slave-zeo

Dell XPS 8700 haswell system - 10.9 Mavericks

77 posts in this topic

great, so the one I'm getting comes with an SSD+HD, i guess by default they'll install win 8 on the SSD, is it preferable to install hackintosh into the other partition?

Advertisement

Actually, I believe they ship them with Win8 on the standard HDD (!?!) and have the SSD configured as cache (I seem to remember there being an option for this in the bios). I think someone said something about it earlier in this thread. Pretty silly of Dell :)

I'd install and use OS X on the SSD (depending on the size of it) and leave the HDD untouched If I were to have Win8 on my system. Most of the MSATA and newer SSDs have what's called 4k blocks. There is an extra step you gotta do to install clover (or chameleon for that matter) to the SSD so the system can boot. I'll include the steps in my guide I'm working on. Of course you might get lucky and your SSD not use 4k blocks.

so my xps8700 finally arrived, I followed the steps mentioned earlier this thread with clover but didnt have much luck (was sure that the BIOS settings were right). I was stuck at the kernel panic reboot loop and couldn't even get into the install screen, tried different bootflag combinations and settings (-x dart=0 etc...and KernelPM) and still have no luck. Does anyone have any idea?

I even tried the myHack method with the provided patched Kernel, no success at all...

so my xps8700 finally arrived, I followed the steps mentioned earlier this thread with clover but didnt have much luck (was sure that the BIOS settings were right). I was stuck at the kernel panic reboot loop and couldn't even get into the install screen, tried different bootflag combinations and settings (-x dart=0 etc...and KernelPM) and still have no luck. Does anyone have any idea?

I even tried the myHack method with the provided patched Kernel, no success at all...

Did you use Clover as the boot loader? If you're using Chameleon you're gonna have the reboot over and over problem unless you use a patched kernel. I strongly recommend against a patched kernel at this point since Clover can patch it on boot time.

I'm an idiot, I re-read your posting.  If you are using clover go into the options >> Binary Patching Menu >> and make sure you have Kernel PM Patch enabled. This will stop the reboot problem. Hopefully.

Let me know and I'lll do what ever I can to help out.

Thanks a lot slave-zeo!!

I didnt use chameleon as bootloader. I just followed the steps mentioned elsewhere on a clover tutorial page

Cool. All I did was make my Installer USB thumb drive via the UB utility, The other utilities didn't work so well with 10.9.3 (current at the time I installed). After it was finished I deleted the Extra directory on the thumb drive. I then installed clover and accepted the default options to install it. 

It should boot now. I didn't really do anything else special.

Great, hope UB will work since I'm installing the 10.9.4 version, should probably try that, my last hope.

Could you tell me what are the extra directories?

The Extra directory (in the root of the thumb drive)  is where chameleon keeps it's configuration files. If you're using Clover you won't need it.

was so desperate that I'm thinking of trying one of those distros out there, also at the time i tried the installation last night (GMT +8 here) the whole forum was shut down, leaving no clue to me :S

Yeah, distros are not the way I'd recommend going. If you can get it figured out you'll learn a lot more form doing it yourself. The knowledge of knowing how to is worth the time invested. Besides, I don't think one of the distress will work because of your Haswell processor. You'll still need either a patched kernel OR clover to get it to boot. If you can find a distro that uses Clover you might be able to squeak by.

now I've tried UB with Clover with 10.9.4, this time a bit different, the computer loaded longer before rebooting, still no luck :(

I've upgraded to yosemite with clover but can't seem to get the sound working.  I've tried toleda's new v3 alc898 patches https://github.com/toleda/audio_RealtekALC ...still no go.  But other than the audio and the usb ports being finicky, it's pretty stable

See if you can install the Mavericks kext for the sound provided by slave-zeo using DPCIManager. After that run toleda's cloverALC script to inject the layout files and then reboot and see what happens.

Hi there. I have put my Dell 8700 Hackintosh project on hold for a while, but was wondering if there are compiled instructions I can follow for getting Mavericks in it?

Cheers

First of all, HUGE thanks to slave-zeo and PlutoDelic. Thanks for the great set of instructions. Successfully hackintoshe'd my new Dell XPS 8700 with OS X 10.9.5.  :thumbsup_anim:

Hi there. I have put my Dell 8700 Hackintosh project on hold for a while, but was wondering if there are compiled instructions I can follow for getting Mavericks in it?
Cheers

Yes. I can confirm the instructions on this thread work even with 10.9.5. The only other thing you need is a patched mach_kernel for 10.9.5. You can easily find it with a search. Everything works other than the wi-fi as mentioned. 

Talking about wireless, if anyone gets it working on their 8700, please do let us know how you did it!

@illuminrock can you show us how you got the yosemite installed? i tried w. the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and it installed but can't boot into the system without using -x (safe mode)

Thanks

Ok I figured out the audio,  I think I may have forgot to use this: kext-dev-mode=1 argument during the boot in clover.  Everything seems to be working now except for the USB 2.0 ports

@pimentel. i don't really care if it's tonymac tools. i just want to be able to get this running. My question was how did the poster managed to install it, perhaps some tips or steps on how he got it to work would be more helpful.

thanks

Hi,

how can i replace the mach_kernel in the installations disk/usb from yosemite? i have problems with install yosemite on my dell xps 8700 haswell. i need specific instructions please.

many thanks

Sinister forces are at work O.O

I've been trying to install Yosemite 10.10 on my 8700 for the past few weeks with no luck. Upon booting form the clover bootloader it hangs shortly after loading FakeSMC. I'm sure FakeSMC isn't the problem , but it's the only point of reference I have. It does this no matter what boot flags I've used (-v -x -s or just about anything else). 

My question is, has anyone did a fresh install of Yosemite 10.10 on their 8700? Not an upgrade but a fresh install from the installer. I've had it working but I believe it was via a upgrade NOT a fresh install.