Gigabyte H61M-DS2 - flash plugin and quicktime keep crashing

Henry2010

19 posts in this topic

hello. would anyone kindly check this out issue? thank you.

ever since I updated Mav from 10.8.4, both flash plugin and quicktime have stopped working.

flash crashes every time when opening youtube, vine, etc.

quicktime just don't play some mp4 files. it either crashes or spends a long time to convert the video. but quicktime 7 for snow leopard fom apple's site works on all videos. and I presume that because of quicktime, quicklook on videos is not working either. nevertheless, VLC works fine, though Movist / MplayerX also crash when they use quicktime to play videos.

i have patched the framebuffer, used GE=YES, cleaned caches, updated firefox and flash to the latest version. I have also sent Adobe crash reports, yet today's flash beta still crashes.

after searching InsanelyMac, I read that Apple by default uses the AV Foundation framework now. Could it be the reason? But I don't see many people reporting a problem similar to mine.

at present I plan to wait for 10.9.1 to see if that would solve this issue.

my system:

Pentium G840

Gigabyte H61M-DS2

Samsung DDR3 1600 4G

MSI R6670

Good day.

I have the same problems as you. At first I thought it was a problem with not having the correct framebuffer for my GPU selected but even after getting all the hardware functioning correctly MplayerX refuses to play a video, YouTube flash plugin crashes and Quicktime too.

My fix for being able to watch YouTube videos is to disable Flash GPU acceleration, but even with that option HD playback doesn't work well and YouTube is very unresponsive.

Would love to get a fix to this as it is the only quirk I find in my system.

ah thank you for the tip. I just disabled hardware accerlation too and youtube works for now. cannot change the quality to 1080p though; would still crash. but 480p is enough for a video preview. hope 1091 comes out soon.

Please leave a message if you find a proper solution. 

Thanks. 

hello. would anyone kindly check this out issue? thank you.

ever since I updated Mav from 10.8.4, both flash plugin and quicktime have stopped working.

flash crashes every time when opening youtube, vine, etc.

quicktime just don't play some mp4 files. it either crashes or spends a long time to convert the video. but quicktime 7 for snow leopard fom apple's site works on all videos. and I presume that because of quicktime, quicklook on videos is not working either. nevertheless, VLC works fine, though Movist / MplayerX also crash when they use quicktime to play videos.

i have patched the framebuffer, used GE=YES, cleaned caches, updated firefox and flash to the latest version. I have also sent Adobe crash reports, yet today's flash beta still crashes.

after searching InsanelyMac, I read that Apple by default uses the AV Foundation framework now. Could it be the reason? But I don't see many people reporting a problem similar to mine.

at present I plan to wait for 10.9.1 to see if that would solve this issue.

my system:

Pentium G840

Gigabyte H61M-DS2

Samsung DDR3 1600 4G

MSI R6670

Good day.

I have the same problem with my GA Z77X UP4 TH build. I can't get Flash working, everytime I go to youtube both Firefox and Safari crash. I can't even try to go on Flash settings it crashes at once and I have to reboot. I tried to uninstall and install again with the standalone. No way. So I'm forced to use the HD with 10.8.5.  Amazing I have no issues on my other build with GA Z68X UD3H B3. I don't know if the problem is related to smbios. I can't use MacPro definitions (as I have on the other one) on the first affected build since it works only with MacMini and Macbook definitions. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I changed YouTube to HTML5, so instead of Flash to serve you the videos, you get them trough HTML5.

I know this is a workaround and doesn't properly solve this issue but it's as good as it gets right now for watching YouTube videos.

• Like 1

I changed YouTube to HTML5, so instead of Flash to serve you the videos, you get them trough HTML5.

I know this is a workaround and doesn't properly solve this issue but it's as good as it gets right now for watching YouTube videos.

I tried HTML5 with Firefox but it didn't always work. So I uninstalled flash and downloaded Chrome (I never used it). Till there is not a fix I'll use Chrome since it works. Of course if I download a video and try to play it outside Chrome browser it doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, yesterday I updated to 10.9.1 my two builds with GA Z77X UP4 TH and GA Z68X UD3H B3. I had the flash issue with the first one, while everything was ok with the second. I hoped that this update could fix it. No way. It still freezes with you tube or any quick time based movie. So I had to uninstall flash again and use only Chrome on that HD with Mavericks. Same machine with another HD with 10.8.5 works perfectly. I don't know why and found no answers on the web for this problem.  I'm really upset cause I don't know the cause. 

p.s.

Safari or Firefox it doesn't matter. They both crash after a few seconds and I have to reboot.

Hi, yesterday I updated to 10.9.1 my two builds with GA Z77X UP4 TH and GA Z68X UD3H B3. I had the flash issue with the first one, while everything was ok with the second. I hoped that this update could fix it. No way. It still freezes with you tube or any quick time based movie. So I had to uninstall flash again and use only Chrome on that HD with Mavericks. Same machine with another HD with 10.8.5 works perfectly. I don't know why and found no answers on the web for this problem.  I'm really upset cause I don't know the cause. 

p.s.

Safari or Firefox it doesn't matter. They both crash after a few seconds and I have to reboot.

I was hoping to upgrade on the weekend... Guess the problem isn't solved yet. 

Guys,

why do you think Safari or Flash know something about your motherboard???

I do think the problem is software-wise.

But I guess it wouldn't harm to troubleshoot it this way. I've already this problem on more than one occasion with Z77 chipsets.

I guess no harm's done.

Guys,

why do you think Safari or Flash know something about your motherboard???

I don't think they do. I just can't understand why with one build I have no flash related problems with the other I do. I have 10.9.1 on both.  I usually use Firefox but only Chrome works on the affected system. I'm just looking for help since I'm not able to fix it.

EDIT: Updated to 10.9.2 (13C32) nothing changed

EDIT 2: I was using on 10.9.2 (as well as on 10.9.1) my old modified kext (AppleIntelFramebufferCapri - AppleIntelHD3000Graphics) with

"<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x01068086 0x06018086 0x01168086 0x01028086 0x01268086 0x01128086</string>" in Info.plist (added 0x01128086 cause I have mixed SandyBridge HD 3000/Z77 mb). Then I realized that size was different. So I re installed the original kexts from 10.9.2 just adding the s0x01128086 id) and flagged the no hardware acceleration in Flash preferences. As usual I used Kext Utility before rebooting.
Results: Flash doesn't crash with Firefox and Chrome on my 10.9.2 HD It still crashes with Safari.
              Though I did the same thing on my 10.9.1 HD Flash still crashes in this case.
I don't know if this can be useful for someone but since I'm trying to fix this issue I decided to post it. Ciao

• 2 weeks later...

Thats why im using Chrome :-) Doesn't Crash here :-)

10.9.1 (13B3116) / Iris 5100 / HM87 / i7-4558U

On Safari i get crashes too with Flash :-)

Is your Screen connected through Displayport, LVDS, VGA? I mean not physically... what stays in your Systemprofiler under Graphics?

I see, that this Happens only on Intel Cards... HD3000 / HD4000 / Iris 5100

PS: My screen is connected with Displayport, thats what Systemprofiler shows...

And in the reality its connected as LVDS i think :-)

Cheers :-)

• 2 months later...

So I'm running Dell L702x 3D, same problems, disabled Hardware Acceleration which works great..

I have a dedicated GPU (GT555m) which is most likely the culprit if acceleration is the issue, It's likely the cause of having a GPU that isn't supported directly by OS X.

It could also most likely be software, I updated Flash to 13.x Beta and Firefox works fine now but Safari is still effed (purple/green flashes) and Aurora (Firefox Alpha) doesn't work either which is strange... I'd give it a few versions.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by responsiveness issues, the hardware acceleration turned off works just fine, YouTube's new layout loads very smoothy... it's very possible you have graphical issues? Since all video drivers are native in 10.9.X, I'm sure it's causing a ton of problems, my hackint0sh worked much better in 10.7.4 and 10.8.2 with modified Nvidia kexts, since 10.9, I can't even play LoL anymore without constant stuttering...

• 3 weeks later...