xpamamadeus

Ozmosis

6,132 posts in this topic

For some reason on my system Oz fails to see my Ubuntu partition where as Clover has no problem.  The issue is that there are three linux partitions in total and Oz sees only two of them and misses seeing the grub loader partition. I know its there because Clover sees it and loads into Ubuntu.

@davidm71

I have this problem all the time with ArchLinux when I install other OS that change de boot partition, like Win10 with EFI for example.

What I do to solve this is boot Arch with pendrive and do the EFI boot for Arch again with GRUB.

But I don't know how to do this with Ubuntu.

Advertisement

@davidm71

I have this problem all the time with ArchLinux when I install other OS that change de boot partition, like Win10 with EFI for example.

What I do to solve this is boot Arch with pendrive and do the EFI boot for Arch again with GRUB.

But I don't know how to do this with Ubuntu.

Maybe using Clover to boot the ubuntu partition fixed it as my linux partitions is working now fwiw..  just got to be careful pressing the right arrow key too much..  however I can't get rid of the duplicate boot entry for Ubuntu. I went into hermit shell and did a 'bcfg boot dump' and tried deleting the linux boot entry with the lesser version number but it returns upon every reboot. According to bcfg both boot entries refer to the same partition and have the same hard drive identification guid number leading to an EFI\Boot folder with a filename like 'Vmlinuz-xxxxxxx036' vs 039. So it makes me wonder if I delete those files in the linux boot folder that reference the lesser version number would that remove the duplicate entry?

Anyhow as an aside I think it would be great if us modders can come up with different themes for Oz with different colors and visuals. I don't think the main developers would care about that. I only wonder if changing the theme requires changing the firmware directly or just  replacing the file in the EFI folder be good enough?

Thanks

I guess he means the Bios Boot Menu which on Gigabyte Boards is accessed via F12 key at startup...

Yup...Well on a QUO that gives the Oz boot entries but in 'Text Mode'

I debug Oz once (cant remember when), and cannot figure out how can we trick those problem with my patched Oz. I believe (in green) is something important values to be readed by Oz. Changing "00_00" value to Darwin / OS vers still doesnt help, and Oz will use the generic one as a fallback.

@cecekpawon, @TypeThree

Where do you pull that theme.bin file from? I used UefiTool to extract the raw body from horizontaltheme and got an xml file with font, color, and other values but no tEXT values. Theres some binary at the end of file. I suppose thats the png files you mentioned. Just confused how to extract those png files?

Thanks

Edit: Nevermind.. Found it! 

Yosh david Ive learned from this hacker to get all pngs ==>

@cecekpawon, @alanlcarlos,

Thanks. Is it necessary to place the theme.bin file back into the firmware or can it be loaded from the 'EFI\OZ' folder if I already have an ozmosistheme file in my rom? 

Don't want to over flash my system while I test out different themes..

Thanks

From this log, we can assumed Oz will search \Efi\Oz\Theme.bin first before Fv  yo david?

05:537 00:000 Register Interface Handler Period 100 ms 1000000 - Success
05:537 00:000 Unable To Load Theme from \Efi\Oz\Theme.bin - Not Found
05:539 00:002 Loaded Theme ac255206-dcf9-4837-8353-72bbbc0ac849 from Fv
05:539 00:000 Found Black Theme version 1.0.3 by HermitCrabs

From this log, we can assumed Oz will search \Efi\Oz\Theme.bin first before Fv  yo david?

Thats great!!!

Now if I only I could figure out whats best way to edit these png files and retain their metadata..

Thanks

@cecekpawon Yes! The theme can be loaded from EFI if its name is "Theme.bin". (only in it's non-compressed version, of course)

@davidm71 Well, editing the XML File is no problem at all though some variables don't work. If you want to change PNGs within the theme I would suggest to create or find a new PNG with the right size and use something like TweakPNG (http://entropymine.com/jason/tweakpng/) to add a tEXt function which should match the tEXt chunk of the PNG from the original theme that you want to replace. Afterwards you can check if your new Image or Button is displayed correctly. If yes, we will then know that Oz selects the images according to their tEXt chunk.

But I have no clue on how to add a new Badge for a new OS, maybe cecekpawon can help us with that and look up if this is stated in ozmosis.efi.

@cecekpawon Yes! The theme can be loaded from EFI if its name is "theme.bin" but only of it's not compressed, of course.

@davidm71 Well editing the XML File is no problem at all though some variables don't work. If you want to change PNGs within the theme I would suggest to create or find a new PNG and use something like TweakPNG (http://entropymine.com/jason/tweakpng/) to add a tEXt function, which should match the tEXt chunk of the PNG from the original theme that you want to replace. Afterwards you can check if your new Image or Button is displayed correctly. If yes, we will know that Oz selects the images according to their tEXt chunk.

@TypeThree,

I already found the TweakPNG app and been playing around with it but as far as the best app to perform direct manipulation on the png files do you think Photoshop up to the task or maybe Gimp? I just want to be able to also alter the background. I don't suppose there is a way to load a wall paper or reoccuring pattern?

Thanks

You can create PNGs with anything you want. You could also try to use PNG files of existing Clover themes as there are pretty decend ones. But before you publish anything, ask the creator of the files first...

Maybe theres a way to use an image as background since you could try to add a non working button with the size of the screen and make sure that it is not in the foreground somehow.

You can change the background colour by changing the colour hex value behind the (background:) # in the theme XML (e.g #A7A7A7 = grey, #000000 would be black). The first 3 ones somehow don't change anything but the last 3 ones work. These are for the top (toolbar-) area with the buttons (Shell, Firmware (activated) + Info, Option (deactivated)), for the middle (selector-) area and the bottom (title-) area.

You can create PNGs with anything you want. You could also try to use PNG files of existing Clover themes as there are pretty decend ones. But before you publish anything, ask the creator of the files first...

Maybe theres a way to use an image as background since you could try to add a non working button with the size of the screen and make sure that it is not in the foreground somehow.

You can change the background colour by changing the colour hex value behind the (background:) # in the theme XML (e.g #A7A7A7 = grey, #000000 would be black). The first 3 ones somehow don't change anything but the last 3 ones work. These are for the top area with the buttons (Shell, Firmware (activated) + Info, Option (deactivated)), for the selector area and the bottom (text-) area.

I thought of using a button or something to add a large background. Will give it a try. Want to make my own custom designs  and would definitely ask for permission from Clover lets say. As far as changing the theme do you think the Oz creator would mind? Not exactly a direct change of the original code.. just dressing up the esthetics..

Thanks

@cecekpawon,

How did you read those logs??

Thanks

The theme was created because people wanted a nice looking boot selection. If they wouldn't want us to be able to make changes they wouldnt have made it that simple to read out and configure.

The log should be bdmesg.

The theme was created because people wanted a nice looking boot selection. If they wouldn't want us to be able to make changes they wouldnt have made it that simple to read out and configure.

The log should be bdmesg.

Thanks for the tip. Viewed the log and it said it loaded the "Black Frog" Horizontal Theme from firmware not disk.. Guess it won't load from disk if theres one in firmware?

Bootcamp? What do you mean? UserInterface has to be enabled in defaults.plist and theme has to be non-compressed.

I mean the one in the Tutorial Ozmosis Theme linked here: 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291655-ozmosis/?p=2208757

Nope, Theme.bin from EFI is preferred over the one from firmware.

The theme from the alanlcarlos-package seems like its to old to work. Try to change values within the HorizontalTheme and see if it loads from EFI or use the latest edition of the BlackTheme, that should work too.

If you add new PNGs to a theme make sure to use images with the right size. You can find out the required size by checking bdmesg.

Maybe I have mixed up my default Oz Efi drive among the other four ssd disk drives I have. All of them have Efi Oz folders. Maybe BDMesg will tell me which one is the master drive.

Why do they all have an OZ folder? Just try using a current theme as I mentioned above.

@cecekpawon or someone else: Do you know how ozmosis determines which badge it has to use for which OS?

Why do they all have an OZ folder? Just try using a current theme as I mentioned above.

@cecekpawon or someone else: Do you know how ozmosis determines which badge it has to use for which OS?

Probably because I have mixed up the sata cables and when your do a 4-finger reset thats what happens. 

@cecekpawon,

Thanks. You just made my life easier. Was trying to write something similar in QT but why reinvent the wheel. Nice.

Edit: Does your script also concatenate?

From the source code, I dont think so... Would be great though. But there would have to be an option to select the files that shall be put together.

David did you already try if it's possible for you to replace images with new ones? Are there issues for you?

From the source code, I dont think so... Would be great though. But there would have to be an option to select the files that shall be put together.

David did you already try if it's possible for you to replace images with new ones? Are there issues for you?

I almost have put together an executable  program that on the Windows command line would split all the the png files in Theme.bin but Cecekpawon did such a nice job I'm not sure I'm going to continue writing it although his requires php to be installed. Not sure if after the plist file the order of badges matters but I wish I could have experimented with that more if not for the fact I went away for the weekend. Will let you know if there are any issues when I work on it later. If you could point me to a working Black Oz Theme that would be great. I'll do more later..

Thanks