HELP ME - Dual Boot problem.

vind

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm a beginner and am trying to build my very first dual boot hackintosh.

I installed Windows 7 Pro and OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4 on two different hard drives.

I wish to make my Windows drive as my main hdd and Windows as my main OS.

So I installed EasyBCD but no success in booting OSX thru it.

I installed Chameleon wizard on OSX, but that too is not booting independently.

In the process I even managed to corrupt my Windows MBR, finally I had to restore it thru Windows installer disc's repair option.

Kindly help me guy, to get out of this hitch.

Thanks in advance.

Are you saying that chameleon doesn't recognize your windows drive, or are you only trying to use EasyBCD as your boot manager? Chameleon should recognize the drive automatically and allow you to boot to it. You can set the default drive to the windows drive in Chameleon's org.chameleon.boot.plist. and of course you can use your BIOS as a boot menu as well, that's what I prefer to do.

• Like 1

Thanks jamiethemorris,

I appreciate your input.

Yes, I know chameleon should recognise the win hd.

But unfortunately, its not doing so, neither easybcd is recognising mac hd.

Both hds and OSs are running well independently (need to boot mac with usb installer),

But not working as dual boot pc. I don't know what mess I'm in...

I guess, I need to start from scratch again..

Hi guys,

thanks for your concern and kind responses.

Update - i reinstalled both OSs. Now good thing is - if i make mac hd as primary hd,

then mac is booting well and is allowing to boot into win as well.

But if i make win hd primary, then no dual boot. EasyBCD is not recognising mac osx.

And I strongly need to make my win hd as primary, as my all main working softwares are win based.

What am I missing exactly...???

Edit : Yes. My windows is an MBR install.

Forget EasyBCD.

You have two ways to go:

Set Mac HD as primary. At bootup when the Chameleon icon appears, tap a keyboard key (I use spacebar) and you will be presented with icons for Mac and Windows (WindowsReserve) where you can select which OS to boot.

Set Windows HD as primary. Will always boot into Windows unless you take action. If you wish to boot Mac in this scenario, tap the appropriate 'F' key at MB splash icon to choose a temporary boot drive. At the menu select the Mac HD, tap return and proceed to boot into Mac.

vind, you can set your Mac drive as the primary hard drive but still have it automatically boot into windows by default. Just use this boot option in your org.chameleon.boot.plist: Default Partition

hd(x,y) in your case it would most likely be hd(1,1).