Graphics - No GPU Power Management

chevalier433

270 posts in this topic

So far it's running well - love my GPU scaling up and down again. Also the small lag I had when using Quickview completely disappeared now. And if it does break something theres no harm done. If you make a backup from OpenCL you can easily revert to original.

But like Gringo said. You can't use OpenCL at all now right? So it doesn't move it to the CPU but rather disables it entirely which is not a solution.

Depends on your usage really. I use my OSX partition for music production and media server. Really don't have a use for OpenCL. So in my case, that's a great compromise. 

But you're right, this is only a work around.

But like Gringo said. You can't use OpenCL at all now right? So it doesn't move it to the CPU but rather disables it entirely which is not a solution.

This is not how I understand the description of the patch. The author talks about three key function calls in the OpenCL framework: one to do basic initialisation, one to initialise CPU support, and a third call to initialise GPU support. Remember, OpenCL code can be run on either CPU or GPU. In some cases the CPU is faster, in other cases the GPU is. Either way, the patch simply stops the third call from happening. To me this implies that OS X will use the CPU for running all OpenCL code, because it doesn't think it has a GPU to run the code on.

I decided to give this a try on 10.9.2 (13C44, haven't updated to 13C48 on this install yet). I got a "no identity found" error when I first tried to codesign it. I removed the quotes from the certificate name and then it worked. After patching and signing I just rebooted.

Preview works fine, there's no corruption. I also took a closer look at Luxmark and saw that there's an option to run tests on just the CPU, so I did that:

yGIEZnz.jpg

Update:

I've updated to 13C48 now. Repatched the framework and everything is still running smooth. I can't see any lag or CPU hit from using the CPU for OpenCL at the system level (and with a i3 I'd notice if it was getting hit hard). I've launched the new apps like Maps and iBooks and everything seems fine. There's no OpenCL-related errors in the system log either.

Obviously if you use anything OpenCL-intensive like Photoshop then it might not be a good idea switching to CPU rendering. But for me it's well worth it. I was expecting laggier performance but it's silky smooth. And I'd rather put a bit extra load onto my i3, knowing it will step down, than on my overclocked 670 which won't.

@ Hackmodford: Are you still running 10.91 there?

I updated my 10.8.5 install to 10.9.1 and after patching I'm getting the same garbled display in Preview. Getting the update to 10.9.2 now so I'll patch that and see if it fixes things. Maybe it doesn't work right on 10.9.1 or maybe there's some cruft left from upgrading from 10.8.5. The other copy of 10.9.2 I tested this with earlier was a clean install.

Actually, I don't think the patch worked because the card is locked at 1GHz again. Will update again once I've gotten 10.9.2 installed and patched.

OK, running 13C48 now, patched and everything is working fine again. Something must have gone wrong with the patch on 10.9.1.

@Riley Freeman

Interesting... I too have upgraded from 10.8.5. Sure I've done a couple time machine restores. I've even done a fresh install then migrated from a time machine backup. 

Currently I'm back to my backup copy of openCL. I am going to try running a luxmark benchmark on the cpu instead of the gpu to see if I get any problems.

Update 1:

Wow! Apparently my CPU is no slouch when it comes to OpenCL  :)

post-1106388-0-09866100-1391475871_thumb.png

Update 2: I get a similar score with the patch. And luxmark only sees my cpu as being available. So I wonder if it's more related to Preview than OpenCL? Maybe the smbios makes a difference?

Update 2: I get a similar score with the patch. And luxmark only sees my cpu as being available. So I wonder if it's more related to Preview than OpenCL? Maybe the smbios makes a difference?

I was wondering same thing... But Preview app calls QuickPreview framework - so maybe problem is there... maybe QP framework from ML will work???

I updated to LuxMark 2.1 and got a score of 249. Bit better than my last one ;)

Although after some time I've noticed that my GPU is stuck at 1GHz again.

Turns out it was a game that was getting it stuck (Modern Combat Domination). It must have been calling OpenCL it's own way. Ran a few other games and no problems.

Good news for everyone here!

NVIDIA is working on Web Drivers for 10.9.x wich fix all issues including OpenCL crash!

This is the very beta version for 10.9.1 wich I don't suggest to install.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/dMfCTEwWd5bvEIglG4b8ya6U4erhZeeC/WebDriver-331.01.01b07.pkg

I hope they will release a stable version as soon 10.9.2 will be released!!!

Urray! :) :) :)

• Like 1

Hi guys!

I'm crawling in a matter of configuring Hackintosh but I had the same issue and accidentally resolved it but updating HWSensors :C

After almost everything configured properly I had to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] one more time and installed FakeSMC along with all the plugins and monitors and after booting I got 1.02 GHz whole the time. But I updated, as before HWSensors to 6.0.1082 http://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/ and after update and running Unigine Heaven my GPU clock gets down to 324 MHz.

I know that this sounds stupid but just try it :)

info.plist shows me 5.3.82 so it cames from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] :P that's weird but here are some screenshots with running Heaven and after (it's in my native language but I think you will know what's what :P):

vX724tN.pngh08pVPv.png

Without HWSensors 6.0.1082 I had 1.02 GHz just after boot.

To summarize

FakeSMC 6.0.1082: GPU clocks down

FakeSMC 5.3.82    : GPU stays up

or is it the other way around?

Also it is possible to have HWMonitor v6.0.1082 with FakeSMC v5.3.82

I've noticed that with the HWSensors installer you have to use customize and choose to install the latest version of FakeSMC and all the plugins if you want those updated. Otherwise it will only update HWMonitor.