Dell 490 SL Install Problems - no Mac available

1 post in this topic

Hardware:

System: Dell Precision 490, single processor

Processor: Xeon Woodcrest 5130

Memory:2 GB RAM (2x1)

Disk: ST380013AS

BIOS: AHCI enabled

Video: Sapphire HD 5450 1GB DDR3 (using the DVI output)

K/M: both USB

Network: onboard for now but will buy a Sonnet Gigabyte card if needed

I'm a Windows guy with many years of complex workstations and servers, but near zippo on Macs. I'm trying to build a "hack" so that I can document the install and use of various Mac FTP software to send files to a Windows 2008R2 server. Then I'll likely have no further use for it - thus my desire to have a "Mac For a Day".

This hardware worked perfectly with Windows 7 Professional - both 32 and 64 bit. I then used GPARTED and deleted the partitions and then set the entire drive to HPF+. Then I'm booting with the Darwin/X86 created from the 490.zip that I previously downloaded and extracted. It shows as Darwin/X86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC3; PCEFI-10.5 BootCDMaker Build date: 2009-10-21 22:45:35 2045 Memory.

I can erase the disk and it shows as GUID Partition Table. Using a Snow Leopard 10.6.3 it starts installing and it runs for many minutes until it shows 29 minutes remaining. The completion bar is at the right side of the left X. The DVD drive has a access, there is some disk activity and then it just blows out to a reboot. Then obviously it just hangs.

So - any idea where it's at this stage of the install? And more importantly what's my best course of action given that I don't have access to a Mac? I do have lots of other hard drives of various sizes and a few other video cards.