Hello, this is a simple tutorial on how to install OS X Mountain Lion and/or OS X Mavericks on a Gateway FX 7026 using a USB/flashdrive.
1. Using a friends Mac, or using OS X in VMware, download myhack from the internet. Download the Mountain Lion.dmg or Mavericks.dmg file from the Mac App Store or anywhere you can get it that is safe trustworthy source. Using myhack is probably the easiest way and is pretty self explanatory.
2. Once you get Mountain Lion/Mavericks installed on your USB using myhack. You'll want to reboot and then go to your bios. In the bios you'll want to change a few options. Change your hard drives to AHCI, set the usb as first boot, and turn HPET 64-bit mode on. If your computer bios does not have an option to turn HPET 64-bit mode on but it has an option to turn on HPET, turn that on because its basically the same thing.
3. Save the changes you made in the bios and reboot with USB plugged in. You should see the Chameleon boot loader. From there you'll want to choose OS X. (If the computer does not boot to the USB first, you might need to manually boot to the USB by pressing either F2, F10, F12, DEL, etc. Options vary from computer to computer.) Booting to OS X may take a long time. It can take up to 15-20 minutes so be patient. Once your in the OS X installation process, just follow the install screen. When it gives you an option to choose the hard drive where you'll install OS X, you will see that there is no option to choose any of the hard drives. This is because your HD's (hard drives) are not formatted correctly for OS X. You'll want to click on the Utilities menu at the top of the screen and choose Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, you'll need to either partition or format the HD. Either way, you'll need to make sure the hard drive is formatted under Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Once your done with this, quit Disk Utility and then finish up the installation. When its done you will need to restart. But this time, instead of booting to the OS X installation, you'll need to boot to the new HD/partition OS X was just installed on. Once your booted into OS X, you'll need to finish up the install process such as choosing main language, setting up iCloud accounts, getting wifi working, etc.
4. When your all done with the install process, you'll see the home screen of OS X. But were not done yet, some users might face a problem where they cannot boot to OS X without using the USB installer they made. So try and see if yours works or not. Just reboot without the USB and see if OS X appears when you boot the computer without the USB. If it does not, then just plug the USB back in, boot to OS X using that, and then go on to step 5.
5. To get the boot loader installed so you can boot to OS X without the USB. You'll need to install a boot loader such as Chameleon or Clover. I recommend Chameleon for first time users because it is a easier to get working. What you'll need to do is go online and download the newest version of Chameleon and install it. Installing the Chameleon boot loader is not complicated. Once you download the Chameleon boot loader, it will download as a dmg file. Just double click the dmg file and follow the install steps. Self explanatory. Pretty simple, huh?
How to play 2.1 audio through all 5.1 speakers
Here's a solution I found to the problem I was having with playing MP3 files which only contain stereo audio through all of my speakers.
The original post is by barrylev and can be found here
Note that this method involves using a different media player, and therefore it doesn't work with iTunes or Songbird etc.
1. Download MPlayer Extended from here (click the Google Code link)
2. Install MPlayer Extended as a normal application
3. Run MPlayer
4. Go to MPlayer OSX > Preferences > Advanced
5. In the Additional Parameters box enter the following:
I'm sure there's a way to make it work with 7.1 too, when I figure it out I'll update this post
All credits to the original post by barrylev which can be found here