AR5001x, AR5212, AR5213 Mavericks Problem!

0mar32

20 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Ever since I updated from 10.8.2 to 10.9, my WiFi card does not function in a native way as it did in 10.8.2, I got it to work by using this an edited IO80211Family.kext and replacing the "airportd" file located in usr/libexec/airportd which was retrieved from 10.8.3.

My card is a D-Link DWA-520 Wireless-G which uses either the AR5213 or the AR5212.

I connect to my WPA2 Personal network now through the Network Diagnostics' Assist Me which is a workaround that a fellow user(rrtn) has figured out but this is a pain in the butt! If there is anyone who can help me, I would really appreciate it!

EDIT 1: Can someone create an automator app or service or whatever to easily do the workaround i just wrote, using the Assist Me to connect. If there's someone who can do it. I would be so grateful :D

EDIT 2: After dabbling a bit, I've found out that only WPA or WPA2 personal or enterprise are the ones that won't connect through the normal way, Open and WEP networks connect normally without any problems so the fix now should start by figuring out why WPA/WPA2 networks won't connect, this fix will probably not be done by me as I'm not experienced enough so if anyone can help please do!

just tried it, didn't work, kept editing the info.plist to try and get it to work but to no avail!

anything else you can think of please let me know

Hmm

Try regular wifiinjector.kext?

Sorry I don't have that chipset so I am just guessing

it appears to be ALL old pci slot wifi cards, only pci-e cards are supported in OSX now.

broadcom pci adapter (43xx) solution, atheros pci adapter (AthrFusion21) solution or any other regular pci adapter solution will work for all in mavericks

i can explain why neither atheroswifiinjector or wifiinjector will not work. its cause we need the AirPortAtheros21.kext (AirPort_AthrFusion21) which has not come with osx since 10.6. until 10.8.4 this was fixed by simply importing the AirPortAtheros21 plugin to the IO80211Family.kext. in 10.8.4 it was add AirPortAtheros21 plugin + airportd from 10.8.3. in 10.8.5 it was add AirPortAtheros21 plugin + airportd from 10.8.3 + IOPCIFamily.kext from netkas. in 10.9 it does not boot up if i add the IOPCIFamily.kext from netkas ...maybe netkas will make a IOPCIFamily.kext for mavericks

it appears to be ALL old pci slot wifi cards, only pci-e cards are supported in OSX now.

broadcom pci adapter (43xx) solution, atheros pci adapter (AthrFusion21) solution or any other regular pci adapter solution will work for all in mavericks

i can explain why neither atheroswifiinjector or wifiinjector will not work. its cause we need the AirPortAtheros21.kext (AirPort_AthrFusion21) which has not come with osx since 10.6. until 10.8.4 this was fixed by simply importing the AirPortAtheros21 plugin to the IO80211Family.kext. in 10.8.4 it was add AirPortAtheros21 plugin + airportd from 10.8.3. in 10.8.5 it was add AirPortAtheros21 plugin + airportd from 10.8.3 + IOPCIFamily.kext from netkas. in 10.9 it does not boot up if i add the IOPCIFamily.kext from netkas ...maybe netkas will make a IOPCIFamily.kext for mavericks

So there's no way I can use the normal way of connection instead of the Diagnostics way, cuz that's the only thing bugging me right now!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about the workaround, but I got an atheros AR5414 working under Mavericks installing the IO80211Family.kext included in Lion 10.7.5 with Atheros21 plugin version 431.14.10. I added my device id to info.plist AND installed AtherosWiFiInjector.kext, repaired permissions and rebuild cache.

Maybe this could work for you.

I don't know about the workaround, but I got an atheros AR5414 working under Mavericks installing the IO80211Family.kext included in Lion 10.7.5 with Atheros21 plugin version 431.14.10. I added my device id to info.plist AND installed AtherosWiFiInjector.kext, repaired permissions and rebuild cache.

Maybe this could work for you.

Your WiFi card is PCI or PCI-e??

If it's PCI, could you upload those files you mentioned in a single archive here so that I can test them out

Yes, my card is PCI. It is a 3Com 3CRDAG675B.

Add yor device id to info.plist of Atheros21.kext that is inside IO80211Family and then install AtherosWiFiInjector.kext.

Repair permissions and rebuild cache and reboot.

Hope it works for you, I was almost giving up until I checked out Olarila's kext and compatibility database.  :) 

Atheros.zip

Yes, my card is PCI. It is a 3Com 3CRDAG675B.

Add your device id to info.plist of Atheros21.kext that is inside IO80211Family and then install AtherosWiFiInjector.kext.

Repair permissions and rebuild cache and reboot.

Hope it works for you, I was almost giving up until I checked out Olarila's kext and compatibility database. :)

Well, it worked but i'm unable to connect to my secured WPA2 network, I'm only able to connect if I leave it open with no security. Did you happen to face this problem ?

EDIT: To get it to work again with my secured AP, I had to use the airportd from 10.8.3 method and connect through the Assist Me tool, so I still can't figure out the problem!

No, I only had a bit of trouble with a "connection timeout" message at first, but I think that was because the signal is fairly weak. Once I got connected everything went smooth. And I'm using a WEP secured network, by the way.

Could I ask you for one last thing, if you can change your security to WPA2 Personal and tell me how you faired while connecting I would be very grateful :D

I'm sorry but I can't. I don't own the network, it's my cousin's, and he wouldn`t let me mess up with it (I asked already).

Maybe this could be helpful:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22446113#22446113

It's ok, thanks for trying, I tried the method in that link but still to no avail!

I've just tried changing my network to WEP, while it's a pain in the ass to get the password cause it's 26 digits but it's working with WEP, so now the consensus is that only WPA/WPA2 networks are the ones causing the problem!

It's ok, thanks for trying, I tried the method in that link but still to no avail!

I've just tried changing my network to WEP, while it's a pain in the ass to get the password cause it's 26 digits but it's working with WEP, so now the consensus is that only WPA/WPA2 networks are the ones causing the problem!

Yeah, it seems so. Let's see if we get input from more people.

• 3 weeks later...

you know the changes apple made was to make osx "more secure" thats why WPA/WPA2 and us with older cards have problems. unsecure and WEP are almost the same...why? "You already know that if you want to lock down your Wi-Fi network, you should opt for WPA encryption because WEP is easy to crack. But did you know how easy? Take a look." with backtrack your can crack WEP in less than 1 hour.

that said i have been too busy to keep up with this issue, so still no solution i guess :(