OSx86 Progress Slow

stelriah

8 posts in this topic

is there really much left to do besides video drivers and maybe more wireless drivers?
And sound drivers, Ethernet drivers, IDE-drivers...but really, I think that further developement for the currently available 10.4.1, which is a dead end.

Recently 10.4.2 Intel x86 is out and we know will be out, sooner or later, on the torrents.

And while it may be interesting to get that version patched and running too, if only for us poor SSE2 only cpu users, again 10.4.2 also will unlikely be the final version that will be on the 2006 release Intel Mac's.

It is even speculated that the 2006 x86 Intel Mac's will not be running Tiger, but Leopard.

Personally I suspect it to be Tiger first.

After all, what sense would it make to let developpers fine-tune their products to run on Tiger,

to have the final release run on it's successor (Leopard) and have thousands of compatability problems all over again...? ;) That's not good buisness.

That final version is the one we want in the end on our vanilla x86 pc's,

that's the one that will have perspective in the long run.

That one will support the graphic hardware besides Intel's onboard {censored}, a broader hardware range.

I consider the osx versions up till that final release mere practice...but for us...and for Apple :huh: .

We can only hope that the final will not be hardware-locked for Intel Mac's only.

And wishfull think that Apple recognises the market for osx software that can be bought seperately to install on x86 vanilla pc's to consider as an alternative for Microsoft. I think the time is right.

It is even speculated that the 2006 x86 Intel Mac's will not be running Tiger, but Leopard.

Where is this rumor coming from?

Apple has made it very clear that x86 Macs will be publicly released at least six months before Leopard. Furthermore, this is not consistent with rumors that we will them even sooner, like perhaps Q1 06, to take advantage of the "early adopter" phenomenon for debugging and pushing software developers to finish the PPC to x86 ports.

I mean, strategically Apple needs to get this transition over as soon as it reasonable possible. Delaying it while further complicating the transition with Leopard does not make sense to me. Really, it is Leopard that should be delayed, not x86 Macs per se.

graphic hardware besides Intel's onboard {censored}
Intel integrated graphics are no {censored}. Actually they're ideally suited to applications that favor low power consumption, little heat dissipation as well as high system integration over sheer 3D performance. I expect to see Intel integrated graphics at least in the upcoming Mac Mini and iBook lines.