Multi-Display Dock issues

ludacrisvp

5 posts in this topic

Running on MacPro3,1 with Nvidia 8800GT (Apple) Slot-1 and AMD Radeon HD 5770 (XFX) Slot-2.

3 displays (1 TV, 2 Monitors)

(full details below)

Issue:

When moving from display to display the dock will not come up like in the demo.

Once in a while it seems to come up. 

I wasn't able to get it to move from display to display at all unless I had 'hiding' turned on. 

But even when hid and the alternate display 'activated' (no longer showing a dimmed menu bar) it seems that the dock doesn't want to come up on the alternate display for a while, if ever...

Anyone have any tips on how to make the dock move faster to the other display?

The Samsung TV is in a separate room from the Mac and is connected via HDMI that I've run through the walls of the house and am using a wireless keyboard and mouse to use the Mac from the other room in the house. (Logitech Y-RAN77 touchpad/KB combo made for the PS3)

Also for some reason I cannot get the samsung display to run at the proper 1080p resolution.

Due to what I assume is either too long of a cable or EMI issues I can only run 1080i @ 60Hz or 720p @ 60Hz.

In Mountain Lion and lower I can run 1080p @ 30Hz perfectly fine, but Mav will drop me to 720p @60Hz if I try to pick 30Hz for 1080p.

Mav seems to somewhat ignore the preferences set in the display preferences page based on the above information.

I have also noticed that with Mav the 5770 is sending HDMI audio to my receiver (ML did not do that) but there is no sound, my receiver is just picking up a 2.1 channel signal from the TV.

I have no 3rd party kexts installed ... completely vanilla install on a real mac.

Thinking of trying voodoohda to see if it can get the HDMI audio out working in the 5770.

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770
  Type: GPU
  Bus: PCIe
  Slot: Slot-2
  PCIe Lane Width: x16
  VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
  Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID: 0x68b8
  Revision ID: 0x0000
  ROM Revision: 113-B9710C-238
  EFI Driver Version: 01.00.417
  Displays:
HF257: <---- Standard 26" monitor (HDMI->DVI)
  Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (1080p)
  Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Display Serial Number: 910RG3NA01945
  Main Display: Yes
  Mirror: Off
  Online: Yes
  Rotation: Supported
  Television: Yes
SAMSUNG:  <---- this is my TV 59" plasma display (HDMI)
  Resolution: 1280 x 720 @ 60Hz (720p)
  Pixel Depth: 16-Bit Color (ARGB1555)
  Television: Yes

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
  Type: GPU
  Bus: PCIe
  Slot: Slot-1
  PCIe Lane Width: x16
  VRAM (Total): 512 MB
  Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID: 0x0611
  Revision ID: 0x00a2
  ROM Revision: 3233
  Displays:
L226W: <---- Standard 22" monitor (DVI)
  Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Oh and when I am using the 720p resolution the output is 16-bit color depth... wow this looks like {censored} when it isn't 32bit color.

when using 1080i its 32bit color, and when in ML using 1080p @ 30Hz its 32bit color too.

So you running it on a real mac pro and you asking on a hackintosh forum? :ph34r:

Btw maybe this is just a bug in the DP1, wait for DP2 (or DP3, DP4...) to see if anything changes.

To get the dock to appear on another display you need to do this:

1. Move mouse to second display, stop in about the middle

2. Move mouse down towards the bottom edge of the display.

3. Keep moving the mouse down, as if you are trying to drive the mouse off the bottom of the screen.

4. Dock should move.

I took me a bit to work it out, but now I can reliably get the dock to move from one display to another using this technique.

• Like 1

So you running it on a real mac pro and you asking on a hackintosh forum? :ph34r:

Btw maybe this is just a bug in the DP1, wait for DP2 (or DP3, DP4...) to see if anything changes.

Correct. I started using a hack back in late 07 and bought the Mac Pro a few months later. I also have a MacBook Pro in addition to several other hacks. This is or at least was the best forum to seek for any modifications with osx.

To get the dock to appear on another display you need to do this:

1. Move mouse to second display, stop in about the middle

2. Move mouse down towards the bottom edge of the display.

3. Keep moving the mouse down, as if you are trying to drive the mouse off the bottom of the screen.

4. Dock should move.

I took me a bit to work it out, but now I can reliably get the dock to move from one display to another using this technique.

Thanks I'll have to try that method.

It would seem that 'T a D's method does seem to help in the reliability of the dock movement.

Now to figure out what is up with the tertiary display issues. (hoping just a DP1 issue)

I can do 1366x768@60Hz 32-bit color depth and is what I'm running it at for now.

Edit:

Seems that it was just too long of an HDMI run. (about 80 feet through 5 cables) One being 50ft by itself the rest are due to connections/passthrough wall.

I added a powered HDMI switch near the TV and now there is enough signal strength to make it all the way.

FWIW still seeing 720p in 16-bit color...