D420 Video Issues w/ multiple OSX versions - what am I doing wrong here?

CorBryant

2 posts in this topic

This is my first run at this, and I've read through the forums until my eyes bled and can't seem to find any references to the issue I'm having, which surprised me.  Perhaps my search skills just suck?

I've tried Kalyway 10.5.2 and a 10.6.3 retail image and the issue is the same either way.

I'm using the Dell MiniBoot 123 to start it.. Oh, and I've also just booted straight from the Kalyway DVD.

I manage to install it, and get it to run with various issues, WiFi, no LAN, no sound, etc -- but I've seen posts for that stuff so I'm sure I can get past all that.. The video issue is what is holding me up..  I can only get a good screen on an external monitor using the VGA port.  If I hit F8, it whacks the screen out and looks like I'm trying to push it to a resolution that it can't handle which isn't the case, I've tried 640x480 and 1028x768 and the results are the same.  I've also adjusted the refresh rate from 75 to 60. 

When I hit F8 to go back to the external screen, the issue jumps to that screen to.  I can only use it if I boot it to the external screen and leave it be.  Video is kind of choppy too. 

I'm downloading the iATKOS S3 v2 ISO right now though I don't know if this is going to help.  It's going to take a day to get it at a whopping 50kB/sec so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone could point me in the right direction. 

This D420 has the Intel 82945 chipset and the Dell WiFi card so I thought I was in good shape!  For the record, the WiFi sees my network but says connection timeout when I enter the key.  If I click cancel, it says it's connected but doesn't pull an IP address or subnet.  If I manually assign it still doesn't work. 

Thanks for any help!  It seems to me this D420 might quell my lust for the AirBook I'll never be able to afford.  LOL  Hey, it's thin at least.  wink.png

that machine at most can only run Snow Leopard. you can read through this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/178411-guide-boot-cd-d-series-latitudew-nvidia-or-gma950-and-intel-dual-core-retail-installs/page-67?hl=%2Bleppy&do=findComment&comment=1825031 also there is a site called osxlatitude that supports those old dells and that specific model.