Unsupported CPU panic installing 10.8 with core i7 on x79 motherboard via Clover.

Charlweed

6 posts in this topic

I am trying to do a new install of OSX Mountain Lion 10.8. I am booting from a fresh install partition. I’ve tried with and without a DSDT from rampagedev.  Some have reported success with Chameleon, but I am booting UEFI, so those solutions have not worked for me yet. I've tried the cpus=1 boot option, and the KernelLapics option. 

The kernel panic is :

“Unsupported CPU: family =06”

“Kernel Extensions in Backtrace:

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement(196,0)”

Sorry for the poor picture!

KP_photo_00.png

I suspect that I have the wrong kexts or I am missing kexts in either

Clover: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\X79-UD7\UEFI\KEXTS

or

OSX Install System/Library/Extensions

In the extensions dir, I have tried it empty, with only FakeSMC, with only NullCPUPowerManagement, and I have tried it with all 220 10.8 kexts that are part of a 10.8 distro.

So far I always get the Unsupported CPU kernel panic. Or it hangs at the using xxx buffers after the MAC framework is initialized.

In a nutshell:

Hardware:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3960X @3.3GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-x79-UD7 (UEFI 10)

Boot Medium: Seagate 1Tb fixed drive. SATA dev 1, GPT partition 0

RAM: R-Skillz RIPJAWS 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz

Video:NVIDIA 680 GTX

Audio: Creative SB X-Fi

Software:

Bootloader Clover 1943

OSX 1.8 Mountain Lion

DSDT: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD7 Ver. 1.1 (Dec 2012) for BIOS F10

Some kexts: AppleIntelE1000e.kext fakesmc2.5 MarvelL88se9172AHCIPortInjector.kext NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Config:

SATA boot (NOT USB boot) device GPT

Clover config path: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\X79-UD7\UEFI\config.plistConfig.plist

Uploaded docs

PLEASE IGNORE THE INVALID CERTIFICATE WARNING

Thanks in advance!

Some have had success? Thats a bold statement that is un-true. Chameleon will always work in legacy mode. Now back on topic:

As you can see from the picture that it is hanging on power management and it is not seeing NullCPU unless you do not have it on the USB stick you are booting with. 

Install it using my hack and then install the kext into SLE. Then install Clover and find what settings you need to get it to boot. Then you can make those settings on the USB stick and install with Clover if you ever have to reinstall. 

Post the results. 

You should be able to get that hardware to work perfectly with Chameleon. I think, if you factor out full speed step, almost all have had success. Can't offer any help regarding Clover, but can offer this:

For reasons I don't understand, when last attempting to install OSX on my x79 system with a hand made installer key, I encountered a similar error (relating to AICPM) trying to get to the installer, even though NullCPU was installed to the key. Removing AICPM altogether allowed me to access the installer and complete the install. Then after the install was complete the system booted fine with both AICPM and NullCPU installed.

• Like 1

You should be able to get that hardware to work perfectly with Chameleon. I think, if you factor out full speed step, almost all have had success. Can't offer any help regarding Clover, but can offer this:

For reasons I don't understand, when last attempting to install OSX on my x79 system with a hand made installer key, I encountered a similar error (relating to AICPM) trying to get to the installer, even though NullCPU was installed to the key. Removing AICPM altogether allowed me to access the installer and complete the install. Then after the install was complete the system booted fine with both AICPM and NullCPU installed.

What he is saying is go to System/Library/Extensions and remove AICPM.kext from the USB install media. 

Install it using my hack and then install the kext into SLE. Then install Clover and find what settings you need to get it to boot. Then you can make those settings on the USB stick and install with Clover if you ever have to reinstall.

Post the results.

Thanks very much, but which hack do you mean?

I can easily copy files to, or delete files from my EFI partition or the Mac OSX partition using another Mac. So are you saying to get NullCPUPowermanagement.kext into the install partition's System/Library/Extensions/ folder by any means I can? Or do I need your special hack? While I am there I will delete AICPM.kext from System/Library/Extensions too.