[Guide] Installing Mavericks on a Dell XPS 410

mpalomba3

20 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I went through the tedious process of trying to install Mavericks on my XPS 410 and now I would like to make a guide for anyone looking to install Mavericks on their XPS 410.

Your going to need a few things to do this

Files:

MyHack by Conti

Extra folder from insanelymac user Kvonlinee

Bios Downgrade file

These files are available for download at link http://adf.ly/bQNBZ

Supplies:

Dell XPS 410 (of course)

8GB Flash Drive

Something to make the installer flash drive on (10.6.8 or higher, can be a real mac or a hackintosh)

Mac Appstore purchased Mavericks

So now for the guide

First you need to boot to your windows partition and downgrade your bios with the bios downgrade file I have included. 

Next you  need to create your installer flash driver using my hack. Select create installer, then 10.9 installer. It should autodetect your Mavericks installation file if it doesn't click browse for it manually and select the Mavericks install.app. Once you have made the installer flash drive go back into my hack and select install extra folder. Choose install generic. Once you have installed the generic extra folder go into your my hack Flash drive and navigate to extra/extensions. And any files found in the extra folder that I included that are not already in the extra folder do not overwrite any files that are currently in the extra folder. Then you need to delete several kexts from the system/Library/extensions folder of your my hack flash drive. Here are the the kexts you need to delete, there are a lot so it may take some time.  /System/Library/Extensions/AMD2400Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD2600Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD3800Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD4600Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD4800Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD5000Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD6000Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD7000Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMDFramebuffer.kext/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonVADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4000.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AMDSupport.kext/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsVADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsVADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.plugin /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTesla.kext/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50HalTesla.kext /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResmanTesla.kext

stem/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.plugin/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTesla.kext /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50HalTesla.kext /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResmanTesla.kext

em/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle

After you delete all of those kexts run my fix for the my hack installer and you are finished making your installer flash drive.

Now go to your computer, enter the bios setup, And set the SATA Operation to Raid Autodetect/ATA. 

Plug your my hack flash drive into you PC and boot from it.

In chameleon use the boot flags -v, -x, -f, GraphicsEnabler=No

Your installer should boot and your drives should be shown.

Format your hard drive by opening disk utility, clicking your drive, going to partition, choosing 1 partition formatted using mac osx extended (journaled) and a GUID partition table.

Once you have soon that, start the installation. 

After the installation you will NOT be able to boot into Mac OSX. You need to add more files to the hard drive. You will need to plug your hard drive into another PC to access the files on it. If you plug it into a windows PC, you will need software such as MacDrive to access it. You need to navigate to the extra/extensions folder of you HDD and add these files to the extra folder again. 

AppleACPIP2NUB.kext, AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, ApplePS2Contorller.kext, Disabler.kext, FakeSMC.kext, Intel82566MM.kext, Ispcidrv.kext, NullCPUPowerManagment.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext, and PlatformUUID.kext. 

If any are already there DO NOT overwrite them.

After you finish adding those kexts, put your HDD back into the XPS and boot up the installer again. Go to your drive in dish utility and repair permissions. Then shut down, boot from the usb stick but this time boot up you HDD instead of the installer. Use the boot flags -v -f and GraphicsEnabler=No. Your mavericks install should now boot. Now install the latest chameleon. You can edit you org.Chameleon.boot.plist so you do not  have to enter your boot flags every time you boot. You can also change the timeout and several other chameleon settings.

I recommend you buy a usb audio dongle (I am using one) because there is currently no working kext for the audio in this PC and voodoohda.kext causes a kernel panic. 

If you have any problems please post them here because if you have a problem someone else probably has the same problem. Also for an immediate response google in your friend. I figured out how to get this up and running with help from several member on this site and google.

Once your hack is up and running you can update your bios back to the latest version if you choose.

You will need to buy a video card compatible with mac osx (the Nvidia 7300LE is not) I recommend the Nvidia Galaxy Geforce GT430. It's a very good card and it is not very expensive. You can find it here: http://adf.ly/bQRsw

Other then that all stock installed dell hardware should work fine. I do recommend a processor upgrade to the Core 2 Quad Q6700 and a ram upgrade (up to 8GB) these upgrades are not necessary but it will make your hack faster, the stock installed processor does fine but if you are going to do a lot of heavy editing and game playing you will want to upgrade those two things.

This PC runs OSX very well and you will be very pleased with its performance. 

You can find the Q6700 processor here you can find it for A LOT less money on ebay http://adf.ly/bQS3N

Good Luck Post here if it worked for you!

post-1036050-0-61277300-1388461510_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dang it. I dusted off my XPS 410 and gave it away to a friend because I couldn't get anything above 10.7 working on it. Oh well, thanks for the guide. Sorry I couldn't test it out.

Why downgrade the BIOS? I don't have windows installed and am not sure how I will do that step. I have Lion running pretty well but would love to get Mavericks up and running, thanks!

Some people claimed they could not find any drives until they downgraded the bios. You can attempt without it but you might not see the drives.

This got me as far as the installer and into the installation for about 10 minutes... followed it verbatim, thanks!

However, the installer then it ended with an error about Essentials.pkg, any thoughts there?  I am going to try to reinstall and see if it picks up where it left off.

Got it to install - had to recreate the installer on another USB drive, however rebooting with all the extensions in the folder gets almost to the desktop then a reboot loop.  I have a GeForce 610 and I think it requires the Nvidia drivers but I removed all the other ATI and GeForce drivers, still no luck.

Dern it.  The installer works great.  Just can't boot the finished install.

Not sure what your problem is I installed using the stock installed Dell video card and then later installed my video card and drivers, if you still have the Dell one I advise you tried with that and install the correct drivers for your video card once you get to the desktop

Oddness.  I can get it booted up if:  

a) I only boot off the installer version of Chameleon, even if I update the version on the hard drive

B) boot in safe mode

Of course video is not accelerated and isn't very usable.  I'll try installing the official GeForce drivers and see if that works.  I think I need to enable some, but not all of them maybe...

• 2 months later...

Oddness.  I can get it booted up if:  

a) I only boot off the installer version of Chameleon, even if I update the version on the hard drive

B) boot in safe mode

Of course video is not accelerated and isn't very usable.  I'll try installing the official GeForce drivers and see if that works.  I think I need to enable some, but not all of them maybe...

I have the same graphics card gt 610, finally I have everything work. I have a update on my post

follow the link.  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288301-108-on-dell-xps-410-aka-dimension-9200-to-109/?p=1912241

when you boot the machine, at the chameleon enter -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No

the GT 610 work like that.  I have the full acceleration. 

• 4 weeks later...

i am unable to downgrade bios to 1.0.3 a error in windows 7

Right click the downgrade file and click "Run as administrator" If it doesn't work  just attempt the install out downgrading the bios, I just did it yesterday because I wanted to upgrade to 10.9.3 and it worked without a hitch and that's with the most recent bios so maybe the bios downgrade is unnecessary.

• 2 months later...

Great Guide!

I have the same system, except with an XFX ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4870.

Followed guide to the letter except instead of removing the drive and did not have to downgrade the BIOS, I created an additional Extras directory with the files needed for boot after install.   After install, I booted off the installer USB, copied the files over and fixed permissions.  Next boot went without a hitch...

Everything is working... except for graphics.

I've tried GraphicsEnabler=no, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, and without GraphicsEnabler.  All have the same outcome. System Info says I have a 3MB card, no kext loaded.

Tried a few .kexts out there, none worked.  I will try your suggestion Herve.  Thank you all.  And thanks for the helpful guide.  It's people like you that keep the community alive! :)

Different setup, different guide. :) 

XPS 410 

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz 

4GB 

XFX AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4870 (works OOB) 

Builtin Ethernet (works OOB) 

Sound (works with VoodooHDA 2.8.6: http://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/) 

2, 23" LCDs working OOB as dual monitors detected in Mavericks 

Everything assumes you're installing Mavericks 10.9.4 from App Store download.  May or may not work with other versions. 

Download Extra.zip from first post. 

No need to downgrade your BIOS.  Make sure your BIOS settings (these may get erased on reboot, so be prepared to go in there a few times) are like this, my BIOS version is 2.0.5: 

Boot Sequence 

-> First should be Onboard SATA Hard Drive 

-> Second should be USB Device 

-> Third should be Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive 

If you have a drive with letters instead of the above, we will fix it below.  Just make sure the order is as above or you have to go into BIOS setup again on next boot and change it. 

Under Drives 

Diskette Drive set to off 

SATA-0 on 

SATA-1 on 

Rest off 

SATA Operation has to be set to RAID Autodetect/ATA 

On a Mac, format a USB (at least 8GB) to one partition and click Options to change boot type to GUID.  Make the Mavericks USB installer using myHack 3.3.1.  After you make the installer run myHack again and run "Install Extra".  Choose the unzipped directory "Extra" created from the zip from the first post.  Your bootable Installer is done.  No need to delete any files. 

On your XPS 410, insert the USB.  When booting hit F12 to select your USB.  For the options type in -v -f.  Install Mavericks as usual.  I installed it by wiping my drive to one partition (MacOS Journaled) and setting boot type to GUID.  When the myHack installer asks if you want to use the Generic Extra, don't select the Generic One and select (I forget off the top of my head)  Custom Extra.  Navigate to your USB drive's Extra.  Important that you go to the right directory. 

When you reboot, you will be greeted with the bootloader.  You will always need the flags -v -f to boot. 

On boot download VoodooHDA 2.8.6.  Install it as well as copying over the missing files as described in post 1 to Extra in your root / directory on your main drive: 

"AppleACPIP2NUB.kext, AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, ApplePS2Contorller.kext, Disabler.kextFakeSMC.kext, Intel82566MM.kext, Ispcidrv.kextNullCPUPowerManagment.kextOpenHaltRestart.kext, Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext, andPlatformUUID.kext 

If any are already there DO NOT overwrite them."  

Run myFix by running myHack from Applications. 

Reboot.  You may need to go into BIOS settings to fix the boot sequence and disable internal Diskette Drive.  Again, use boot flags -v -f. 

Everything works for me.  Graphics detected as: 

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 4800 1024 MB (correct) 

For VoodooHDA make sure you select the output device in your Sound settings. 

Thanks for the original guide and Extra.zip!  Everything works great!

• Like 1

Different setup, different guide. :)

XPS 410

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz

4GB

XFX AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4870 (works OOB)

Builtin Ethernet (works OOB)

Sound (works with VoodooHDA 2.8.6: http://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/)

2, 23" LCDs working OOB as dual monitors detected in Mavericks

Everything assumes you're installing Mavericks 10.9.4 from App Store download. May or may not work with other versions.

Download Extra.zip from first post.

No need to downgrade your BIOS. Make sure your BIOS settings (these may get erased on reboot, so be prepared to go in there a few times) are like this, my BIOS version is 2.0.5:

Boot Sequence

-> First should be Onboard SATA Hard Drive

-> Second should be USB Device

-> Third should be Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive

If you have a drive with letters instead of the above, we will fix it below. Just make sure the order is as above or you have to go into BIOS setup again on next boot and change it.

Under Drives

Diskette Drive set to off

SATA-0 on

SATA-1 on

Rest off

SATA Operation has to be set to RAID Autodetect/ATA

On a Mac, format a USB (at least 8GB) to one partition and click Options to change boot type to GUID. Make the Mavericks USB installer using myHack 3.3.1. After you make the installer run myHack again and run "Install Extra". Choose the unzipped directory "Extra" created from the zip from the first post. Your bootable Installer is done. No need to delete any files.

On your XPS 410, insert the USB. When booting hit F12 to select your USB. For the options type in -v -f. Install Mavericks as usual. I installed it by wiping my drive to one partition (MacOS Journaled) and setting boot type to GUID. When the myHack installer asks if you want to use the Generic Extra, don't select the Generic One and select (I forget off the top of my head) Custom Extra. Navigate to your USB drive's Extra. Important that you go to the right directory.

When you reboot, you will be greeted with the bootloader. You will always need the flags -v -f to boot.

On boot download VoodooHDA 2.8.6. Install it as well as copying over the missing files as described in post 1 to Extra in your root / directory on your main drive:

"AppleACPIP2NUB.kext, AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, ApplePS2Contorller.kext, Disabler.kext, FakeSMC.kext, Intel82566MM.kext, Ispcidrv.kext, NullCPUPowerManagment.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext, andPlatformUUID.kext.

If any are already there DO NOT overwrite them."

Run myFix by running myHack from Applications.

Reboot. You may need to go into BIOS settings to fix the boot sequence and disable internal Diskette Drive. Again, use boot flags -v -f.

Everything works for me. Graphics detected as:

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4800 1024 MB (correct)

For VoodooHDA make sure you select the output device in your Sound settings.

Thanks for the original guide and Extra.zip! Everything works great!

Glad you got it up and running even with sound. Does the microphone and sound jack work with the voodooHDA.kext? Also do the front ports for sound and microphone work?

• 4 years later...

Could someone re-upload the files please as the current link does not work anymore? Also, I have a dimension 9200 (bios 2.5.3 and an ATI radeon hd 5450) and was wondering if the bios downgrade would work for this mobo, I'm not sure if it is identical to the XPS 410? and does somebody have experience with booting OSX el capitan or sierra?

Thnx in advance!