I need some help please!

Forsakenzoul

17 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone. I have been reading these forums for a while now and its pretty helpful here ^^ I have a question. Can i have 2 Separate drives rather than 2 partitions in one drive?? I Have 2x36.7GB Raptors on RAID 0 right now but if i can i want to use one per OS. IS it possible?? I don't want XP on FAT32. Also my storage drive is already as NTFS does that mean i wont be able to see it on OSX? I do appologize if this was asked already but i when through all pages in the how to section and used the search and couldnt find something related to this :lol:

Thanx to all in advance^^

Yes, you can have Windows on one hard drive and OSX on another hard drive.

OSX can usually see an NTFS drive, but sometimes it can't. When it can see it, it can read data from it, but cannot write data to it.

If you decide to do this, format the drive intended for OSX as FAT32. This will setup the MBR partition scheme with a tiny partition for the boot sectors and a big partition for whatever. When you install OSX, in Disk Utility, select the partition (not the hard drive) and format it to HFS+ (MacOS Extended Journaled).

Just to make sure i need FAT32 to be able to read/write with OS X right?

Nope.

Formatting the entire drive as FAT32 establishes the correct MBR partition scheme used by the BIOS in the PC you are installing to. The first step of installing OSX is to go to the Utilities menu in the installer, select Disk Utility and format the primary partition (not the whole hard drive) as MacOS Extended Journaled (HFS+). The hard drive will be listed first with the primary partition listed below it. Select the partition to be formatted as HFS+.

Later in the installation, you will be asked to click the Install button. But first, click on the Customize button so you can select packages for your computer. Click the little arrow in front of the patches category to reveal the individual packages. Select Intel or AMD packages, not both. Select SSE2 or SSE3, not both, depending upon the capability of your processor. Select the Combo Update to receive the latest version of OSX. Select other packages only if you know your computer needs them.

i mean for a storage drive apart from the HDD containing the OS X

OSX can read and write to FAT32. FAT32 is limited to file size of about 4 GB.

Adding the program MacDrive to Windows allows Windows to read/write the Mac-format HFS+ where you don't have the file size restriction.

However, Alcohol installs some components which prevent MacDrive from working. Removing Alcohol is not the key - finding those particular components in the system directories is the key.

wo i just read all 23 pages on the the How to install the X1000 ATI cards @_@ need time to take it all in.....

Ok, i just ordered a 250GB HDD for Mac OS X. i will have Mac OS X for a while as my only OS. Should i decide to install Windows XP again, is making a dual boot harder to do from OS X or from XP?? I mean does the BootCamp thing work on a Hackintosh? is that a good idea? Also i was read the Vidcard thread and they were talking about ripple effect on something...i dont know what they are talking about lol so i dont think i will know if i get to work or not lol

If you are planning to install only OSX on the drive, read this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=191112

Boot Camp doesn't work on a Hackintosh.

If you install OSX to the whole hard drive, you won't be able to redivide that to two partitions without reinstalling OSX. Consider setting up a partition for Windows during the initial setup.

The ripple effect has to do with Dashboard. When you add a widget to the Dashboard screen, it ripples like you have thrown a stone in the water.

All you need for the x1800 card is in the Boris link in my sig. Posting #1 is a manual method. Posting #3 uses an installer. They have slightly different methods and different people have different results with the two.

yeah i read that entire thread lol Ill give the Neo Installer a try. About the HDD for OS X is just going to be for that OS X i have the 2x36.7GB Raptors for Windows XP if i decide to install it again.

I mean can i have widows XP later installed on a RAID 0 and have a OS selector installed after to select from OS X and XP? Also i see you have the E version of my mobo. What do you use for your sound?? can i use my Audigy 2 on OS X? i mean i have been searching a bit on it but i have read that there are not drives for it in OS X. If the on board works its fine for me ^^

No RAID not even if i want windows on it??? I read the post you linked me to, Im not sure i get what he used to burn the image.

You can have a raid set up for Windows and then have a completely separate hard drive for OSX.

Use something like Nero or Alcohol to burn the image.

You can have a raid set up for Windows and then have a completely separate hard drive for OSX.

Yeah thats what i would do have the RAID just for XP and OS X stays on its own drive. I will say im really excited about this lol Havent use a Mac in years!! :) If i like it enough i will just leave OS X here till i get my new rig at the end of this year ^^

Oh yeah do Mac applications work normally?? because i have Manga Studio(bought it when i went to the mac store :police: ) and would like to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a related question. If the second drive has been formatted as one partition in FAT 32 in Windows, then that partition re-formatted as HFS+ for OS X, is there a trick for seeing a second OS X installation?

I have added a second drive to clone using Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper, but my initial attempts to make it bootable haven't been very successful. I can format, partition, partition as HFS+, but I can't get Acronis Boot selector to see that drive as a bootable partition. Any thoughts?

Thanks,