Dell XPS 8000 Raid Problem

3 posts in this topic

Hi All,

..so my second Hack went a lot smoother than my first, managed to get my P55 based i7 860 Dell XPS 8000 running Mountain Lion.

The only problem I had was that the installer wouldn't recognise the drives so I had to use the ATAinjector kext which got me through the install.

BUT.. I still really fancy setting up a Raid array on this one.. any advise how I could get this to work in raid mode?

The bios only has two setting.. Raid and ATA (there's no AHCI)

Thanks

Chris

An on-board MB RAID most likely will not work under OS X. As for the most part, the MB RAID is software RAID, which is very different in nature then hardware RAID (such as PCI/PCI-E cards).

RAID option in BIOS doesn't mean you have to create a RAID volume. It could be a JBOD configuration. In many cases RAID option also enables AHCI.

Hi Chris,

why would you use a RAID based on your MoBo? If it is for reliability, I think Mac OS X RAID is more reliable ... let me explain:

Scenario 1) data or OS on Motherboard based RAID

Scenario 2) data or OS on Apple Mac OS X RAID

What happens if your Motherboard breaks?

In scenario 1), you cannot (probably) recover your data (it's a proprietary RAID) unless you can find an exact MoBo and it allows you to import RAID config from existing RAID (I have seen these feature only on servers and still would not rely on it). In scenario 2), you can simply attach your two drivers to any Mac or Hackintosh and voilà ... your data is there.

So a Mac RAID, even though limited to type 0 (for speed) or 1 (Mirror), are much more flexible in case of system failure than proprietary RAID.