Where are the Linux-based OSX installation helpers?

voodoor

14 posts in this topic

I've spent weeks trying different combinations of boot switches, kexts, SMBioses, SSDTs etc etc trying to get Mavericks to boot on my Haswell laptop but I've pretty much given up now. I've had much more success using distros on older hardware but doing vanilla installs can be a very tedious, time-consuming and drawn out procedure thats no good for the heath of yourself or your computer so I may just leave it now and try again when iATKOS or someone creates a Mavericks-based distro.

Chameleon wizard is a step in the right direction but I think its a shame its OSX only as Janek wrote it in ObjC. If he'd wrote it in Qt instead we could've run it under Linux, OSX and maybe Windows too.

As we all know, Linux supports much more hardware than OSX (and Darwin) and it runs nicely off USB or optical media so I'm wondering why no-one has created a tool to remove a lot of the guesswork out of getting OSX to install and/or boot that runs under Linux? Linux has lspci, lsusb, dmesg, dmidecode, hfs+ tools and all the info under /proc and /sys etc which in most cases should be able to provide enough info about the machine to translate this info into suitable boot flags for Chameleon, Clover or whatever.

So far I have tried MyHack and a vanilla install using Chameleon. I don't have access to the App store so I can't use Tony's tools and Kakewalk doesn't support 10.9 yet. I have got OSX Mav to install but all my hacking has failed to get the installed system to boot past bluetooth init so I never see the desktop. I've tried a vanilla install of 10.8.5 with Chameleon too but that didn't even get as far as the installer.

What is the most foolproof way to install Mavericks on a Haswell laptop?

hello

what i read from u post.. read about what u are trying to do.. i read not a word of useful info in what u write..

mac os x is for mac and developed exclusively for mac.. no easy installation .. if u want a easy installation.. u should install windows or a distro linux..

hack mac os x is 99% of reading, googling, persistency and 1% of luck u have compatible hardware..

good hack

• Like 2

You sound like you are against the Hackintosh installation process being made easier and that it should only be possible for those with a deep understanding of OSX's internals. That's called elitism. I've already done 100's of hours of searching, reading and experimenting on this - easily - thank you v. much!

Sounds like you'd ban Chameleon Wizard, MyHack, iATKOS etc and you'd have a raging fit if anyone ever released the sort of tool I'm after!

Do you like wasting your time and damaging your hardware experimenting trying to do OSX installs? I just want to install and run the OS with minimum fuss.

I like OSX but I don't like Apple or their hardware, which has seen a distinct down turn in both its build quality and fixability in recent years so I have even more reason not to want to buy a real Mac. If they officially supported installing OSX on non-Apple hardware, I'd happily pay for it but Apple are a hardware company primarily so I can't see that happening.

Besides, Mavericks is 'Free' according to Apple's marketing! ;)

Anyway, I have:

System 76 Gazelle Pro

H87 chipset

i7-4700MQ

Intel HD4600

8GB RAM + 250GB Samsung 840 SSD

PS I've owned both an iMac and the eMac - the eMac I still have but don't use anymore. I paid in full for the iMac - never again I said. Same goes for Sony!

You sound like you are against the Hackintosh installation process being made easier and that it should only be possible for those with a deep understanding of OSX's internals. That's called elitism. I've already done 100's of hours of searching, reading and experimenting on this - easily - thank you v. much!

Sounds like you'd ban Chameleon Wizard, MyHack, iATKOS etc and you'd have a raging fit if anyone ever released the sort of tool I'm after!

Do you like wasting your time and damaging your hardware experimenting trying to do OSX installs? I just want to install and run the OS with minimum fuss.

You really aren't gonna go far on this board if you insult one of its most respected members.

Start installing OS X by either vanilla or myhack and post to this board and people will help you through it.

Just want to install OS X with the minimum fuss? Go buy a Mac.

Why has no one created an OS X tool that runs under Linux? If your so concerned about it why don't you?

Hi rockinron!

I'm sorry but his post upset me as it wasn't helpful at all. If people can't answer a forum posting or they think its a waste of time, they should just ignore it instead of claiming I'd not done my research when you know I've been trying very hard, doing lots of reading on the subject and I'm on topic.

Maybe I would create such a tool myself if I had the knowledge to do so but when it comes to Hackintosh I openly admit I'm a noob. Thankfully, we have people like you who are willing to help us noobs and without people like you this scene would die pretty quick!

There are no easy ways or short cuts to everything. Like everyone else you want to run the latest osx on the piece of hardware you have. If you despise Apple hardware so much then go buy from Tony's November custo Mac list and build your own gig. It will be most fool proof way.(but don't say it's unfair to not able to install a Ferrari engine in a Merc., what's been designated to work in a machine is solely the maker's choice & right)

Apple hasn't released Mavericks as free for everyone. It's an Os upgrade for Apple machines running snow leopard 10.6.8 and above. You can't buy it elsewhere, doesn't mean you can have it for free.

Also you should attempt 10.8.5 first since you don't have access to app store. As that might be easily available. Any machine that runs this one well, will upgrade to 10.9 with minimum fuss.

I like OSX but I don't like Apple or their hardware, which has seen a distinct down turn in both its build quality and fixability in recent years so I have even more reason not to want to buy a real Mac. If they officially supported installing OSX on non-Apple hardware, I'd happily pay for it but Apple are a hardware company primarily so I can't see that happening.

Besides, Mavericks is 'Free' according to Apple's marketing! ;)

Anyway, I have:

System 76 Gazelle Pro

H87 chipset

i7-4700MQ

Intel HD4600

8GB RAM + 250GB Samsung 840 SSD

PS I've owned both an iMac and the eMac - the eMac I still have but don't use anymore. I paid in full for the iMac - never again I said. Same goes for Sony!

myHack is supported on this forum

I recommend however that you try to use Pandora's Box. Its in the Downloads section. It is easy to use to make a OS X install disks (with required laptop kexts)

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I don't have the cash or the desire to buy another rig solely for OSX. In fact I only want OSX to run 1 app - REAPER - as they're dragging their feet with their Linux port and I don't much like running music production software under wine even though REAPER is officially supported running under Linux/wine. Running a native build will always have the edge.

I did understand that Apple only released Mav as free upgrade so it was funny that some in the tech press hyped it as a rival to Linux all of a sudden, when really nothing had changed.

I'd heard of Pandora and that now seems like my last viable option to try getting a working install before I throw in the towel and return to the 'it just works' simplicity of good ol' Linux!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I don't have the cash or the desire to buy another rig solely for OSX. In fact I only want OSX to run 1 app - REAPER - as they're dragging their feet with their Linux port and I don't much like running music production software under wine even though REAPER is officially supported running under Linux/wine. Running a native build will always have the edge.

I did understand that Apple only released Mav as free upgrade so it was funny that some in the tech press hyped it as a rival to Linux all of a sudden, when really nothing had changed.

I'd heard of Pandora and that now seems like my last viable option to try getting a working install before I throw in the towel and return to the 'it just works' simplicity of good ol' Linux!

You can run reaper with Windows too.

hello 

u don't understand my words...

install mac os x in a pc is ilegal... period

if u install it in several mac no problem..

hack mac os x .. is not easy.. so if u want a easy install .. without no fuss.. i just say buy a mac.. 

and u just write .. this don't work .. and this don't work too.. what u read about the issue ? so many have people have 100 % hack working.. but i assure u is no easy.. like u want

good hack

• Like 1

Installing Mac OS X on a PC is not illegal.

Period.

There is no law making it illegal. However, by doing that you're breaking Apple's end user licence agreement and therefore not eligible for any support, service and other provisions from the EULA.

It would be illegal to SELL PCs with OS X preinstalled.

EULA is not a law.

Installing Mac OS X on a PC is not illegal.

Period.

There is no law making it illegal. However, by doing that you're breaking Apple's end user licence agreement and therefore not eligible for any support, service and other provisions from the EULA.

It would be illegal to SELL PCs with OS X preinstalled.

EULA is not a law.

EULAs are legally binding contracts

This topic got derailed so quickly :hysterical:

I've actually been working on a MyHack/Pandoras Box/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/Kakewalk open source alternative for Linux for a few months. Hoping to have it done in a couple of weeks, so if anyone's interested in testing it then get in contact with me :D

• Like 1