I claim the record............

roses

17 posts in this topic

…....for the longest ever Hackintosh install:

2 hours and 5 minutes

(Timed from clicking on 'Install' right after 'Customise Install' thru to the computer rebooting itself. I didn't time the pre-install procedure from starting the PC from the DVD until the 'Choose Your Language' screen. That was about 5-10 mins, so I guess in total about 135 minutes.)

It was a Niresh ML 10.8.2 distro on a Dell Optiplex GX620 (see specs below in my signature, although the CPU is now a Pentium D 820 dual-core 2 x 2.80GHz).

Don't know why it was so slow. Initial indication from the Time Remaining progress bar (which Apple technician wrote the code and algorithm for that? It's about as much use as a chocolate teapot or an ashtray on a motorbike) said 19 minutes. It was like something out of Groundhog Day – every time I looked, the DVD and HDD lights were chuntering away happily but it was so S-L-O-W. DVD disc is fairly new, recently burned, rarely used and no scratches or fingermarks or other debris. The drive is also OK as I installed a 10.5 Leopard on the same system only the day before and that took 25 mins all in, from inserting DVD to reaching the desktop after reboot. I chose very few options in 'Customise Install', only the bare minimum of things I really needed. If anyone can tell me why this and certain other installs take a long time, I'd be very grateful so that I could avoid the same pitfalls in the future.

And was it worth the wait for my very first ML 10.8.2??

Well, yes and no. Just before the computer was about to reboot itself, I got the 'Install Failed' message. Not to be put off, as I had encountered a similar situation before, I thought there might be a chance that all the necessary files were on the hard drive.

Rebooting normally with and without verbose mode (-v) was unsuccessful. The only thing I could do was boot into safe mode (-x -v) and from there I could get to the keyboard recognition screen and was able to register before reaching the Desktop. Yeah!!! I noticed that Niresh had put in a lot of cache rebuilding routines and that took quite a while to complete.

Tried to reboot normally again, but to no avail, only safe mode still works and as I'm a noob I don't really have the knowledge or experience to have any idea of what to do now. Obviously there's some kind of kext conflict somewhere but I would appreciate some ideas and suggestions from you guys. No internet connection either, although I guess that's because of safe mode. Does safe mode turn ALL drivers off? Or is it like Windows where you can have 'Safe Mode with Networking'?

So mother (Dell) and first ML baby (10.8.2) are doing fine, but baby is still in intensive care until Daddy/the doctor gets a new brain and figures out what to do.

Sorry, I've heard of longer install times.

"Rebooting...was unsuccessful" covers a lot of ground without further explanation.  I assume that in verbose mode, the booting just hangs.  Because you can boot in safe mode and because I know that GMA950 graphics are problematic, I am going to guess that you are hanging with a graphics problem.  It is very likely that when you boot in normal mode (with or without verbose) that you are actually booted but you can't see it because the graphics won't display it.  Booting in safe mode, disables the graphics drivers and the graphics displays in the default VESA mode.

The best way to have someone help would be to boot in verbose mode and when it hangs, take a picture of the screen and post it here.  That should give a better indication that graphics could be the culprit.  Then you can focus on ways to get around the problem.

Edit: info on GMA950: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280675-partial-fix-intel-gma950-for-os-x-108/

Sorry, I've heard of longer install times.

Dammit! And I was so looking forward to receiving my prize (whatever that is......)!!

I was just about to add an edit/update to the previous post, but I'll write it here instead.

Just tried the SAME install from a USB stick. (I saved the previous one as a work-in-progress CCC sparse image intending to come back to it later.) My thinking was that maybe the DVD was damaged in some way, maybe a hairline scratch, but the files on the thumb drive were written direct from the originally downloaded ISO file.

This time: 54 minutes, from booting up all the way through to the self-reboot, ignoring the time taken for Choose Language, Accept SLA, erase disk & Customise Install, etc.

Why do some installs take so long? I have a fast processor, plenty of RAM (not that the latter is particularly important for installation), and direct via USB should be lightning fast. Other installs using this method have taken as little as 10-15 mins, and I note that the size on disk of ML 10.8.2 is only 6.0 GB.

Still got the install failed message, still was not able to boot up normally except in Safe Mode.

"Rebooting...was unsuccessful" covers a lot of ground without further explanation.  I assume that in verbose mode, the booting just hangs. 

Errr, no actually, although that usually is the case with some of my other 10.5 & 10.6 installs.

In this case, I just get an immediate KP screen. I will try and take a photo of the screen as you suggest and post it here.

I know that GMA950 graphics are problematic, I am going to guess that you are hanging with a graphics problem.  

And if I just find and add a kext for GMA950?

Hmmm, I'm not so sure if it is graphics but I will bow to your better judgement and experience.

Will go now and read that link you provided.................

If you aare having an immediate KP, then I suspect the kernel might be the problem.  I'm attaching a kernel that might get you over the hump.  But even if it does, you still have the graphics problem to deal with.

Nope, sorry, really appreciate your trying to help but that kernel didn't work either.

(I assume I just have to rename the previous one to mach_kernel.old and drag the new one into the root of the hard drive?)

Anyhow, with it I am still able to boot into Safe Mode.

Don't bend over backwards trying to find a solution for me today, cos I've now got other things to do. Will be back later tonite or tomorrow.

OK, I had a brain fart on the kernel thing.  Of course, if you can boot in safe mode, it isn't a kernel problem, it is a kext problem.  You can restore the kernel if you want to.

Niresh does some interesting things with his installer.  It is hard to figure out what he installs by default.  iAtkos on the other hand, if you don't choose any extras, you get a straight vanilla installation.

Can you remember what items you chose in Customize?  Something there might be causing the kernel panic.  Or it could be something Niresh installs by default.

If you have another 2 hours to waste, it might be interesting to reinstall and select as few Customize items as you possibly can, recording what you do select.

Of course, when all of this is done, you still have the video issue if you read the thread that I linked.

OK, I had a brain fart on the kernel thing.  Of course, if you can boot in safe mode, it isn't a kernel problem, it is a kext problem.  You can restore the kernel if you want to.

Niresh does some interesting things with his installer.  It is hard to figure out what he installs by default.  iAtkos on the other hand, if you don't choose any extras, you get a straight vanilla installation.

Can you remember what items you chose in Customize?  Something there might be causing the kernel panic.  Or it could be something Niresh installs by default.

If you have another 2 hours to waste, it might be interesting to reinstall and select as few Customize items as you possibly can, recording what you do select.

Of course, when all of this is done, you still have the video issue if you read the thread that I linked.

Quick reply before i have to go out.

No problem about the kernel. Because I'm new to all this, i just have to accept what people tell me.

Kext(s) conflict(s) makes more sense to me.

I did notice in Niresh's Boot.plist he had as kernel flags npci=0x2000 and darkwake=0.

Me not knowing what I'm doing I tried deleting one of those which broke completely the install (for me irretrievably).

So I will have to re-install tomorrow and will make careful note on what I choose in Customise. 

Oh, two other things I forgot to mention.

1) Niresh has various boot flags for AMD, HP and Atom but of course none of these (should be)/are necessary for my Intel.

However, the only way I could get the installer started on my Dell was by typing amd at the boot prompt (no punctuation or anything else, just that).

He also says to reboot you must use the same argument. But it comes back with 'amd not found'.

2) I did get 10.8.2 to start on its own (the first install, but only the once). I took the SSD over to my ASRock/AMD PC. It didn't boot up normally or in safe mode............but when I took it back to the Dell, I forgot to add the -x -v boot flags and it went straight to the normal mode dektop. But after that, only via Safe Mode. Work that one out if you can.

Removing "npci=0x2000" can cause a hang during boot if your computer requires that flag.

1) Niresh has various boot flags for AMD, HP and Atom but of course none of these (should be)/are necessary for my Intel.

However, the only way I could get the installer started on my Dell was by typing amd at the boot prompt (no punctuation or anything else, just that).

He also says to reboot you must use the same argument. But it comes back with 'amd not found'.

2) I did get 10.8.2 to start on its own (the first install, but only the once). I took the SSD over to my ASRock/AMD PC. It didn't boot up normally or in safe mode............but when I took it back to the Dell, I forgot to add the -x -v boot flags and it went straight to the normal mode dektop. But after that, only via Safe Mode. Work that one out if you can.

"amd" is a way to invoke another kernel during boot.  The kernel has to be named "amd".  From what I see of the Niresh iso, there is no kernel named "amd", only: atom, hp, intel and mach_kernel.  That is for installation.  After installation, it is a default vanilla kernel unless you choose the Atom or HP kernel during Customize.

Because of your processor, I felt you needed what would be called a "legacy" kernel.  The closest thing to a legacy kernel for 10.8.x is a kernel modified for AMD.  The kernel I provided to you is an AMD kernel.  I'm assuming you are booting using the vanilla kernel which seems strange to me for your processor.

I can't explain why trying to boot the SSD on another computer would suddenly allow it to boot to the Desktop on the 1st computer.  Once you get reinstalled, you might try booting: -v -f

Well, my expected meeting has been cancelled so I'm back on the (Hackintosh) case.

Removing "npci=0x2000" can cause a hang during boot if your computer requires that flag.

But surely if I put that flag back in at boot time (with -s as well) it should allow me to at least get back to safe mode? Well, it didn't work doing that.

".  From what I see of the Niresh iso, there is no kernel named "amd", only: atom, hp, intel and mach_kernel.  

Hmm maybe I'm thinking of his Lion 10.7.2 distro. i must admit I didn't examine the contents of the ISO closely before I wrote that.

seems strange to me for your processor.

Many things about Hackintoshing are more than strange to me..

I thought I understood computers (after 20 years of MS**t) until I started on this lark with OS X. I explained the difference between the two systems to a friend (who is a very good guitar player) like this: it's like trying to play your guitar left-handed to the same high standard. You know in theory where your fingers need to go and how to move them to produce a sound, but they just won't do it.

And the difference in installing a Hackintosh and XP or Vista is like playing that guitar left-handed when it has 5 necks and 38 strings.

you should only need that flag if boot is stoping at PCI configuration 

Good point, that's what I thought. (Although it's never worked for me when trying to do a Combo update.)

So why is it in the Boot.plist file as part of the distro maker's installation?`I'm sure it wan't put there by the Apple programmers...........or maybe so.

The difference is that OSX is not designed to be installed on a Dell Optiplex GX620.  It is both the fun and frustration of a hobby in attempting to do so.  You have to treat it as such and not as an entitlement.

Oh yes, that's more than understood. However, I'm getting a bit more of the second 'f' than the first one at the moment...............

Can you remember what items you chose in Customize?  

Can I turn the tables on you for this question (if you have a Niresh 10.8.2 DVD to hand and if you have personally installed this distro yourself before now)?

Based on what you know of my system (probably very little except for what is in the signature line), what would YOU choose from Customise to definitely include and certainly exclude? Only worth answering if you can actually view this screen rather than trying to remember what was there or not.

It is both the fun and frustration 

And just to add to what I said before: I don't get much fun out of the fact that Apple programmers who are on mega-bucks salaries cannot even get right a simple piece of code to tell the end-user how long their install is going to take (I'm talking about the Time Remaining progress bar of course).

You know what i'd like to do? Make an appointment to meet each of the top Apple executives on some obscure pretext, and just as I walk into their office say to them, "Oh, excuse me, I'll be back in less than a minute", leave the room and keep them waiting for 10 minutes longer.............or even more if I was feeling particularly cruel. (Next day perhaps?)

If an OS is going to take two hours to install, tell me at the beginning of the process please. I don't mind if it does take that long, but that way if I know beforehand I can try and organise my life around it a bit better and do other things in the meantime.

what would YOU choose from Customise to definitely include and certainly exclude? 

Forget that request............I've had a success!!! Baby ML is now out of intensive care.

I feel like a character in Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland..........cos things just keep getting weirder and weirder.

I tried a few more times installing from scratch, trying out a few different combinations of options from Customise. But the finished product was getting worse and worse, not booting at all in safe mode even, and in normal boot just getting an endless loop of the same verbose messages.

So I restored my first install from the sparse image using CCC. (Did i tell you I have an external USB-SATA adapter which has a working and stable Leopard 10.5.2 on an 80GB SATA HDD? The drive I am using for my ML experiments is a 64 GB SSD.)

After the restore, as I knew the previous Darwin x86 B/L would not survive, I installed Chimera 2.1.2 to the SSD from Leopard using 'Install to a different location'. And guess what? ML booted up nice as pie with no histrionics straight into normal mode and the desktop. The only way I can explain it is that I saw immediately after the Chameleon timeout there was some sort of kernel patcher (Edit: and a bootstrap patcher) being applied. (Is there any way to pause verbose messages so that they can be read properly??)

Now to sort out a 'no internet' problem and get the GMA950 graphics with QE/CI working........... 

• Like 1

From what I see of the Niresh iso, there is no kernel named "amd", only: atom, hp, intel and mach_kernel.  That is for installation.  After installation, it is a default vanilla kernel unless you choose the Atom or HP kernel during Customize.

Well, it definitely is on my 10.8.2 DVD (along with hp & atom versions) and I think it is a modified kernel  (it is about the same size on disk as mach_kernel) and Niresh says that if you use it for install, you must use it every time you boot, either manually or by adding to the Boot.plist file.