cmf

GTX 780

25 posts in this topic

quick how to:

or:

• install 10.9 ;)
  • install latest chameleon (svn trunk)
  • set "GraphicsEnabler" to "No" in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

note: if you're using an intel main board and can't even reach your bios or boot loader (just a "0_" in the lower right corner of your screen), you'll have to update your gtx 780 to a newer bios: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1944772 (I'm not sure that this will work on non-EVGA cards and I have no idea if other vendors have updated bios versions for their cards).

opencl is known not to work (driver issues, need to wait for newer drivers), cuda (5.0 and 5.5) does work however.
post-42821-0-65072200-1370079375_thumb.png

original post:

hello again ;)

so, my gtx 780 just arrived and of course I immediately checked if I could get it to work with os x.
as of right now this is sadly not the case :(

I tested this on both the latest 10.8.4 (with R310 drivers) and 10.8.3 (with R313 nvidia drivers), and in both cases I get the same problem: the login screen doesn't show up. the machine is still running (afp works, ssh probably too, haven't checked yet), but it's only showing the apple logo (the one right before the login screen).
I should also mention that the kernel log says that it could load and initialize the drivers and that 1080p resolution is working.

any ideas what else I could try? or did anyone else get it to work?

and yes, I used a patched chameleon bootloader. just add this line in nvidia.c:
{ 0x10DE1004, "GeForce GTX 780" },
also, concerning opencl for titan folks: could you test this please?
Edited by cmf

Advertisement

How to do a fresh install with a GTX 780? After a booting with -v GraphicsEnabler=No i wont see the installation screen.

Any suggestions?

tried it, same problem. After the preloading sequenzes of the kexts for installation, the system crashes (restarts). Did a BIOS-Update because of the new Graphicscard. Maybe it has somethings to do with this? I got a GA-Z77-DSH3. Cant find any faulty entries so far. But some new. :(

Get it to work. npci=0x3000 did the job and let me get to the installation screen. Then I did a clean installation with ub method + 10.8.3 on a Stick. After system installation I installed the new nvidia mac driver and added the nvda_drv=1 string to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. And voila.

LJANg5x.png

Get it to work. npci=0x3000 did the job and let me get to the installation screen. Then I did a clean installation with ub method + 10.8.3 on a Stick. After system installation I installed the new nvidia mac driver and added the nvda_drv=1 string to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. And voila.

hm, don't think npci actually matters. what's "ub method"? and which chameleon version/revision are you using?

I should try using macpro3,1 instead of 5,1 though ... were you using 5,1 before?

edit: still a nope for me, using npci=0x3000 and macpro3,1

edit2: using latest chameleon trunk source now, still the same issue ... which chameleon modules are you using btw?

edit3: alright, got it working when I set "GraphicsEnabler" to "No" :) opencl is however still broken (I'd assume this just isn't fully implemented in the drivers yet, especially considering the windows/linux drivers have a lot of opencl issues, too)

I have it semi-working* using another nvidia card as the primary card for now. chameleons secondary card detection sucks though ... will have to fix that when I got the time.

*semi-working: no opengl on the 780, opencl fails (context creation and device querying works fine, but it segfaults on command queue creation), cuda works however (hello 2 tflop/s nbody).

opencl info is pretty much identical to other kepler cards:

[Device 1]
Name: GeForce GTX 780
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Type: GPU
Device Version: OpenCL 1.1
Device C Version: OpenCL C 1.1
Driver Version: 8.14.11 313.01.01f03
Compute Units: 12
Work Group Size: 1024
Clock: 901 MHz
Global Memory: 3072 MB
Local Memory: 48 KB
Cache Size: 0 Bytes
Cache Line Size: 0 Bytes
Available: Yes
Double-Precision: No
Extensions (13):
 cl_APPLE_ContextLoggingFunctions
 cl_APPLE_SetMemObjectDestructor
 cl_APPLE_clut
 cl_APPLE_fp64_basic_ops
 cl_APPLE_gl_sharing
 cl_APPLE_query_kernel_names
 cl_khr_3d_image_writes
 cl_khr_byte_addressable_store
 cl_khr_gl_event
 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics
 cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics
 cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics
 cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics

DP2 has updated drivers that have improved performance significantly. I'm still not convinced everything is working 100% though. I got ~30fps in Cinebench in DP1, and now ~60 in DP2, but I don't have a baseline so I don't know if that's appropriate. Performance in WoW is subpar, and the game doesn't appear to use more than 1GB of graphics memory (it should use at least half of what the card has available). I'm not sure if that's a driver issue or the fact that the game isn't recognizing the card because the OS only recognizes the chipset and not the 780 specifically. FPS in game is 100+ on ultra if view distance is set pretty low (reducing memory usage) and you're not in a crowd, otherwise it's 20-40, a significant discrepancy from performance in Windows, even considering the standard difference in performance between gaming in windows and os x.

I had no luck getting the web drivers to load in either release though I haven't hacked on them at all. OS X shows the chipset instead of the name of my card, and while I've heard that's just cosmetic I wonder if that's the cause of poor performance in WoW (the game not identifying the card and throttling it's own graphics memory usage).

I've been trying to inject my own DSDT but not having much luck, having never done it before. I've sort of resigned myself to reading the ACPI spec since no one around here seems to have any good explanation of how the DSDT actually works beyond the generic explanations of where to patch and how to populate a few fields. I'm new to the hackintosh scene but I've got a background in reading (and applying) intel docs, so we'll see what I can do with a little time.

My other gear in case it's relevant: gigabyte z87mx-d3h, i7-4770k, 16gm ram

DP2 has updated drivers that have improved performance significantly. I'm still not convinced everything is working 100% though. I got ~30fps in Cinebench in DP1, and now ~60 in DP2, but I don't have a baseline so I don't know if that's appropriate. Performance in WoW is subpar, and the game doesn't appear to use more than 1GB of graphics memory (it should use at least half of what the card has available). I'm not sure if that's a driver issue or the fact that the game isn't recognizing the card because the OS only recognizes the chipset and not the 780 specifically. FPS in game is 100+ on ultra if view distance is set pretty low (reducing memory usage) and you're not in a crowd, otherwise it's 20-40, a significant discrepancy from performance in Windows, even considering the standard difference in performance between gaming in windows and os x.

I had no luck getting the web drivers to load in either release though I haven't hacked on them at all. OS X shows the chipset instead of the name of my card, and while I've heard that's just cosmetic I wonder if that's the cause of poor performance in WoW (the game not identifying the card and throttling it's own graphics memory usage).

I've been trying to inject my own DSDT but not having much luck, having never done it before. I've sort of resigned myself to reading the ACPI spec since no one around here seems to have any good explanation of how the DSDT actually works beyond the generic explanations of where to patch and how to populate a few fields. I'm new to the hackintosh scene but I've got a background in reading (and applying) intel docs, so we'll see what I can do with a little time.

thanks for the update mate! lets hope we can have a solution soon. it really hurts bad to see a big bulk of hard earned cash not being able to be utilized the way it should be. Windows work like charm, and i have no problems playing bioshock infinite at ultra high setting with vsync on, and still very smooth. heaven benchmark shows all the bump maps and displacements in the texture, while on OSx side, we have a sad sad party. 

even if there was a way to somehow enable OpenCL that could have been awesome, to disable that >2gb check, but seems like the general workarounds won't work. i tried replacing the opencl file with some file i found here, and my system couldnt even function. very disappointing indeed.

what other ideas do we have about it?

btw, what DP2 drivers are we talking about here? for GTX 780?

The OS NVDA drivers received a minor update from DP1 to DP2. So if you look in Info.plist of NVDAResman and NVDAGK100Hal... DP1 used 310.40.05b03, DP2 uses 310.40.05b06. I tried WoW again last night and even in scenarios where I'm getting 120+fps I still experience a noticable and constant stutter in camera movement.

I haven't attempted to modify web drivers to load in 10.9. 10.9 APIs have changed, so it's going to take significantly more than just editing a plist or swapping a few bytes in the binary. I might take a look tonight or tomorrow if I have time... but not having much experience with Objective-C reversing (or Objective C internals at all) it could take me a week or two to get well enough up to speed to attempt modifying the kexts in order to get them to load. It's going to require redefining a number of classes in the binary at which point even more problems may present themselves.

Edit: Don't the 10.8.4 official drivers support the 780? What's the version number on them? It might be easier to modify the official drivers in 10.9...

The OS NVDA drivers received a minor update from DP1 to DP2. So if you look in Info.plist of NVDAResman and NVDAGK100Hal... DP1 used 310.40.05b03, DP2 uses 310.40.05b06. I tried WoW again last night and even in scenarios where I'm getting 120+fps I still experience a noticable and constant stutter in camera movement.

I haven't attempted to modify web drivers to load in 10.9. 10.9 APIs have changed, so it's going to take significantly more than just editing a plist or swapping a few bytes in the binary. I might take a look tonight or tomorrow if I have time... but not having much experience with Objective-C reversing (or Objective C internals at all) it could take me a week or two to get well enough up to speed to attempt modifying the kexts in order to get them to load. It's going to require redefining a number of classes in the binary at which point even more problems may present themselves.

Edit: Don't the 10.8.4 official drivers support the 780? What's the version number on them? It might be easier to modify the official drivers in 10.9...

the drivers are not supported, not sure, cos in terms of cosmetics, the card is greyed out and OSX drivers are selected by default on each boot. i tried to fix it by adding kernel flag nvda_drv=1. it also shows up in system profiler, but doesnt even pass all the basic opengl tests beyond version 3.2 , the version of drivers i am taking about is the 313.01.02f01, and it says up to date 

the drivers are not supported, not sure, cos in terms of cosmetics, the card is greyed out and OSX drivers are selected by default on each boot. i tried to fix it by adding kernel flag nvda_drv=1. it also shows up in system profiler, but doesnt even pass all the basic opengl tests beyond version 3.2 , the version of drivers i am taking about is the 313.01.02f01, and it says up to date 

Are you running 10.9 or 10.8.4? 313.01.02f01 won't link with the 10.9 kernel. You can try to load them manually and see the linking errors in /var/log/system.log. APIs were changed, symbols were changed... it's going to require potentially serious reverse engineering and binary rewriting so I'm more interested in getting the stock drivers to recognize it properly. The stock 10.8.4 drivers are supposed to work with the 780, so I'm confused as to why I can't get the stock 10.9 drivers to recognize it properly.

ha, I didn't think that apple would actually bother back porting gtx 780 code to R310 drivers. I'll still wait for the DP3/DP2 update next monday before testing 10.9 on my workstation though.
and yeah, nvidias 10.8.4 drivers obviously won't work in 10.9 (they don't even work across 10.8.x versions).

so, hoping/waiting for R313 drivers in DP3 (although there are chances we might get a 310.40.00.10 driver first, since there is a library for that one contained in the CUDA framework ...)

also: updating first post with info for intel mainboards ...

Are you running 10.9 or 10.8.4? 313.01.02f01 won't link with the 10.9 kernel. You can try to load them manually and see the linking errors in /var/log/system.log. APIs were changed, symbols were changed... it's going to require potentially serious reverse engineering and binary rewriting so I'm more interested in getting the stock drivers to recognize it properly. The stock 10.8.4 drivers are supposed to work with the 780, so I'm confused as to why I can't get the stock 10.9 drivers to recognize it properly.

i am running 10.8.4 atm. yes stock drivers support it, but not really enough to harness what  u paid for that kind of a graphic card. its not better than 660 for that matter in terms of performance as per the compatibility. 

ha, I didn't think that apple would actually bother back porting gtx 780 code to R310 drivers. I'll still wait for the DP3/DP2 update next monday before testing 10.9 on my workstation though.

and yeah, nvidias 10.8.4 drivers obviously won't work in 10.9 (they don't even work across 10.8.x versions).

so, hoping/waiting for R313 drivers in DP3 (although there are chances we might get a 310.40.00.10 driver first, since there is a library for that one contained in the CUDA framework ...)

also: updating first post with info for intel mainboards ...

thats a mixed bag of oohs and aahs. if they do support it in the next upgrade, will be an awesome thing for everyone moving up to 7XX series. but like you said they wont even work on across 10.8.x and i can confirm that. the web drivers available for 10.8.3 weren't compatible with 10.8.4. had to wait long until the new update came up. seems like nvidia is not quite interested in the mac side yet for 7XX support. OSX support for 7XX is just nominal at best :(

Hi,

Was wondering is it necessary 100% to upgrade to Chameleon 2.2 2254 svn for your gtx 780 to work properly?? 

Reason I ask is because I'm on 2.1 svn 2064 and this version allows Mt Lion to load with Intel Raid enabled in Bios on my Asus Z68 Deluxe. Otherwise what happens is unless its set to "AHCI" mode it will not startup and crashes upon "Sata device warning: Checksum incorrect" and "Waiting for root device". Where as I have no problems starting up with version 2.1-2064.

Thanks.

@hackimacki: still R310 in dp3 (310.40.05b06), still glitches and general problems even on my mbp, so nope.

@davidm71: I'm not sure actually, since you don't need the GraphicsEnabler any more, but you might need a newer chameleon version for "nvda_drv" support.

quick update: dp4 still has R310 drivers, but with a slightly updated version (310.40.05b18). and the apple version changed to 8.18.12 (from 8.16.* before).

I've also installed dp4 on my workstation now and the gtx 780 does indeed work in dp4, including opencl support! there might be a few graphical glitches in some apps, but no crashes or kernel panic so far :)
note that the gtx 780 is recognized as "NVIDIA GK11x" (and "Pre-Release GK11x OpenGL Engine")  by os x, but this shouldn't be much of an issue.
also note: I couldn't get the dp1 installer to work (hangs after windowserver started up), so I'd recommend copying an dp4 image from another mac or installing with another graphics card for now.

Hi there,

On my side, with nvidia web driver, it detects GTX 780 not GK11x (10.8.5).

I'm having some issues on some applications with this graphic card :

• ARD Server Crash
  • Opengl extensions viewer Crash
  • Luxmark 2.0 Crash

Are you able to run that apps properly ?

If yes, then have you an idea of what might be wrong ?