making disk images

roses

21 posts in this topic

For the attention of the FAQ team

Would it be possible to have an FAQ about how to make disk images of successful installs (and even ones that are work in progress before you attempt something like an update which is sure to break it, so that you don't have to start from scratch every time)?

I have two installs that I'd like to back up: the first is on the 80GB SATA drive that came with my Dell Optiplex GX620 having a Leopard 10.5.3 that the previous owner had installed; the second is on my own 64GB SATA SSD which is a SL 10.6.6i which I've been trying to update to 10.6.8 with little success.

As I understand it, to make a Disk Image within OS X, you need three drives:

1) the drive with the operating system to do all the donkey work with Disk Utility

2) the source drive eg my 80GB SATA

3) the destination drive eg my blank 64GB SSD which I can then copy the image to my 2TB Windows PC

Is that right?

The problem is my Dell only has 1 (yep, count 'em, one) SATA port on its mainboard. I have a Sharkoon USB-SATA interface (very good bit of kit, highly recommended, very inexpensive, accepts both 2.5" and 3.5" drives, though not at the same time, although I believe other models in their range do have space for multiple drives). But that still leaves me with a logistics problem (without shelling out for another Sharkoon - not really viable at the moment) of how to plug in the 3rd drive. And I don't actually have a third drive I can use with my Mac just at the moment.

On my Windows PC, I have an excellent program called Reflect Macrium which is very easy to use, intuitive,and quick. It also has 2 added advantages: first, it only makes an image of the USED part of the drive; second, it compresses that image further when it saves it onto your hard drive.

So, for example, if I have a new installation of Win 7 on a 32GB SSD which is only taking up 15GB of space (no personal data yet, it's a fresh install, but it is set up just the way I like and I don't want to lose those settings), Reflect will take that partition, compress it by about 50-60% to approx. 8GB, and save it. Both save and restore are also very speedy - about 10-15 mins for each for that example.

Can Mac OS X disk imaging also do the same thing? I see in Disk Utility the function 'Resize Image' but isn't that AFTER the image has been created? If so, that gives me another logistical problem - how do I save a 10GB Leopard install on an 80GB SATA to a 64GB SSD??

If someone has the knowledge and the patience and the desire, could they write such an FAQ? Thanks in advance.

Hello roses!

I can not follow the toughts in your post, because you are ever jumping back an forth. I am a little confused.

You should put your hardware in your signature, like many others and I have done, to make it easier to support.

So far, as I can follow your writing, do you want to copy over your backup partitions to a 2 TB Win7 mashine.

If you have an existing network with all your computers, this is ok. If not, you need a so named "Cross over cable" to connect your OSX computers with the Mickysoft one.

In this case you can follow the follow this link in goal of this platform to become more educated in computerind and learn something: http://lifehacker.com/5691649/an-easier-way-to-set-up-time-machine-to-back-up-to-a-networked-windows-computer

Please put in your onw interest to get better supported your hardware in your signature, like many others and I have don it.

Have fun!

I can not follow the toughts in your post, because you are ever jumping back an forth. I am a little confused.

Well excuse me, but I feel my post is perfectly clear.

I do not mean to criticise you Styrian, as we welcome contributors from all over the world on this forum, but it seems to me you are not a native English speaker and therefore the pot should not be calling the kettle black, or to put in another way, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Perhaps you should use a spell-checker in your posts, or at least read it through a few times and preview it before you send it. Because frankly, I find what you said completely and utterly incomprehensible.

The only bit I really understood, I have already done, namely put my system specs in my signature (although if you took the time and trouble you could have looked at my previous posts to find out this information.)

I'll reiterate: I want to make a disk image (but without including the unused space on the drive) of my Hackintosh install, so that if I mess it up I can restore it and carry on from where I left off, instead of reinstalling from scratch.

And anyway, as it says at the top of my first post in this thread - this topic is not really for general discussion (although I welcome constructive comments like the Carbon Copy Cloner which I shall be investigating in due course) but for the attention of the FAQ team.

Excuse me Roses no harm meant. In any case I did not want to pull your leg.

But your cloning does not work in the way, you want to do it. It is not possible to save a cloned OSX partiton (it  is a one to one copy) to a Windows partition.

If you want to clone your systems within OSX you need two drives. Get CCC, as from iFire mentioned before, and install it on both systems.

At first clone the larger system to your SSD, partitoned in GPT to one partiton, formated in Mac OS Extended (Journaled). After having done this install a with 10.5 and 10.6 compatible version of Chameleon on the clone. You have install EFI on this HD to be able to boot with the clone.

Reboot and select in Bios the HD with the clone as boot device. If you can boot the clone, everything is ok.

Now you can shrink the cloned partiton  with Diskmanager to get enough free space to add a second partition, also formated in Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

After repeating the same way as beforewith the second system, install also Chameleon on this clone, but this time without any bootoption.

When you are able to boot from the second partiton of the HD with the clones, in Bios selected as bootdevice, everything is fine.

In order that you have not to use your SSD and can keep it, I have made the suggestion, to do a TimeMachine  backup over network in an folder on your Windows computer. The link with a good guide, for how to do this,  I have posted before.

If you buy a cross over cable (signed on both ends with a green plug) for a real small price, you are, when ever you want, able to copy files to your Win7 computer to free space in your OSX systems.

Restoring a OSX system works in the way, that you have to connect the HD with the system, that you want to restore,  to your other working system, on wich you have to activate the network. After formating the defect partiton, you can write the backup with TimeMachine back.

After installing bootable Chameleon on the  HD with the restored system, you have got your working system back.

I hope, that I have done this post in a clear, simple and for you understandable way.

By the way have already the old Roman the following told, "Si tacuisses philosophus mansisses!"

If you discover again by me done spelling mistakes and typing mismatches, then you are gladly allowed to keep them for free.

Excuse me Roses no harm meant. In any case I did not want to pull your leg.

If you buy a cross over cable (signed on both ends with a green plug)

@ Styrian

Apology accepted, although it's a very strange way to pull someone's leg. (I think you used the wrong idiom here, you need to go back to a dictionary to find out the true meaning of this phrase.)

What's all this about a crossover cable? I don't want to connect my two computers (my Mac and my PC) together!!!! All I want to do is use my huge 2TB drive on my PC to "archive" and store my Mac OS X images.

The way I see it, I can transfer files and folders between the two systems using a USB stick and MacDrive on the PC (which recognises Mac formatted partitions and data). So why wouldn't a Mac drive image be just another file as far as the PC is concerned?

I think I'll wait if you don't mind for someone from the FAQ team to write a method that I can understand.

@iFire  Can you be a bit more specific about how CCC works please? 

As a noob, I thought it was a piece of 3rd party software and that I would have to go trawling the net looking for it, but then I came across it by accident while searching for something else in my Applications folder.

I know you're going to tell me to RTFM, but just a few indications with respect to my queries in my original post would be useful, eg

a) Can I make a drive image of the drive I am running the OS X from (in my case my 80GB)?

b ) Can I only copy the USED part of the partition, or does Shrink Image work only AFTER the image has been created?

C.C.C - Carbon Copy Cloner

@iFire

Frankly, I'm disappointed, because you as a Moderator (and therefore hopefully an experienced Hackintosher) should be more aware than most that just saying the 3 words above to me as a noob is not very helpful.

Just a few lines in answer to my queries in my first post would have been sufficient.

I've just spent hours and hours learning how to use CCC but to absolutely no avail. None of my results are BOOTABLE!!!! Either by cloning or making a New Image and adding the contents of System 23GB to it.

Just to clarify: my 80GB HDD is split into 2 partitions, System 23GB and Data for the rest (about 53GB). It is obviously the former I want to backup. According to Get Info it has about 11.3GB used ie about 50% full.

With imy 64GB SSD attached to my Sharkoon USB-SATA adapter, I formatted it in various ways (GUID/GPT and MBR) and of course with Mac Extended journalled and used the clone function of CCC to copy the contents of System 23GB to it. Put it back in the Dell, but it doesn't boot, either on its own or with the help of a CD such as eye-Boot or Nawcom's ModCD.

Also with various partition structures, I tried restoring the .sparseimage (is that the same as a DMG? Can I rename it to DMG without any ill-effects?) to the SSD 64. Again, doesn't boot, with or without CD assistance.

This is why I need an FAQ. I must be doing something basically wrong. (The only good news is that I can physically take my 64GB SSD to my Windows PC and save the .sparseimage file to it with no probs - as I have MacDrive. But I don't know if this image is useful or not as I haven't been able to successfully restore it yet.)

I've just spent hours and hours learning how to use CCC but to absolutely no avail. None of my results are BOOTABLE!!!!

This is perfectly normal, CCC doesn't clone the boot sector. You must install your boot loader manually onto the cloned drive. The same goes for images built with Disk Utility.

If you still can't boot after doing that, then you have some sort of configuration issue that is unrelated to the cloning process.

This is perfectly normal, CCC doesn't clone the boot sector. You must install your boot loader manually onto the cloned drive. The same goes for images built with Disk Utility.

But I have just read in the CCC help files that it DOES make bootable images!!!

Remember I'm a noob - just saying "install your boot loader manually" doesn't really help me. I need to know how to do this. How can I add a B/L to a installation that won't boot up in the first place?

And anyway, eye-Boot and ModCD should function as a substitute bootloader. But I repeat: they don't work, I just get KP.

But only on real Mac's.  

And that's EXACTLY WHY we need a FAQ so that noobs can understand how a program like CCC has to be used differently on a Hackintosh!!!!!

I've just spent a WHOLE DAY trying to figure this out on my own. Now I'm giving up (at least on this particular plan of attack of furthering my Hackintoshing skills) until someone writes a clear and easy-to-follow FAQ.

I even worked out how to do what Gringo Vermelho said, and while running Leopard on the 80GB and the 64GB attached to the USB-SATA adapter installed a bootloader (Chameleon I think it was) using "Install to a Different Location".

But guess what, on its own, the 64GB started up by itself with the B/L screen appearing, but it crashed within about 10 seconds. That's when I threw in the towel for the day.

****PS The plural of Mac is Macs (without the apostrophe)****

@ roses

............but it seems to me you are not a native English speaker and therefore the pot should not be calling the kettle black, or to put in another way, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I do not know, from which part of the world you are, as an native English speaking person from, and I am really  not Interested in knowing it.

........although it's a very strange way to pull someone's leg. (I think you used the wrong idiom here, you need to go back to a dictionary to find out the true meaning of this phrase.

In an English (British) dlctionary for idioms there is:

to pull so.'s leg synonym for to joke (about sth.)

If I would have read your post ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/233396-dell-optiplex-gx520/page-14?do=findComment&comment=1942007 ) and therefore known, that you come from the Hackintosh world of Distro's, I think, I would not have in my replies to your topic tried, to help you. I could have  better things done in the time, I spent to reply to it.

At least I have to write to your topic not only more then the follwing, and iFire would do this, as I him know as Staff, in an similar way:

Please try to find a software for your needs, and buy it. If you are not able to find it, let it develope for your personal use.

Please buy your OSX system software in the App Store and read the rules as also the here in the New User Lounge pinned topics.

If you want to learn something following the goal of this platform, you are very welcome. If you don't like this and further stay away, I and many others won't worry about it.

My intention is even not to embarrass or to flame nore mobbing you.

I have nothing more to reply to your topic, and therefore is it for me closed.

Have fun and once more no harm meant!

But guess what, on its own, the 64GB started up by itself with the B/L screen appearing, but it crashed within about 10 seconds. That's when I threw in the towel for the day.

****PS The plural of Mac is Macs (without the apostrophe)****

All right, enough with the grammar already (all of you!), it's counter-productive and annoying. You're getting good help here and that's what matters, so please take what you can get and try to ignore the broken English, native or non-native.

If it crashes within 10 seconds there's a configuration issue and there's no way to write a FAQ for that because whatever the issue may be, it is now specific to your particular hardware.

If it crashes within 10 seconds there's a configuration issue and there's no way to write a FAQ for that because whatever the issue may be, it is now specific to your particular hardware.

Sorry, but that doesn't wash with me. 

I take an install that boots on its own with no configuration issues. I then use CCC to clone or make a disk image (in other words, a bit-for-bit copy) of that install. 

I re-format that drive and restore it either with the cloned files or the disk image. Surely that should then boot up and run with no configuration issues too????. What has happened in the meantime? Has CCC somehow corrupted something or forgotten to include something - apart from the boot sector and bootloader I mean?

(Like I said before, I do this all the time with Windows installs using Reflect Macrium and have had NO PROBLEMS ever saving or restoring.)

How am I as a noob supposed to know that CCC clones and images real Macs including the boot sector but doesn't do so on Hackintoshes???

Why does iFire suggest this program if s/he knows that and thus waste 8 hours of my time on a Sunday?? Why don't the other contributors on this thread who are 'giving good help' chip in with this vital bit of information to save me from so much anguish?

I also refuse to take part any longer in this thread (so don't bother writing any replies cos I won't be reading them) because ALL I want is a clear and detailed set of instructions (preferably written by a native speaker) in the FAQ section - which is was what I originally asked for. The original post was clearly marked for the attention of the FAQ team, and so far none of the contributors of this thread (who it would appear are not members of that team) have helped me in any way, just further muddied the waters.

Suit yourself but consider this - no-one is going to write a personalized FAQ just for you.

It is true that CCC does not clone the boot loader when cloning a drive with a Hackintosh install. Nobody is expecting you to know that, but you could have found that out if you'd done a little research first before spending 8 hours with it (seriously, 8 hours? I'd kill myself). There's no way you can pin the blame on anybody else but yourself for not doing that (researching, not killing yourself).

If you'd spent 4 hours researching instead, then you'd be smarter than all of us. In fact I'll bet that you could have written and submitted an excellent FAQ yourself during the other 4 hours and come out of the whole thing with a bootable clone and a smile from ear to ear. 8 hours well spent fixing your issues while contributing to the community.

I maintain that if you can't boot the clone it's an issue with the boot loader. Either you haven't installed it properly, or you haven't configured it exactly as it was on the original installation. As for how to properly install a bootloader and especially, how to configure it for your particular hardware, we're now in entirely different territory.

Not going to comment on your attitude even though as a moderator I probably should.

• Like 4

I'd add to what Gringo said: you're not entitled to any support, because you're not paying for it. Also, no one is obligated to support you, because nobody is being paid for it. The second statement reinforces the first and would be unnecessary, but i'm not really sure you comprehend. On the other hand, people from "all over the world" are willing to help you, asking nothing in return, but because of that very fact, it's very hard to get any help being arrogant and passive-agressive with people with are trying to help you, but could really be doing another thing far more enjoyable. I myself was prepared to give you a hand, since I have a little experience with Disk Utility advanced features and cloning tools, but I think I'll pass - and "don't bother writing any replies cos I won't be reading them" - after reading your whole, uh, performance. For a man whose nickname is "roses" you were quick to shoot your guns.

P.S.: capitalization and punctuation errors are as bad as wrong apostrophes, so i suppose "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

P.P.S.: perhaps the other site is the place for you. Enjoy!

• Like 3

Sounds to me like you do not have much of a clue on what you is doing and are expecting to have the answer spoonfed to you.  Hackintoshes are not the run of the mill windows computer that everyone and their uncle buy and run, where there is multiple places to get info.  Hackintoshes are extremely tempermental, don't always work the way you would think they would.  So coming here and expecting someone to drop what they are doing and write you a little tutorial on how to do what you want is asinine.  Sounds to me like you need to do alot of reading, the answers you seek are out there somewhere.  So take your arrogant attitude and go and find them.

• Like 2

As it has already been said, we don't write tutorials or FAQs on demand.

I am the administrator, and yet I could never ask anybody to do a specific work, as nobody is paid here. People who help do it out of the goodness of their heart or because they enjoy it.

There are sites and people willing to help you for a price, but I won't mention them.

• Like 1

Contrary to what I said before, I have come back to this thread; although, to be honest, I didn't read everything.

However, I apologise wholeheartedly and unreservedly to anyone I've offended.

I also say sorry if my first post sounded 'demanding'. It was meant to be a request in the politest possible terms. I find it difficult to understand how it was misconstrued. It was also meant to be primarily for the FAQ team.

All I want is some help. I'm a noob. That's why I come to this lounge. I have a particular problem with my Hackintoshing, I've tried to find the answer by searching this and other forums and on the net, but to no avail. Sometimes it's a case of you don't even know what to look for.

@Alesandro17  Perhaps you could either tell me publicly or via PM who are the members of the FAQ team. I wish to send my apologies to them personally and explain that in no way do I expect them to give up their free time for me. I am not a special person and I do not want or expect to get any preferential treatment. But if one or more of them know how to do what I'm trying to achieve, then a few lines of text or suggestions or pointers of where to look would be most gratefully received.

I probably won't revisit this particular thread as I see no point in flogging a dead horse, but if the administrators, moderators and IM members allow me, I would like to continue posting in this lounge and the rest of the forum.

Thank you.

I didn't read all the post here , so i'll be quick.

i have SL on usb drive

I down loaded Mav 9 dmg. restored to HD using disk utilities.

installed chameleon boot loader. booted up.

booted and ran fine. 

made an image to restore where ever, always installed boot loader after restore.

The image will contain all your data/apps  ever thing , a mirror image.

@Alesandro17  Perhaps you could either tell me publicly or via PM who are the members of the FAQ team. I wish to send my apologies to them personally and explain that in no way do I expect them to give up their free time for me. I am not a special person and I do not want or expect to get any preferential treatment. But if one or more of them know how to do what I'm trying to achieve, then a few lines of text or suggestions or pointers of where to look would be most gratefully received.

Bottom of the front page-> The Moderating Team-> FAQ Team