• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
mr. west

ASUS Sabertooth X79 - Ivy Bridge-E - 4930k

221 posts in this topic

haha yeah its pretty quick.

I just need to figure out how to get OSX to work with Multiplier overclock, it only responds to BCLK overclock atm. Ive tried disabling C States and Speedstep but it doesn't work.

Does this mean I can finally build my 4930k hackintosh I've been dreaming about? I was waiting for OS X compatibility, it looks like you guys figured it out. I still need to decide on a motherboard, currently torn between P9X79 Pro and X79-UP4.

Just want to clarify about IVY-B E support under Mac OS X. 

Apple has only been using internal builds of Mac OS X to test the new Mac Pro which uses this chip gen. Once Apple releases the new Mac Pro native kernel support will exist and no more patching will be needed. Apple did this so that not to much info about the new Mac Pro could be discovered.  

Hope this clears a few things up.

Well things that have problems on P9X79 Pro currently:

Non native power management- Speedstep doesn't work fully (only switch between 1.2-3.6Ghz nothing in between). Most likely fixed when next Mac Pro releases.

To make USB 3.0 Ports work the GenericXHCIUSB kext needs to be installed - This causes instant wake from sleep.

Sleep - see above, works without that USB 3.0 kext fine.

Cannot detect CPU Core temperatures, FakeSMC needs updating. CPU Case temp is reported along with Power usage, VCore and Speed.

Cant get Multiplier Overclock to work.

I haven't tested Bluetooth and eSATA.

Well things that have problems on P9X79 Pro currently:

Non native power management- Speedstep doesn't work fully (only switch between 1.2-3.6Ghz nothing in between). Most likely fixed when next Mac Pro releases.

To make USB 3.0 Ports work the GenericXHCIUSB kext needs to be installed - This causes instant wake from sleep.

Sleep - see above, works without that USB 3.0 kext fine.

Cannot detect CPU Core temperatures, FakeSMC needs updating. CPU Case temp is reported along with Power usage, VCore and Speed.

Cant get Multiplier Overclock to work.

I haven't tested Bluetooth and eSATA.

Temps have absolutely nothing to do with FakeSMC. The plugins are at fault.

OC is a BIOS setting issue and has nothing to do with Mac OS X.

I have played with the Bios settings to no end, is there anything specific i need to change?

I have disabled Speedstep and C States and left Turbo enabled to use a Multiplier of x45 but it doesn't work.

Can you list what you patched in the kernel so it can be done to subsequent updates until Apple releases native support?

I use the following patch in a hex editor

eb1183f83TO eb1183f83e

Sabertooth x79 and 4930k here. i've gotten all osx versions for run with patched kernels. but i can only get QE/CI in snow leopard because i have a ati 5970. but in all the osx installs my external apogee one usb audio interface has skipping audio in everything. anyone have any ideas what would be causing this skiping audio? is it the pached kernel? is there something i can modify to get audio working without the skipping? would popping in a 3930k fix it? my previous hack was a 980x cpu on a rampage iii extreme. had no audio problems.

Thanks for the help everyone.  I've got Mavericks running on my Sabertooth X79 and 4930k now.  Great.  I used the patched kernel posted.  So far so good!

Hopefully the Mac Pro will come out soon enough and we can get native everything. 

Music Producer:  I roll back to some old drivers on the Sabertooth and have no issues with native audio.  Not sure about the external card though.

Thanks for the help everyone.  I've got Mavericks running on my Sabertooth X79 and 4930k now.  Great.  I used the patched kernel posted.  So far so good!

Hopefully the Mac Pro will come out soon enough and we can get native everything. 

Music Producer:  I roll back to some old drivers on the Sabertooth and have no issues with native audio.  Not sure about the external card though.

Roll back is not longer needed ;)

It's definitely something to do with the CPU. To test it I went out and bought a 3930k

I use USB audio from a apogee one (used for studio work)

With the 3930k it works with no problems, no stuttering in snow Leo, lion, mountain lion, and mavericks.

With the 4930k I get stuttering audio in all osx installs.

Power management aside for the overclocking and turboboost, p-states, I'll never get the kernel support for snow leopard.

I'm hoping to retest this issue with the usb audio stuttering once ib-e support is written into the mavericks kernel. As far as the other osx installs, I think I'll always get stuttering usb audio, ESP in snow leopard because of no ib-e support.

Edit: just to fully test this issue, I used a pci-e USB 2.0 add on card that was made for Mac to work natively with osx. I Reinstalled every osx version with a clean install, and hooked the apogee to the USB addon card. Still get audio stuttering in every install with the 4930k. Not sure why.

It's definitely something to do with the CPU. To test it I went out and bought a 3930k

I use USB audio from a apogee one (used for studio work)

With the 3930k it works with no problems, no stuttering in snow Leo, lion, mountain lion, and mavericks.

With the 4930k I get stuttering audio in all osx installs.

Power management aside for the overclocking and turboboost, p-states, I'll never get the kernel support for snow leopard.

I'm hoping to retest this issue with the usb audio stuttering once ib-e support is written into the mavericks kernel. As far as the other osx installs, I think I'll always get stuttering usb audio, ESP in snow leopard because of no ib-e support.

Edit: just to fully test this issue, I used a pci-e USB 2.0 add on card that was made for Mac to work natively with osx. I Reinstalled every osx version with a clean install, and hooked the apogee to the USB addon card. Still get audio stuttering in every install with the 4930k. Not sure why.

Hey, you can test your ivy-e in snow leopard if you use this kernel:

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/940-haswell-ivy-bridge-kernel-for-snow-leopard-10-6/

I've tried the Toleda solutions in your unified DMG but haven't had luck.  Also get KP with the included DSDT, but that's, I think, because my BIOS is a newer version. So I use a DSDT free solution and roll back old drivers from Lion and sound works.  Does the job for now. 

In any event, I'm using the Sabertooth X79 with a 4930k.  I'm running fine on Mavericks now with the modified kernel.  I can boot without NULLCPU, VoodooTSC, or an ACPI file.  However, I cannot yet get pstates/cstates generating properly.  Nor can I get the system to recognize an overclock, it just runs at the stock 3.4 Ghz.  Also, when I upgrade to the latest FakeSMC I cannot boot and got all sorts of USB errors.

So I've got a workable install for sure, but I think I'll wait till the Mac Pro release to try to get everything working 100%.

19,600 on Geekbench running native aint bad!

I've tried the Toleda solutions in your unified DMG but haven't had luck.  Also get KP with the included DSDT, but that's, I think, because my BIOS is a newer version. So I use a DSDT free solution and roll back old drivers from Lion and sound works.  Does the job for now. 

In any event, I'm using the Sabertooth X79 with a 4930k.  I'm running fine on Mavericks now with the modified kernel.  I can boot without NULLCPU, VoodooTSC, or an ACPI file.  However, I cannot yet get pstates/cstates generating properly.  Nor can I get the system to recognize an overclock, it just runs at the stock 3.4 Ghz.  Also, when I upgrade to the latest FakeSMC I cannot boot and got all sorts of USB errors.

So I've got a workable install for sure, but I think I'll wait till the Mac Pro release to try to get everything working 100%.

19,600 on Geekbench running native aint bad!

Thanks for the feed back. Wondering if a DSDT extract per CPU gen installed is the issue... can you post a DSDT and IOreg and I will take a look. Thanks. 

Good that im not the only one who's OC is not working in Mavericks, its definaltey just with the ivy-E's though, it worked fine with my 3960X.

Also I the AICPM kexts refuse to load at all as they detect an unsupported CPU, thats why we have no C/P states i believe, could be related to the OC as well.

Can someone upload the modified 10.8.5 kernel that they are using with IvyBridge-EP?  I have an E5-2697 V2 arriving tomorrow!

I tried to search in Hexedit to change  eb1183f83TO eb1183f83but the string does seem to be in the 10.8.5 kernel.  Am I missing something? 

Can someone upload the modified 10.8.5 kernel that they are using with IvyBridge-EP?  I have an E5-2697 V2 arriving tomorrow!

I tried to search in Hexedit to change  eb1183f83TO eb1183f83but the string does seem to be in the 10.8.5 kernel.  Am I missing something? 

I used this:

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/40-10-8-4-haswell-ivy-bridge-e-lapic-fix-kernel/

Good that im not the only one who's OC is not working in Mavericks, its definaltey just with the ivy-E's though, it worked fine with my 3960X.

Also I the AICPM kexts refuse to load at all as they detect an unsupported CPU, thats why we have no C/P states i believe, could be related to the OC as well.

I'll add that the OC didn't work in Mountain Lion or Mavericks.   I think most of this will get resolved with the Mac Pro release and the kernel from that becomes available.

One weird clue, though.  My OC does get recognized when I boot from the USB installer but load into the regular OS.  Not sure why.  Once I use a native bootloader, however, the OC gets lost.

I used this:

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/40-10-8-4-haswell-ivy-bridge-e-lapic-fix-kernel/

I'll add that the OC didn't work in Mountain Lion or Mavericks.   I think most of this will get resolved with the Mac Pro release and the kernel from that becomes available.

One weird clue, though.  My OC does get recognized when I boot from the USB installer but load into the regular OS.  Not sure why.  Once I use a native bootloader, however, the OC gets lost.

Thanks for that link!  I did not realize that the 10.8.4 kernel would work in 10.8.5.

Interesting about the OC--so if you use use the same version of the bootloader on a USB and then boot the main drive then it works?  Or is the USB installer using a different version of the bootloader than what you normally have installed to the drive?  It never occurred to me this could be a bootloader issue.  I have been having problems with this myself.

Also, if you want the OC now, you can always OC via BCLK instead.  I ended up resorting to that myself =/