Hello, and what is my best option?

Aethelstan

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I have decided I need to run OSX alongside my windows install and I have a few options, although I don't know which are viable. My main desktop PC is an AMD Athlon X2 250 with 8GB of ram running on an Asus M5A78L-MLX v2 and a Radeon HD6670. I have tried to install iATKOS s3 on a VMware Workstation v9 virtual machine but it kept crashing. I also have an old Compaq Presario v5000 on which I have also tried to install iATKOS s3 but after instalation it kept telling me the pc had to reboot. I suppose my question is which option is the best one to persevere with? Idealy I would like access to Windows and OSX at the same time.

AMD is difficult , I have never gotten OSX to install on AMD.

Pent 4 for Snow leo  and earlier

Intel duo core  for ML and maverick

Kalway 5.2 was the easiest install from DVD on P4 

only ML or later will install on a duo core , without a lot of work

I think Hazards Snow leopard probably your best bet for AMD

load windows first then Mac ,easier to f8 boot to Mac boot then select windows

Redneck, Mountain Lion and Maverick will require a Core2Duo Intel CPU to run with the vanilla kernel.

Aethelstan, i have an Athlon II x2 250 running Mountain Lion (10.8.4) and i'm typing from it right now. But the system is very buggy on graphics site, so i wouldn't recommend it. The better OSX version for AMD machines is Lion, 10.7.5 - actually, it would run better then Windows 7. Your Compaq should be a little harder to setup, because laptops are always more troublesome, so invest your time on your desktop machine. Ask help here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285760-help-topic-further-help-in-chatosx86hulegacykernel-irc/

All the best!