessly with 10.8.5 though.

3.The sleep delay is a feature introduced with Mavericks, no idea why. Closing the lid notifies Embedded controller directly and doesn't rely on OS to issue sleep.

The backlight keyboard will need to be soldered in and touchpad button will be programmatically modified to act as a toggle switch for it. Look for a keyboard at aliexpress.com, you need one from Asus UL20.

OK, thanks for the clarifications. As stated, the GPU clock issue was also present with Mountain Lion (10.8.5) in my case. 

What specifically will I need to solder if I choose to use the backlit keyboard? (I am well experienced with soldering, just not sure if I have the right equipment.)

OK, thanks for the clarifications. As stated, the GPU clock issue was also present with Mountain Lion (10.8.5) in my case. 

What specifically will I need to solder if I choose to use the backlit keyboard? (I am well experienced with soldering, just not sure if I have the right equipment.)

You can check out this thread for more info: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/465841-ul30-backlit-keyboard-mod.html

HThe 4 pin ribbon cable has two common terminal for each polarity. Negative terminal needs be crimped with a loop ring and attached to the screw at the left hinge cover, where LCD ground is attached. The +5v source is the resistor next to touchpad disable LED. You can use a 3.3 vreg if you fancy your keyboard dimmer. The ACPI TPDN method in DSDT would need to be removed to prevent the LED from toggling when disabling touchpad with Fn+F9. Q27 query would need to call TPTG method, which I've added for this very purpose, but haven't used it anywhere yet.

No you don't

Anyone has any idea about clock frequency generator registers? I mean, how would I check them? I can use default 1.6 GHz clocks and 2.0GHz clocks to find the values I know should be used. SetFSB doesn't work, because default/known clocker registers are not being utilized on 1201N(L). I'm curious about registers that hold FSB .. since default 1.6 GHz is 133x12 and OCed 2.0 GHz is 166x12.  The plan is: SHP-2000MHz, HP-1600MHz, PS-1200MHz.

I would like to finish off this sucker in terms of Super Hybrid Engine functionality. Right now I can set it like in Windows, but there's no use... neither there is in Windows. SHE application is useless with the present BIOS ACPI code. 

Super High Performance will increase 533 MHz clock to 543 MHz, resulting in just 30MHz OC. Selecting Power Saving doesn't even do anything .. and since it's a netbook I would really like it to actually clock it down, especially considering all the other Eee PCs do so... 

Funny, but FSNN is indeed not needed to adjust FSB using SHE ...

Looking at 1201N and 1201NL ACPI code I wonder if even dumb ASUS engineers knew what to do with it :D

1201NL (ION+Atom 270):

If (LEqual (Arg0, Zero)) // Super High Performance requested
                    {
                        FSNN (0x02) // let's
                        Sleep (0x32)
                        FSNN (One) // fuc*ing try
                        Sleep (0x32)
                        FSNN (Zero) // all of them mb??
                        Sleep (0x32)
                        FSGG (Zero)
                        Sleep (0x32)
                    }

1201N (ION+Atom 330):

If(LEqual(Arg0, Zero))
                    {
                        FSNN(Zero) // nah, lets see if one is enough?
                        Sleep(0x32)
			FSGG(Zero)
                        Sleep(0x32)
                    }

Meanwhile .. it works just like this:

If(LEqual(Arg0, Zero))
                    {
			FSGG(Zero)
                        Sleep(0x32)
                    }

Hello!

As ever at least 8 GB.

Have fun.

Thanks man. Now to find my 8GB usb ...

I've tried with 2 Mavericks and nothing, the diskmaker says it's damaged or something. Any alternative

Edit:

Got it. btw, if I wanted to update this computer, should I invest like 100€ in an SSD or get a new computer? I like the Asus line