Gigabyte serie 7 y Snow Leopard

14 posts in this topic

Hola a todos

Recurro a ustedes porque necesito sus recomendaciones ya que mi busqueda fue infructuosa

Necesito armar un hack para correr Snow Leopard, Pro Tools 9 y la Digi002

Hasta aca todo bien, se que necesito usar procesadores Sandy Bridge, mas exactamente seria un i7 2600S pero para usar este procesador necesito un motherboar con socket LGA1155

Estaba pensando alguno de Gigabyte de la serie 7, por supuesto que de los motherboards recomendados, pero no encontre informacion alguna que un Motherboard serie 7 y Snow Leopard se llevaran bien

Viendo que no consegui informacion al respecto decidi buscar por un motherboard serie 6 de la linea z68, encontre unos cuantos compatibles y muy nativos que solo necesitan un minimo de configuracion, pero en mi pais los gigabyte serie 6 ya no se consiguen

Aqui es donde les pregunto, ¿alguien tiene una buena experiencia usando un motherboard gigabyte serie 7 con Snow Leopard?, el que consigo aca en mi pais es el Ga-z77-ds3h

de Gigabyte y esta entre los recomendados, pero no se si lo podre usar con Snow Leopard

Espero sus repestas y gracias

Que tengan un buen dia

[1] LGA 1155 chipsets (P55 for example) and Core i5 processors are only supported by the vanilla kernel on OS X 10.6.2+.

“Sandy Bridge” intel processors are only supported by the vanilla kernel on OS X 10.6.8+ and work better in Lion and Mountain Lion.

LGA2011 chipsets with “Sandy Bridge-E” processors are only supported by the vanilla kernel on OS X 10.7.3+.

La placa creio que no tiene problemas com SNOW, lo que tienes que ver es el processador si soporta el Vanilla kernel, sandy bridge soporta solamente 10.6.2 +,

LGA2011 chipsets with “Sandy Bridge-E” Bridge 10.7.3 +

LGA2011 chipsets with “Sandy Bridge-E” processors are only supported by the vanilla kernel on OS X 10.7.3+.

And 10.6.8. Check out the "Pro Hac" build in my sig. Though no OS X version yet really supports them. Hence the need for NullCPUPM.

As Java Lava needs to stay with Snow Leopard a 7-series board is out of the question. Sandy is as high as he can go. Having started with a Gigabyte board years ago I now have two Asus boards and they were pretty straightforward to hackintosh. The P8Z68V should run Snow fine.

• Like 1

And 10.6.8. Check out the "Pro Hac" build in my sig. Though no OS X version yet really supports them. Hence the need for NullCPUPM.

As Java Lava needs to stay with Snow Leopard a 7-series board is out of the question. Sandy is as high as he can go. Having started with a Gigabyte board years ago I now have two Asus boards and they were pretty straightforward to hackintosh. The P8Z68V should run Snow fine.

LGA 2011 is supported in the kernel of Snow Leopard.

this config is ok ? forme is ok, but need patched kernel for install or 10.6.3 Retail , then update for 10.6.8 and you have support vanilla kernel, I have sockett 1155 and remember that for install SNOW in the first time I have much problems if not use patched kernel don`t install.

Sandy Bridge, mas exactamente seria un

i7 2600S

pero para usar este procesador necesito un motherboar con

socket LGA1155

It's running fine. I used a modified (model lock removed) 10.6.7 Sandy MacBook Pro install disc so that would have made the installation easier for me. Snow uses the same hacks as Lion or ML (NullCPUPM, SleepEnabler and VoodooTSCSync).

I don't know if Java Lava would want to go the SB-E route, but it's an option. Regular SB is better supported and won't require NullCPUPM so power management and Turbo will work. Maybe something like the P8Z68 paired with an i7. Gigabyte have the name for compatibility but I haven't found Asus boards to be any more difficult to work with. Once you know the kexts required for the hardware and can edit the DSDT it's all fairly straightforward.

I haven't tried running Snow on my Z68 so I'm assuming it will work fine. The one thing that is kinda sketchy on these boards is the built-in bluetooth. Even in ML it doesn't seem to work all that well when I try to pair my phone. It might work ok for keyboard or mouse but I have no use for BT here so I just disabled it on the P9X79.

It's running fine. I used a modified (model lock removed) 10.6.7 Sandy MacBook Pro install disc so that would have made the installation easier for me. Snow uses the same hacks as Lion or ML (NullCPUPM, SleepEnabler and VoodooTSCSync).

I don't know if Java Lava would want to go the SB-E route, but it's an option. Regular SB is better supported and won't require NullCPUPM so power management and Turbo will work. Maybe something like the P8Z68 paired with an i7. Gigabyte have the name for compatibility but I haven't found Asus boards to be any more difficult to work with. Once you know the kexts required for the hardware and can edit the DSDT it's all fairly straightforward.

I haven't tried running Snow on my Z68 so I'm assuming it will work fine. The one thing that is kinda sketchy on these boards is the built-in bluetooth. Even in ML it doesn't seem to work all that well when I try to pair my phone. It might work ok for keyboard or mouse but I have no use for BT here so I just disabled it on the P9X79.

6 core LGA 2011 has limited Speed Step when using EPU in the BIOS. Also you can just set a fixed multiplier to what turbo is.

this config is ok ? forme is ok, but need patched kernel for install or 10.6.3 Retail , then update for 10.6.8 and you have support vanilla kernel, I have sockett 1155 and remember that for install SNOW in the first time I have much problems if not use patched kernel don`t install.

Sandy Bridge, mas exactamente seria un

i7 2600S

pero para usar este procesador necesito un motherboar con

socket LGA1155

Worked fine for me when I tried early last year. i have 3 users that use SL full time on there SB-E system.

6 core LGA 2011 has limited Speed Step when using EPU in the BIOS. Also you can just set a fixed multiplier to what turbo is.

True. With C1E enabled in the BIOS the CPU idles at 1.2GHz and clocks up to 3.2 when needed. That's good enough for me. In time if I feel the need for more speed I'll bump up the multiplier, but even at stock speeds it barely breaks a sweat.

Please guys, can a global moderator move this topic to some English section? Or please, keep the current thread in Spanish languaje, because the opening post was wrote for help in that languaje. Thanks.

THANK YOU FABIO!

Edited by juanerson

Thank you all for your responses. Finally I chose go for a Asus P8Z68 with an i7 2600 processor. I do not need upgrade to 10.6.8 because the Pro Tools that I use is version 8, so I think would be fine stay me in 10.6.3 using a retail installation DVD, is that correct?, summarizing would use

Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3

i7 2600 Sandy Bridge

10.6.3 Retail

How could work the configuration?

I don't think you'll be able to run 10.6.3 on it. The Sandy Macs used a special build of 10.6.6 so support may be incomplete or non-existant in 10.6.3. I think the boot disks that people are using to install Snow on Sandy boards use a 10.6.7 or higher kernel which allows using a 10.6.3 disc (as it was the last retail version) for installation. You would then have to install at least the 10.6.7 combo update to be able to boot into that system.

As for that board everything works here (in 10.8.3) and should also work fine in 10.6 (if I can run Snow on a X79 then surely it can run on a Z68). I patched the BIOS using PMPatch and have a custom DSDT. There's a thread here that could be helpful.

• Like 1