boot time

ryosaeba0001

17 posts in this topic

hi there everybody, i finally got to install maverick on my system, is a i7 950 with 12gb ram at 1066 kingstone motherboard asus p6t deluxe v2 and geforce 670 gtx oc edition.

all perfect i had to install only kext for audio and ethernet.

wanna know only this is my boot time normal? my maverick startup is between 30-40 secs i have it in a dedicated internal data hd(pretty old hd at 7200rpm), windows 8 in a ssd boot just in like 5 secs.

and also if one day i want without reinstalling the os transfer (cloning?) maverick on a ssd dedicated to it? how to?

thanks!

• Like 1

had you tried this: boot with -v and see if the kext cache is active, if there are a lot of lines saying loading the kext means it is not.

my unit, the one on my signature below, boot into desktop in less than 5s, it is on a Samsung SSD 840 EVO.

to clone, you need to boot with another OS X instance, a bootable install USB will do. then use Disk Utility to restore the source into target.

after that you need to reinstall the boot loader.

Just make sure (when you go the ssd route on both, you go the clover route for boot-loader and gparted route for partition layout and have true gpt (no hybrid) for disk and boot (chameleon and chimera are still legacy) then you can get boot times near your windows boot times via clover and uefi - I love it, all my systems boot in under 10 seconds each. Good Luck!

had you tried this: boot with -v and see if the kext cache is active, if there are a lot of lines saying loading the kext means it is not.

my unit, the one on my signature below, boot into desktop in less than 5s, it is on a Samsung SSD 840 EVO.

to clone, you need to boot with another OS X instance, a bootable install USB will do. then use Disk Utility to restore the source into target.

after that you need to reinstall the boot loader.

i'm somewhat a newb to this, how can i enable kextcache?

another thing is(i think is a problem) when i boot up if i dont do anything my system boot to win8, if i want to boot my maverick i have tu push F8 and then select my hd with mav in it.

P.S. i dont have a UEFI bios, is in ahci.

to enable kextcache, the one I know and use is via the digital_dreamer's script, get it from here , run and choose option 4) System boot cache updater.

as for booting, i think you only have the boot loader configured to start from the osx drive, the simplest way is to make that hdd as the first priority boot drive in bios. 

to enable kextcache, the one I know and use is via the digital_dreamer's script, get it from here , run and choose option 4) System boot cache updater.

as for booting, i think you only have the boot loader configured to start from the osx drive, the simplest way is to make that hdd as the first priority boot drive in bios. 

i tried the script, also to boot with kextcache ecc... = yes nothing i boot always in 32 sec

maybe cos is a old sata hdd?

if i buy a ssd u think it will get better?

i tried the script, also to boot with kextcache ecc... = yes nothing i boot always in 32 sec

maybe cos is a old sata hdd?

if i buy a ssd u think it will get better?

Hmmm, Vertex2 without KernelCache ±21sec., with KenelCache=Yes 1spin -> ±5 sec. ... haven't tried on Vertex3 yet ...

I think the biggest advantage will be reached by enabling the use of caches ...

Just my 2 cent ...

boot with -v and see where it stops / waits

done, the funny things is it doesn't hang up in any parts, just a lot of strings really too fast to read(expect a part in which says yukon something... and dsmos something).

anyway it has no hang ups, and in 32 secs boot in maverick......

this is my org.chameleon.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
</dict>
</plist>

anything ??

edit: i tried to add a string to plist kernelcache bla bla bla= yes, still boot 30 secs

P.S. graphic enabler is no i have to put yes? what is the change? i have a 670 gtx oc ed
Edited by ryosaeba0001

A 30 sec boot time on a 7200rmp HD is perfectly normal, I don't think you really have anything to worry about. A MacBook Pro with a HD certainly won't start any quicker.

The best way to increase your speed is just to get an SSD. That'll probably get you down into the 10-12 second range.

• 1 month later...

ok i will buy a ssd when i can afford one lets hope is that the problem, thanks!

P.S. but i remember installing lion on this same hdd and getting a boot time of max 10 secs, maybe I'm wrong....

have you tried it with a SSD? is it faster now? i have the same problem. mavericks boots for about 30-40 seconds, very slow! this time did windows not need on HDD. on my SSD Win8 ist ready after 5-6 seconds. so if mavericks on ssd will get the same times, i have to move it on my ssd.

just a lot of strings really too fast to read(expect a part in which says yukon something

your system is not using kernel cache. 

add this to your config

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

but before that rebuild cache using kext wizard. 

The best way to clone is boot up installer, restore your OS to another disk, install bootloader and you are done.