How much ram for a mini?

8 posts in this topic

I want to upgrade the ram i have in my mini because right now i only have 512 in it. but i'm not sure whether to get 1 or 2 gb. i'd hate to spend the extra money if i don't need it, but i don't want to wish i had gotten more later. i usually only use it for browsing the web, listening to music, but i also use iphoto, garageband, and starting to use aperture quite a bit. i also want to be ready to use vista well on my mini. and if possible, maybe some gaming too (could it run call of duty 2 with more ram?).

my main concern comes down to aperture, i want to be able to use other programs (like itunes or safari) while i have it open. that's the only reason i could really see needing 2 gb. i know a mini isn't the ideal machine for this kind of work, but i plan on upgrading to a mbp next year. after that i'll pass the mini down to my brother.

also, know any good places to get ram? i've looked and have a few that look ok, and other places i've seen 2 x 1gb sticks for over $300. i can't go that high, not worth it for the time i'll have it.

I want to upgrade the ram i have in my mini because right now i only have 512 in it. but i'm not sure whether to get 1 or 2 gb. i'd hate to spend the extra money if i don't need it, but i don't want to wish i had gotten more later. i usually only use it for browsing the web, listening to music, but i also use iphoto, garageband, and starting to use aperture quite a bit. i also want to be ready to use vista well on my mini. and if possible, maybe some gaming too (could it run call of duty 2 with more ram?).

my main concern comes down to aperture, i want to be able to use other programs (like itunes or safari) while i have it open. that's the only reason i could really see needing 2 gb. i know a mini isn't the ideal machine for this kind of work, but i plan on upgrading to a mbp next year. after that i'll pass the mini down to my brother.

also, know any good places to get ram? i've looked and have a few that look ok, and other places i've seen 2 x 1gb sticks for over $300. i can't go that high, not worth it for the time i'll have it.

as much as possible :)

max

I think that u'll not need 2gb. Buy 512mg extra (1gb total) and u'll be fine. U can also buy 1gb extra (1,5gb total) to be sure u'll get the performance u're looking for. About Call of duty 2, I've read that the GMA950 runs the game under windows xp, but not under OS X (please correct me if i'm wrong), but with over 1gb ram u'll run whatever ur computer CAN run.

hope this helps. good luck