60Hz 4K on Mavericks with GTX 760? [UPDATE: 10.9.3 works [UPDATED UPDATE: maybe]]

Ricky Romero

171 posts in this topic

I've just registered to the forum just to contact you-- I am sorry for the PM, I'd have preferred to reply within the thread but the forum for some odd reason, says I "cannot reply to this topic"!

Anyhow, I just want to clarify something. Have you tried running 4k @ 60Hz via Windows on late 2013 13'' rMBP with Iris? Was it successful? If not, do you think this can be possible in the future? (I've read conflicting Intel documents on Iris regarding 4k 60Hz capability, hence I've still got hope)

I did not try any version of Windows on the 13" rMBP (late 2013). It's not my own machine, just a machine at work which I was able to borrow for a couple of minutes for some quick testing, so I will not be able to do any Windows tests.

I don't know if Iris is capable of UHD/4K @60 Hz, but if it is, it probably does need drivers updated for MST support, much like AMD GPUs got in v10.9.2 and NVidia GPUs are about to get in v10.9.3.

I did try the NVIDIA web drivers when I was trying to get 60Hz working initially, but I'm 95% sure I wiped all traces of them from my system.

I'm using Chameleon v2.2svn r2377 right now.  Maybe you'll find my plist configs useful.

Thank you Ricky, I moved your configs in place, set a serial number and will try in a bit (might have to remove P- and C-states too for my board).

Ricky, you're my hero! :D Thank you so much for your help!

With your MacPro6,1 SMBios I got 10.9.3 beta 3 to successfully display the login window! Only on my secondary display though, as the primary Dell UP2414Q was black (I suspect OS X attempted to run it at 30.3 Hz or some other refresh rate that does not work). I logged in and played around a bit. The "Gather Windows" button of the "Displays" preference pane was very helpful for this. ;)

Long story short: 60Hz and HiDPI modes work! That's using a Gigabyte GTX 770 I installed for testing, I'll switch to my usual EVGA GTX 780 soon.

Booting a 10.9.3 beta 2 partition (an upgraded clone of my normal daily-use 10.9.2 partition) worked as well with the MacPro6,1 SMBios. On this partition the NVidia driver is installed, so naturally it complains about not being compatible with 10.9.3 beta and that the OS X default driver is active.

I'm currently using the 2560x1440 HiDPI mode so I can display as much as I can on my previous Samsung 27" display.

The only thing that's not quite perfect is that my secondary display (a 24" one with 1920x1200 res) doesn't display anything other than the mouse cursor when I set it to 90° rotation. It works normally at "Standard" rotation, so that's what I'm using for now.

Update:

1. to clarify, while I did initially use Ricky's Chameleon config as well, it turned out not to be necessary.

2. Rominator at Netkas suggested that rotated displays might be problematic. Given my secondary display is usually rotated 90° this might well have been a problem for me too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've also purchased Dell UP2414Q. I am running the latest 10.9.3 beta using Geforce 770 to drive the screen. I was wondering if anyone was able to get it running at native 2160p at 60Hz. I am only able to select different scaled resolutions (up to 1692p). When i try to change DP mode to 1.2 in OST settings my screen goes blank. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks

I have tried 10.9.3 (13D43a) on the Dell UP2414Q (DP1.2 enable) and GTX760 and I get a black screen. I also do not get the RefreshRate box, so I cannot change it in case it was on 30.3Hz. Am I doing anything wrong?

On 10.9.2 it works great at 30Hz (of course).

Cheers!

I have tried 10.9.3 (13D43a) on the Dell UP2414Q (DP1.2 enable) and GTX760 and I get a black screen. I also do not get the RefreshRate box, so I cannot change it in case it was on 30.3Hz. Am I doing anything wrong?

On 10.9.2 it works great at 30Hz (of course).

Cheers!

Exactly the same situation as I currently have.

It might run at 30.3 Hz, so you either need a 2nd display or need to connect remotely to set it to 30.0 Hz. If system preferences won't let you maybe Display Menu will.

I replaced my Dell UP2414Q with an ASUS PQ321QE so don't have any personal experience of the Dell with the 3 last betas or so. I had plenty of 30.3 Hz issues with the Dell though…

It might run at 30.3 Hz, so you either need a 2nd display or need to connect remotely to set it to 30.0 Hz. If system preferences won't let you maybe Display Menu will.

I replaced my Dell UP2414Q with an ASUS PQ321QE so don't have any personal experience of the Dell with the 3 last betas or so. I had plenty of 30.3 Hz issues with the Dell though…

So have you ever been able to get Dell running using DP 1.2 @ 2160p 60Hz?

Thanks for the reply, do I get the serial from "About this Mac" window?

What do you need a serial for?

BTW I updated my previous post with a link, now that I'm on a computer again. ;)

The problem I face (I have a second 1080p screen working) is that the Dell UP2414Q does not show Refresh Rate anymore in 10.9.3 (13d45a), my guess is that is at 30.3Hz but I cannot change it (even with other sw).

I am back at 10.9.2 and it is working at 30Hz.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like one of the few working at 60Hz for a Hack is the Samsung UD whatever... It doesn't use MST.  Looks like my Dell U2414 is going on eBay!  I tried everything to get it to work at 60Hz under the Web Drivers... NADA.  Oh well.  Maybe NewEgg will still take it back.   This is with Rampage Dev's 10.9.3 patched Web Drivers on a Titan Black btw.  Maybe Nvidia will throw us a bone... 

I'm happy. In the 10.9.3 betas often only one of my two displays would work, in the final both my main display (ASUS PQ321Q, with MST enabled) as well as the secondary display (Dell 24" 1200x1920 in portrait mode) work fine. That's with a GTX 780.

I might try the Dell UP2414Q again later. It's officially supported after all.

I tried the UP2414Q this morning before going to work. It was recognized by the OS and visible in the display preferences pane as well as the menu of DisplayMenu (both of which I could check on my secondary display). However, the main display itself stayed black.

I suspect it was being run at 30.3 Hz, as this was its default in most of the betas. I also assume that its content would probably have shown up just fine when connecting with Remote Desktop or Screen Sharing, but I did not have time to try that.

Also I think the NVidia driver was active, but I'm not 100% certain, and haven't  tried the other driver to see if it makes a difference.

I'm also having problems once more with 10.9.3 final and the UP2414Q.  My U2711 works fine over DVI, but I can't get a signal to appear on the UP2414Q.

My experience mirror's boli's: I can see that the display is connected in the Displays Preferences, and I can pick other resolutions (at my peril), but I can't adjust the refresh rate, nor can I see what refresh rate it's trying to send to the display.  It's acting like a built-in display from a MacBook Pro or iMac in that respect; they don't expose refresh rate options either.

I just had an idea as I was typing this post, which I'm going to try this weekend.  I need to see if DisplayPort itself is the problem, by connecting my U2711 via DP.  I'm also going to see if there are hacks to expose refresh rate options on built-in displays on a legit Mac, to see if that same kind of hack works on this machine.