IIIdefconIII

Beginners guide to UEFI Triple/Dual boot OS X, Windows and Linux (Kali) on an single true-gpt ssd

155 posts in this topic

Trying to Dual Boot Mac OS X El Capitan and Ubuntu 16.04

Config:

HP-Pavillion-G6-2231tx

Intel Core i3-3110M

Intel HD4000

Realtek Ethernet

Clover Bootloader r3625

Partition-1: EFI

Partition-2: Mac OS

Partition-3: Ubuntu 16.04

Problem:

So my problem arose after I updated Ubuntu, in those update, there was a new kernel image too, so of course, Grub2 got reinstalled with new configs. After doing the update, Clover doesn't show up, and I get to it by Boot Device Options. Upon booting to Mac OS I reinstalled clover after deleting it from the EFI partition, Clover installed successfully, I then reboot the laptop, but guess what, it boots directly to Ubuntu. No matter how I do it, but now if there is Ubuntu folder with grub in EFI then the laptop boots directly into it whether the Clover is present or not.

Thank you, but please help. :)

Advertisement

Trying to Dual Boot Mac OS X El Capitan and Ubuntu 16.04

Config:

HP-Pavillion-G6-2231tx

Intel Core i3-3110M

Intel HD4000

Realtek Ethernet

Clover Bootloader r3625

Partition-1: EFI

Partition-2: Mac OS

Partition-3: Ubuntu 16.04

Problem:

So my problem arose after I updated Ubuntu, in those update, there was a new kernel image too, so of course, Grub2 got reinstalled with new configs. After doing the update, Clover doesn't show up, and I get to it by Boot Device Options. Upon booting to Mac OS I reinstalled clover after deleting it from the EFI partition, Clover installed successfully, I then reboot the laptop, but guess what, it boots directly to Ubuntu. No matter how I do it, but now if there is Ubuntu folder with grub in EFI then the laptop boots directly into it whether the Clover is present or not.

Thank you, but please help. :)

Oki, please boot from the Clover USB, then go to some option in that menu to add it to the bios, then in bios you can change it to clover, i had this before with windows. please check and confirm, thank you

my support stops here, i transferred to vmware cause i didnt want to do all the manuel patches each big update. ;) good luck!

On 11/16/2013 at 9:05 PM, IIIdefconIII said:

Fix Clover bootloader to dual boot OS X Mavericks / Windows 8.1 from ssd/hdd

First Part:

Really easy, go to youre BIOS and go to the Boot tab. Find UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS options or something simulair to what i have.

Then set Clover as primairy. Like we did in post #6.

That should be it. Confirm working, If you do not have a option to change it in bios then you should use the second part of this post.

Second part:

Optional, if the first part didn't work for you then proberly you uefi firmware is badly written by youre manufacter. Some times you need the next steps to succesfully boot into clover.

Like a year ago with my old clover we had to use these following steps. Prpbery cause of old Clover back then. So if its booting straiglty to Windows instead of Clover and the first part didnt fixed it, then read this.

1. Boot from the OS X Clover usb again. (If you cant boot from usb and it goes to windows automaticly, just reset youre pc, as soon as it shows bios loading, reset it again, and then select usb as boot device)
  2. Mount the main EFI with Clover configurator;
  3. Open the main EFI file drive on the desktop, browse to EFI/Clover and copy CLOVERX64.efi  to /EFI/Mircosoft/Boot.
  4. In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file bootmgrfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
  5. In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file CLOVERX64.EFI to bootmgfw.efi
  6. Reboot without the Clover USB

Clover entrie for Windows

post-688682-0-73111300-1409339086_thumb.png

Now you should have a working Dual boot OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1 from the interal Clover EFI partition.

On 11/16/2013 at 9:05 PM, IIIdefconIII said:

Fix Clover bootloader to dual boot OS X Mavericks / Windows 8.1 from ssd/hdd

First Part:

Really easy, go to youre BIOS and go to the Boot tab. Find UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS options or something simulair to what i have.

Then set Clover as primairy. Like we did in post #6.

That should be it. Confirm working, If you do not have a option to change it in bios then you should use the second part of this post.

Second part:

Optional, if the first part didn't work for you then proberly you uefi firmware is badly written by youre manufacter. Some times you need the next steps to succesfully boot into clover.

Like a year ago with my old clover we had to use these following steps. Prpbery cause of old Clover back then. So if its booting straiglty to Windows instead of Clover and the first part didnt fixed it, then read this.

1. Boot from the OS X Clover usb again. (If you cant boot from usb and it goes to windows automaticly, just reset youre pc, as soon as it shows bios loading, reset it again, and then select usb as boot device)
  2. Mount the main EFI with Clover configurator;
  3. Open the main EFI file drive on the desktop, browse to EFI/Clover and copy CLOVERX64.efi  to /EFI/Mircosoft/Boot.
  4. In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file bootmgrfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
  5. In EFI/Microsoft/Boot rename the file CLOVERX64.EFI to bootmgfw.efi
  6. Reboot without the Clover USB

Clover entrie for Windows

post-688682-0-73111300-1409339086_thumb.png

Now you should have a working Dual boot OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1 from the interal Clover EFI partition.

I wanted to thank you especially for this section of your tutorial. I have a different computer but I had used your tutorial for my dual boot win10 and Mojave hack. I had success and have been going strong for four months. I did a bios upgrade and it changed my EFI. I couldn't boot clover. I tried everything, flashed back old bios, gparted to reformat EFI partition to re-install clover. No Go. After hours of frustration, I was set to re-install win10 and Mojave from scratch. When I came back to your post to refresh my memory about installing a dual boot. I read this section about badly written firmware from the manufacturer. and your instruction in this section to copy cloverx64 to the Microsoft boot folder in clover and renaming it. YOU saved me hours of work redoing my hack! I got my clover boot BACK! no re-installations necessary! So Kudos and Thanks! Johnm

37 minutes ago, jmacie said:

I wanted to thank you especially for this section of your tutorial. I have a different computer but I had used your tutorial for my dual boot win10 and Mojave hack. I had success and have been going strong for four months. I did a bios upgrade and it changed my EFI. I couldn't boot clover. I tried everything, flashed back old bios, gparted to reformat EFI partition to re-install clover. No Go. After hours of frustration, I was set to re-install win10 and Mojave from scratch. When I came back to your post to refresh my memory about installing a dual boot. I read this section about badly written firmware from the manufacturer. and your instruction in this section to copy cloverx64 to the Microsoft boot folder in clover and renaming it. YOU saved me hours of work redoing my hack! I got my clover boot BACK! no re-installations necessary! So Kudos and Thanks! Johnm

Im glad you got it working, and that people still read this guide. Has been a while for me using a triple boot system.