[GUIDE] Dell L421X (XPS 14 late 2012) OS X Mavericks 10.9 installation

FelipeZé

38 posts in this topic

DELL XPS 14 (L421x) Mavericks OS X 10.9 Installation Guide

dell-xps-14-laptop.jpg

Hardware Configuration:

CPU : Intel Core i7-3517U

Chipset : Intel HM77

RAM : 4GB DDR3-1333 (1X4) (Changed for a 8GB module)

Video : NVIDIA GeForce 630M

Monitor : 1600X900

HD : 500GB Sata + 32GB SSD

WiFi : Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 802.11 a/g/n + Bluetooth 4.0 (switched to Atheros AR9185, works with kext)

What works:

Ethernet

Webcam

Sleep

CPU power management

GPU power management

HDMI video and audio

Mini Displayport Video and audio

LAN card

HD4000 graphics

mSata SSD

Synaptic TrackPad (with up to 3 fingers)

Deep Sleep

etc…

Almost everything except for 2 items that does not work…

What not work:

Geforce 630M - Optimus (Most likely will never work), i disabled it in DSDT to get cooler temps and more battery time.

Intel Wifi Card (I Changed mine to one Atheros ar9285, they’re cheap on ebay)

——————

Note: Changing components in this notebook like memory, wifi card, ssd is easy because it does not have whitelist {censored}.

I moded mine with 8GB Ram and a new Wifi card, I’m looking forward to a larger ssd now… 

So, in this tuto I’ll guide you on installing Mavericks on this machine, and, sure, provide the necessary files.

Things that you’ll need to make it:

A machine already running OS X (it can be a virtual machine running under windows or linux, there are several youtube videos teaching on how to create one)

A pendriver with 8gb or more of space

A USB mouse, can even be those wireless mouses

A lot of reading and patience, I myself had almost 10 install of OS X to get one fully working, I tried hard with my old laptop but it didn’t work out, and with this XPS14 it took me like 4 installs… When we are learning the hackingtosh “art” it’s normal to mess up everything and have to start from the scratch.

——————

Ok, so, let’s start.

1. First thing you need to do is to put Sata to work in AHCI mode, this is done in the bios (to enter BIOS restart the PC and keep pressing ESC)

2. Using the OS X machine, download Mavericks on the App Store (it’s free), then, do not install it, you’ll have the “Install Mavericks” Application now under Applications.

Create a bootable mavericks install USB with myHack:

For that you’ll need first to use Disk Utility App under OS X and format your pen driver in HFS+, for this open disk utility select your pen driver in the left menu, go to erase in the right menu, select Mac Os Extended (Journaled) in the format combo box and click erase.

After that download myHack and open it, it’ll guide you through the creation of the 10.9 usb, when it asks for the source, browse it manually, go to Applications and select Install Mavericks App.

Download myHack 3.2 BETA 8

2.1 - In the end of the creation, select no for MBR patch and Yes for removing all the kexts.

3. Now we’ll need to do some modifications on our USB to get installation working on XPS14…

3.1 - First thing is to copy (From Pre_Boot folder) GenericUSBXHCI.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement under /System/Library/Extensions in the USB disk (replace all if asked)

3.2 - Run the following commands in the terminal:

sudo  chmod -R 755 /Volumes/myHack\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disk/System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/myHack\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disk/System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext

Attention!! Run this commands not only for GenericUSBXHCI.kext, repeat them changing the kext for all the others you moved to usb, (GenericUSBXHCI.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext)

3.3 - Copy DSDT.aml, SSDT-1.aml, SSDT.aml, smbios.plist, org.chameleon.Boot.plist from my zip Extra folder into /Extra (Of the USB)(replace when asked)

4. Reboot the computer with the USB plugged in and keep pressing F12, boot from the USB and select OS X install disk on chameleon menu (boot with -v flag for possible errors, if you get stuck in the black screen, take a picture and post here)

4.1 - Partition the Disks in the way you want with Disk Utility, select the driver you’ll install OS X in the left, click Partition tab in the right, Click Options, select GTP schema and in format put Mac OS Extended (Journaled), click Apply (I, myself, installed OS X in the SSD and moved /Applicaitons and /Home to the HDD, since SSD has very limited storage (only 32gb) that makes the computer fly when booting, I’ll not cover the process in this tutorial but if you are experienced, go with it).

4.2 - Go through the installation process and in the final select Generic Extra folder. and Yes for all other questions.

5. When done, reboot and boot again in the installation pen driver (this is important)

In this section, replace “Your Installation HDD” with the name of the HDD you installed OS X in. You can type /Volumes/ and then double tap TAB to see the volumes available and find it.

5.1 - Open terminal app under utilities and run this commands:

cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext /Volumes/Your Intallation HDD/System/Library/Extensions (BE SURE NOT TO PUT A / AFTER THE .kext CAUSE THIS WAY YOU’LL BE COPYING THE .KEXTS CONTENT AND NOT THE .KEXT ITSELF.)

Repeat the same command for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

Fix the permissions:

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Your Installation HDD/System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Your Installation HDD/System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext

Repeat the same commands for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement

After this, copy the /Extra files:

cp /Extra/* /Volumes/Your Installation HDD/Extra/

6.Remove the USB disk and you must be able to boot in your installation of OS X now. but you may need a usb mouse to click for now as we install the post installation kexts…

Now install the rest of the kexts (The ones in Post Boot folder) folder with kext beast (copy all files from this folder into Desktop) and run Kext Beast from desktop then run kext utility enter your password and let it fix the cache.

Install VoodooHDA-v2.8.4.Lion separately executing it’s installer.

Open terminal app and run this commands 

cd Desktop

sudo cp org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons

sudo cp VoodooPS2Daemon /usr/bin

sudo rm /Extra/Extensions/*

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/myHack.kext/Contents/PlugIns/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/myHack.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple*

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/myHack.kext/Contents/PlugIns/FakeSMC.kext

Again, Open Kext Utility in desktop. Wait until kext utility finishes.

You can now remove all files you put in the desktop.

Reboot and you should have everything working :D

XPS14 Files.zip

• Like 2

i installed it earlier but i don't get 800mhz i get 700 and something (cant remember, but definitely not 800mhz).

here is my ioreg if you need

799mhz i guess, that's good enough... Is your CPU a Intel Core i7 3517U ??

Download Battery Health in App Store and send me a print of the program running

ok here are a couple of screen shots of battery health, dcpimanager pstates and hwmonitor.

the fan still spins when sleeping and the light in front of the laptop doesn't go on and off when sleeping so i don't think it is sleeping even though it goes to the lock screen when opening the lid.

post-1216057-0-67203900-1382865766_thumb.png

post-1216057-0-27850800-1382865796_thumb.png

post-1216057-0-36163800-1382865822_thumb.png

post-1216057-0-97945200-1382865860_thumb.png

post-1216057-0-12424300-1382865898_thumb.png

post-1216057-0-37429200-1382865939_thumb.png

I think that everything is OK with your installation... keep in mind that after a install OS X demands more power to put everything in cache so it take some time to normalize power usage, you can also use less brightness in the screen as it is what consumes more power, look at my battery usage:

Screen_Shot_2013_10_28_at_11_23_28_AM.pn

it's lower than ur's but can be because of low brightness *ajust with fn + brightness up or down and i'm not using any heavy app....

No, I don't, have you tried simple installation? Kext Beast + Kext Utility??

If I'm not wrong, you can try to see what chipset your external wifi uses ARxxxx (e.g.:ar9285) and install the kext for it instead of this specific kext of the product...

this is the only kext that works with my usb wifi

can we set the voodoohda to auto detect my headphone have to change output manualy

And when i close the laptops lid for the first 3 minutes its still on but its logged out and screen is off,

then if i want to wake from sleep after the 3 min it takes another 3 min just to see the login screen

• 2 weeks later...

If you use clover, boot and install in UEFI, I don't know about secure boot so yes, it's better to turn it off (although you can test to use clover with it turned on or search about it). The cool thing about installing in UEFI is that after you'll be able to boot in UEFI using clover uefi or legacy installing another bootloader in another hdd or even legacy clover.

If you use clover, boot and install in UEFI, I don't know about secure boot so yes, it's better to turn it off (although you can test to use clover with it turned on or search about it). The cool thing about installing in UEFI is that after you'll be able to boot in UEFI using clover uefi or legacy installing another bootloader in another hdd or even legacy clover.

Thanks.

- Any Atheros ARxxxx will work?

- Is the performance good (8GB + SSD/HDD scheme + i7-3517U), I mean for programming, Photoshop, Illustrator, and so on?

My general use would be: programming + UI designing + music + web + downloads (same time) but nothing too advanced since I have the other notebook (SAGER NP9370) which I use for demanding tasks.

UPDATE:

I just checked myHack site and the current version is 3.3.1, can I use this new one or I need to use specifically the 3.2 BETA 8 you linked?

Error:

ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on keyboard input stream (expected).

ApplePS2Keyboard: Unexpected acknowledge from PS/2 controller.

still waiting for root device

[...]

Did everything the tutorial said until step 4.

@jcfla:

are you booting from USB? have you set AHCI mode for SATA operation?? seems a problem with the boot disk, maybe you are using a pendriver without the usb 3.0 kexts...

Booting from USB and SATA in AHCI.

Where can I get this "USB 3.0 kexts"?

It is in the middle of the guide, I talked abou it, it is the GenericUSBXHCI

But I add it, I following the guide.

Something that didn't occurred during USB creation was the "Yes for removing all the kexts". The tool didn't ask for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I succeeded with installing Mavericks on my XPS. 

The only thing that I cannot get to work is trackpad gestures. I can scroll normally, but using gestures (ex. page back in safari, change desktop, pinch, ....) is not working. 

Is there any fix?

Thanks

Hi,

I succeeded with installing Mavericks on my XPS. 

The only thing that I cannot get to work is trackpad gestures. I can scroll normally, but using gestures (ex. page back in safari, change desktop, pinch, ....) is not working. 

Is there any fix?

Thanks

Did you use myHack 3.2 BETA 8 or the new one?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

finally i did it

:thumbsup_anim: the dream come true :thumbsup_anim:
it run good so far
but
first:
the touchpad is not smooth and three finger not working :blush: !!!!!

is there kext for touchpad ???? :)

second:
the wifi card it does not work :blush:
which wifi card is working with mac ?????? :yes:
what is ite name????

big thx to WWW.insanelymac.COM AND to its people ;)