How to back up existing OS X

jojon

5 posts in this topic

Hi I am new to this hackintosh thing. I installed jas 10.4.7 on one of my drives and it fully patched and working great. I would like to know if there is the way to back it up and than recover it if something goes wrong with my Mac OS X system. I tried to back it up to usb drive but i cant start from usb drive.

Thaks in advance

Jojon

Hi,

1. Boot with your installation DVD

2. Use the Disk Utility to create a .dmg copy of your hard drive

If you need to recover your data, you will be able to restore your hard drive with the .dmg file you created.

I hope it is clear, I am poor in English...

1. Boot with your installation DVD

2. Use the Disk Utility to create a .dmg copy of your hard drive

If you need to recover your data, you will be able to restore your hard drive with the .dmg file you created.

DESAGREE

Ive try to do this to backup/restore my osx system disk : i can easily backup my system disk within the install dvd diskutility but i never be able to restore my dmg file with the diskutility software from the install dvd (10.4.3 or 10.4.6) :

the fonctionality drag drop your image file (source) to target (osx system disk after erased it) is disabled on the diskutility from dvd.

Help me if you've got a solution, the only way i've found is to have 2 differents OSX system disks as to

use the "full" system diskutility restore fonctionality from one of the osx system to restore the second with the dmg...

I'll be very happy to do this with only one system disk and the install dvd : because i've use my second

hard disk to install win XP....

FYI, Look at this topic : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=26703