TatsuArekku

"ERROR: MMIO regMap == NULL - fall back to old SMC mode"

24 posts in this topic

Hello all,

On my HP ENVY dv6-7247cl, I've installed Windows 8, OS X 10.8, and OS X 10.9 on three separate partitions. I am unable to boot into the last, however, receiving in verbose mode the text "ERROR: MMIO regMap == NULL - fall back to old SMC mode" followed by "Still waiting for root device." I've read that this can be solved by installing the AppleSMC.kext from 10.8, but unfortunately it didn't work when I tried it. Does anyone know of another solution?

Many thanks,

TatsuArekku

Specs:

Intel Core i7-3630QM

8 GB DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Intel Panther Point HM77, Intel Ivy Bridge

If I've neglected to include anything necessary, please let me know!

Advertisement

hello

that msg about smc is not the problem..

the problem is the still waiting for root device..

try to boot with

-v npci=0x2000 or 0x3000

good hack

Thank you for your suggestion, artur-pt.

When booting with -v npci=0x2000, I receive the same result as before. When booting with -v npci=0x3000, however, I receive a kernel panic. Attached is a photograph of my verbose readout when booting with -v npci=0x3000.

Thanks,

TatsuArekku

post-1194575-0-03745100-1377568562_thumb.jpg

Do you boot using AHCI mode? It may also be the case that you need AHCI patch. 

Unfortunately, my BIOS doesn't have the option to change the SATA controller mode to AHCI (which, coincidentally, is why I was amazed that the 10.9 installation recognized my hard drive in the first place). Do you know where can I get an AHCI patch for 10.9? Or, if it's only available and working for 10.8.4, I'd be happy with that too, as I can't upgrade Mountain Lion past 10.8.1 or else I get "Still waiting for root device."

Thank you,

TatsuArekku

You can Google for the "HP Pro book Installer." It is for HP Pro books, but does have the option to install the AHCI patch. Also, I believe the AHCI3rdParty.kext may work for you. You can do a Google search. Also, there is a DSDT patch, but whether or not is for your system, I'm not certain. Plus, I can't find the link at this moment.

Note: only select the AHCI patch if you use the HP Pro book installer. Reason being I'm not sure what kexts it installs. However, if you are willing to read about it and see what it installs, your post install may be much quicker and smoother. 

You can Google for the "HP Pro book Installer." It is for HP Pro books, but does have the option to install the AHCI patch. Also, I believe the AHCI3rdParty.kext may work for you. You can do a Google search. Also, there is a DSDT patch, but whether or not is for your system, I'm not certain. Plus, I can't find the link at this moment.

Note: only select the AHCI patch if you use the HP Pro book installer. Reason being I'm not sure what kexts it installs. However, if you are willing to read about it and see what it installs, your post install may be much quicker and smoother. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I installed both the AHCI patch and the AHCI3rdParty.kext, but I nevertheless receive "Still waiting for root device" when booting without npci=0x3000 and a kernel panic when booting with it.

Do you have any knowledge or experience concerning this patch: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/36-patched-ioahciblockstorage-for-ioahcifamily/

I feel like it'd be worth trying, but I don't think I can use it from my Mountain Lion partition since the patch employs Terminal. Do you (or anyone else?) know of a way I can make Terminal operations like the patch apply to a separate OS on another partition?

Many thanks.

You can try that. I have no doubt that someone else knows how to use the terminal well. I have some idea, but I have never used terminal in such a manner. If you can still boot into ML, just install the kext in S/L/E/IOAHCIFamily/Contents/Plugins. You can also use Mac Drive via Windows to do the same. But if you want to use terminal:

For accessing a volume: 

cd /Volumes/YourVolumeHere or cd /YourVolumeHere

If the volume(s) have spaces, like mine, use this:

cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/" c 

Replace "Macintosh HD" with your drive name. 

To copy: sudo cp nameofthefile /TargetVolume/

An example using my drive name: Mavericks.

sudo cp IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext /Volumes/Mavericks/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

With the above command, I believe it is possible to add the source path as well as the destination. Makes it easier. 

You probably want to check Google regarding my terminal commands; I'm just adding my knowledge together  :hysterical:.

And finally, for what it's worth, do you have USB 3.0 and the right kext? If not, you can try an alternate USB port, especially if you're currently using a USB 3.0 port, with the boot flags: 

npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No

You can try that. I have no doubt that someone else knows how to use the terminal well. I have some idea, but I have never used terminal in such a manner. If you can still boot into ML, just install the kext in S/L/E/IOAHCIFamily/Contents/Plugins. You can also use Mac Drive via Windows to do the same. But if you want to use terminal:

For accessing a volume: 

cd /Volumes/YourVolumeHere or cd /YourVolumeHere

If the volume(s) have spaces, like mine, use this:

cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/" c 

Replace "Macintosh HD" with your drive name. 

To copy: sudo cp nameofthefile /TargetVolume/

An example using my drive name: Mavericks.

sudo cp IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext /Volumes/Mavericks/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

With the above command, I believe it is possible to add the source path as well as the destination. Makes it easier. 

You probably want to check Google regarding my terminal commands; I'm just adding my knowledge together  :hysterical:.

And finally, for what it's worth, do you have USB 3.0 and the right kext? If not, you can try an alternate USB port, especially if you're currently using a USB 3.0 port, with the boot flags: 

npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No

Thanks for all your help! It's greatly appreciated. I'll give your advice a try.  :)

Edit: I just realized I linked the wrong page!  :whistle:

Here is what I was talking about, which as you can see is not a kext (I knew those were easily install-able from both Windows and OS X): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280062-waiting-for-root-device-when-kernel-cache-used-only-with-some-disks-fix/.

Eh, the script doesn't seem to work, and an endless array of attempted boot arguments don't seem to either. Thanks for your assistance, though.  :D

I'll get it one day.  B)

I believe you are referring to the patch. If so it should be similar to installing the kext. You would have to access the volume then use the "sudo perl" command to apply the patch instead of the "sudo cp IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext."

Welcome to the world of hackintosh  :). And how are you so sure? This has always been solved by the solutions put forth in this thread. I had the same issue at first, but all I had to do was enable AHCI mode in my BIOS. You don't have this option, unfortunately. 

Well, I've replaced the IOAHCIFamily.kext, edited its contents, attempted to patch it, etc, but all to no avail; I feel as if I've exhausted my options concerning it. And yes, I really believe the issue is my inability to switch my SATA controller mode to AHCI; however, I've honestly no idea how to make up for that.  :(

I've heard about flashing one's BIOS, but considering how risky it sounds (if I've read the correct information), I think I'd like to avoid that.

Yeah, I avoided patching my BIOS due to the risk.

But you already had the option to change your SATA controller mode to AHCI regardless, correct? Why would you have flashed your BIOS for any reason?

hello

hack mac os x is copy the hardware of a real mac

i don't know any mac this days working without ahci and guid partition table...

i'm sure if u bios don't have ahci .. is not by dsdt u gonna solved that big problem.. try to see the several kext for PATA.. and see one is working for u...

and like the other user say.. hack mac os x is nothing 100 % sure..

to have a install with any issues .. only in a mac.. and several times .. real mac have problems.. rsrssrs

good hack

Thanks for the link, but trust me, I've had a look over that page many times.  :P

hello

hack mac os x is copy the hardware of a real mac

i don't know any mac this days working without ahci and guid partition table...

i'm sure if u bios don't have ahci .. is not by dsdt u gonna solved that big problem.. try to see the several kext for PATA.. and see one is working for u...

and like the other user say.. hack mac os x is nothing 100 % sure..

to have a install with any issues .. only in a mac.. and several times .. real mac have problems.. rsrssrs

good hack

Thanks for the info; I realize hackintoshing is never 100% and that's it's mostly just for the fun of it, so don't worry, I'm not particularly irritated or anything. :)

I'm not sure what kexts you're referring to by "several kexts for PATA." Could you direct me to them?

Thanks!

But you already had the option to change your SATA controller mode to AHCI regardless, correct? Why would you have flashed your BIOS for any reason?

Patching the BIOS allows for native power management without patching a kext. 

I don't know if you fixed your problem yet, but i had the exact same KP because of graphics (i have optimus), so i believe so far you are on the wrong track.
Try playing around with you graphic kexts (removing Nvidia, ATI), try to use the latest chameleon and inject your intel GPU data to see if any difference there.

for still waiting on root device, you could try pulling non-achi sata drivers from iatkos ML2