mattsnowboard

TP-Link TL-WDN4800 - 5GHz issue/investigation

7 posts in this topic

I saw the TP-Link TL-WDN4800 was supported for OS X so I bought it but couldn't get 5GHz to work (it's my only 5GHz client right now and in an apartment, 5GHz is awesome...for the time being). I checked the console and noticed that the off-channel scans only do 1-13, 36-60. So it misses if your router defaults to one of the higher channels.

Any idea why that is? Does the AR93x driver not support those channels (on a real Mac)? Does the scan just have a bug?

It's also curious that the scan does 12/13, which aren't supposed to be used in North America.

It almost seems like the country configuration is just off: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Israel? Singapore? China?

Anyone know if there is some locale setting that the wlan driver is getting? I'm interested in diving into this issue a bit more because I'm a developer for some of the WiFi components in Windows :whistle:   and look at similar issues to this every day at work.

Advertisement

I saw the TP-Link TL-WDN4800 was supported for OS X so I bought it but couldn't get 5GHz to work (it's my only 5GHz client right now and in an apartment, 5GHz is awesome...for the time being). I checked the console and noticed that the off-channel scans only do 1-13, 36-60. So it misses if your router defaults to one of the higher channels.

Any idea why that is? Does the AR93x driver not support those channels (on a real Mac)? Does the scan just have a bug?

It's also curious that the scan does 12/13, which aren't supposed to be used in North America.

It almost seems like the country configuration is just off: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Israel? Singapore? China?

Anyone know if there is some locale setting that the wlan driver is getting? I'm interested in diving into this issue a bit more because I'm a developer for some of the WiFi components in Windows :whistle:   and look at similar issues to this every day at work.

Try channel 48, gives 5GHz but only 300mb

Try channel 48, gives 5GHz but only 300mb

Not helpful...

I know I can switch to a specific lower channel, but why should I have to?

And where are you coming up with this "only 300mb" stuff? Please don't misinform others who might read this thread.

As a more helpful update, I've stumbled upon this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/64158-tl-wdn4800-not-recognized-mt-lion.html

Supported Channels:    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64

That's consistent with my findings, though I don't really know:

A) How to check that output about the wireless interface in terminal

B) How to change those channels if it is even possible (since the NIC itself should actually support higher channels). Is there a different Atheros driver that supports those? Some bad configuration that causes the supported channels to get limited to some non-USA set?

Ah, this thread again...

I still wish I knew how to get the NIC to use all of USA 5GHz channels, and not just the subset it reports as supported. Since I have dual booting working now though, I guess I could double check that the hardware actually supports the higher channels in Windows just to confirm it's an odd Mac driver bug.

My best guess is the card shows up as something that Mac identifies as a Chinese or other country NIC and loads some driver with less channels supported than it should. If that's correct, there's likely a way to make the card appear as something else and work fine. Who knows...I'll probably just live with parking my router on a channel that works though.

Welcome to the "misinformed" club ;)

I wanna join the "misinformed" club too, but what should I do since my WDR7500 only support 149、153、157、161、165 under 5g mode? I hate this stupid router.....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By End3rPower50
      Hi, is Qualcomm Atheros AR956x compatible with MacOS Mojave 10.14.3?
    • By Bushi93
      Finally Manage to make on of the most powerful and compact Hackintosh available with > the i9-9940X 14 cores + the AsRock X299e motherboard and Vega RX 64 8GB.
      Used for Editing, Motion Design and VFX on Mojave 10.14.3
      Exports time >Four time faster compared to my last i7 6 cores hackintosh.

Need to add a lot of parameters to get the config.plst to work but once it's right it Works very smoothly!
      Turbo Boost up to 4.2 Ghz all core

Geekbench scores
      Multi core : 54000 (above the iMacPro 18 cores)
      Single core : 5200
      GPU : 186 800

Ethernet & Audio work without kext

GPU : The Gygabite VEGA RX 64 required a lowfanspeed.kext otherwise it will always have the fans running in full speed mode (and it can get really noisy).

Bluetooth & wifi (you can get a blue tooth dongle - the Azus works but you may experience some issue or lag sometime so the best solution is to replace the Bluetooth/Wifi card with the Bcm94360cs2 AC + its adaptor:
      https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07HFQKC2Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B073XHY68N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      With this card you won't need any kext to make it work : you will get native bluetooth and wifi support and even be able to control your bios and clover with your bluetooth magic mouse / keyboard !

USB3 PORTS : need to add some kext
      1 of the 2 USB 3.1 WORK in full speed > USB C  in 3.1 and for some mysterious reson the other USB type A in 3.1 work as USB 2 only
      The other 4 USB3 work fine and the 2 USB3 of my front IO (NCASE M1) work fine too 

XRP RAM OVERCLOCK : YES
      CPU Overcloking to 4.5GHz may work but did experience some freeze/crash and didn't notice any increase in render time when activated.

Here is a quick overview of my setup

• By valueimagery
      Hello,

I've updated via system preference fro 10.14.2 to 10.14.3 successfully. However, I've lost location services for Siri and Maps.

Anyone else?

I've tried a little trial and error troubleshooting but no luck...
      SysPref->Privacy->Location Services is enabled with all settings checked. I've tried to disable and enable, but not luck.

I tested booting from previous backup of 10.14.2 install/uefi (pre update) and Location Services worked.

Prior to OSX update I also updated to latest clover, WEG, Lilu, AirportBrcmFixup, AppleALC.

So I tested by downgrading all of the above one at a time to the previous state, and still no Location services on 10.14.3

I've used kext utility to repair any broken kexts.

I've also tried forcequiting from activity monitor:
      com.apple.geod

And I've Try Deleting:
      Library/Preferences/com.apple.GEO.plist
      Library/Containers/com.apple.geod

I've booted into a guest user and this did not allow location services either.

My build is using a native Broadcom BCM94352Z Dell DW1560 and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext + BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext

Any thoughts?
    • By ucif19
      Hi, First of all, sorry for my English.
      I want to buy a WiFi/bt card for my hackintosh. I want a card that have a native support for MacOS because I need to use Handoff and AirDrop. I saw the card in the link below: anyone could tell me if the card have the requirements I mentioned before?

wifi/bt card  Broadcom 94352Z DW1560: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.it%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272204993348

my build
      macos Mojave 10.14.3
      mobo: H170N-WiFi 
      cpu: i5-6500
      gpu: gtx 1060 6gb (not work on Mojave)
      Ram: 16Gb ddr4 2133 MHz
    • By grisno
      Hi people,

This is a preliminary installer to activate the Combo Mini PCIe Atheros QCWB335 in MacOS.

I want to thank the whole community for their efforts and content provided, because without these it would not be possible to create this installer.

I would appreciate comments and suggestions!!

AIRPORT : OK Atheros QCWB335 (AR9565) (168c:0036) Mini PCIe * BLUETOOTH : OK Atheros AR3012 (0cf3:3121) USB 2.0 ** AIRDROP : Not Tested HANDOFF : Not Tested CONTINUITY : Not Tested WOL : Not Tested IMESSAGE : OK FACETIME : OK ICLOUD : OK APPSTORE : OK   Known Issues:

- Partial support with a maximum speed of 10Mbits (10.11.0+) *
      - Don't support Bluetooth Power Off/On by Software (10.10.0+) **
      - Sometimes Lost Bluetooth After Sleep WakeUp (10.10.0+) **

Sources:

Insanelymac