InsanelyMac Forum
Dr. Hurt

[Guide] [Mavericks & Yosemite] AMD Radeon HD5450

Advertisement

ok, have checked - unless I'm missing something obvious / doing something stupid, still not working (I have also tried changing the bridge to 'P0P1' as well).

Just to recap, using the patched DSDT, I have not touched any other ATI kext's, in fact the only kext I have touched is to replace AppleACPIPlatform with an earlier one as his board will not get past 'PCI Configurationj Begin' without it. Using Clover 3280. Not injecting ATI or setting a false ID in clover.

Finally, I have 'npci=0x2000' as well which I believe to be required for this board and am using MacPro5,1 as it is the latest 1366 based machine.

Just to update this - I gave up in the end. I honestly don't think the combination of that card and my motherboard is going to work, but mostly that card :) We know that 5450's in general can be made to work as evidenced by this thread but not all 5450's are identical. I was visiting a place today where I could pick up a cheap Nividia 610. I put that in and everything just worked with no injecting or anything.

Thank you very much for your help and time yesterday however, it was very much appreciated.

Well sorry, I forgot to answer… Been quite busy today :D.

You did the right thing, the 610 is a good choice and you're sure it will work fine even with the latest OSes.

I am trying to activate my sapphire ati 5450 1 GB graphic on El Captain! Do I need to follow the same procedures? Please help, everything was working right on Yosemite, but I am not able to change my resolution from 1024 x 768.

Well sorry, I forgot to answer… Been quite busy today :D.

You did the right thing, the 610 is a good choice and you're sure it will work fine even with the latest OSes.

No problem! Whilst the whole exercise feels like it's been somewhat frustrating, I now feel like I know Clover almost inside out and have managed to get the machine up and running with only 2 custom KEXT's (FakeSMC and my ethernet) so it has really been worthwhile. Oh, and I've also discovered that my motherboard is failing. The integrated network has gone wrong. If I enable it then it stops USB from working properly. Devices like USB sticks are detected and appear in the boot menu but cannot be used. De-activate the onboard ethernet and it all works. Fortunately I bought an Intel NIC a long time ago :)

Had this system running with this card before, crashed it. Had to reinstall

Reinstalled now (that was a pain, had to whip out pandora beta 2!) and kexts are loaded for the 5450 (68E1) but the screen goes to sleep after the apple logo disappears.

System profiler shows correct info (1024 MB AMD Radeon 5450) .. I can remote desktop to the system fine but screen is dead.

Screen is on DVI if that matters. Card has DVI, HDMI and VGA and does show 3 connectors on boot.

Display preferences shows unknown display when connected through remote desktop.

Hi Dr. Hurt, spent a whole night trying to get my new R HD 5450 to work, but no luck. Tried both the methods. If you can take a look at my original DSDT and maybe patch it it would be great. Also, which bootflags am I supposed to use? In particular, should I specify GraphicsEnabler=no? And what about AtiConfig?

Situation is: with DSDT Method I get kernel panic, with Kexts I get stuck on Apple Logo, with the spinning freezed.

DSDT.aml.zip

Hi Dr. Hurt, spent a whole night trying to get my new R HD 5450 to work, but no luck. Tried both the methods. If you can take a look at my original DSDT and maybe patch it it would be great. Also, which bootflags am I supposed to use? In particular, should I specify GraphicsEnabler=no? And what about AtiConfig?

Situation is: with DSDT Method I get kernel panic, with Kexts I get stuck on Apple Logo, with the spinning freezed.

Post a clean DSDT, yours seems to be already patched with some edits from Tony_x86 <_<. Use Chameleon Wizard or DPCI Manager to extract it.

Also provide an IOReg using IOREgistry Explorer 2.1 File menu > Save as…

Any news? I tried to compile it on my own again but I get a bootable system only if I plug my nvidia in (that's why you probably don't see the 5450 in the IOReg)

Just wanted to provide an update. I could figure out the with the kexts method the system actually boots up. After the apple logo the screen flickers and then stays on the apple logo, but I can indeed use it via vnc or sending key commands. I can even shut it down properly with ctrl+alt+cmd+eject. But no visual activity. In -v I even see the logging of what's going on in the system but no GUI. DSDT gives me panic, and the extracted one gives me compiler errors. I also updated a clone to Yosemite, same behavior. On the edge of desperation here... Nvidia is a bad option for me because I have severe DPC latency issues on windows. Any help is really appreciated

Any news? I tried to compile it on my own again but I get a bootable system only if I plug my nvidia in (that's why you probably don't see the 5450 in the IOReg)

I'm sorry I was busy playing around with macOS Sierra :).

Could you provide some extra info on your setup like Bootloader used and Extra or CLOVER folder, hardware config, etc. ? Also, in which PCI slot your GFX card is plugged in ?

Also, remember that whatever the method you choose, you don't need to set GraphicsEnabler=Yes or Inject ATI.

I'm working on your DSDT and I can compile it without errors (see attachment) but I don't know where to put the correct patch to enable your HD 5450 so far. My skills on patching DSDT seems more limited than I thought :P. But now you have a remote access, you can provide a new IOReg with the 5450 plugged. I don't know if it would change anything but it's worth a try.

Anyway, patching the kexts should be enough for the moment. The issue with the GUI should be fixed using a correct Framebuffer. Try Eulemur for instance.

DSDT_fixed.aml.zip