[Solved]10.7.3 w/ 8800 GT - No qe/ci

jamiethemorris

24 posts in this topic

I'm not sure why this isn't working, because I was under the impression that this card worked oob. Here's what's going on...

My friend gave me a Dell XPS720 today, so naturally I immediately decided to hackintosh it. It's mostly working except for the graphics. It's the older G92 512mb model. I'm not sure what else to try because I've tried all that I know how to do. Here's what I've tried so far:

-GraphicsEnabler=Yes obviously... No qe/ci.

-Putting device ID into NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, and NVDAGF100Hal.kext - device ID shows in system profiler, but there is still no qe/ci or correct resolution.

-Nvenabler, Nvenabler64, and Nvinject - kernel panic with any of these kexts.

-EFI string using EFI studio - no difference, no qe/ci.

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions? I may just get a different card if I can find one cheap enough. Since I kind of want hdmi anyway.

EDIT: I don't know if this matters, but system information says "this computer doesn't contain any PCI cards."

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I was afraid to update since this isn't really a known compatible pc. BTW, this computer is ridiculous The huge aluminum case makes it look like a beast even though it's really not that powerful. And for some reason it has a 1000w power supply :blink:

It is good to see an nForce 680i (with C55XE Northbridge and MCP55PXE Southbridge chipset) MOBO still being used as a OSx86 hack.

It was designed as a desktop gaming computer by Dell, so the large case was meant to look powerful and the 1000W PSU to cope with the power demands of a gaming PC......

I will paste an EFI string for you to try in a little while.....see my nForce OS X Lion Retail Install Guide....... :)

It is good to see a nForce 680i (with C55XE Northbridge and MCP55PXE Southbridge chipset) MOBO still being used as a OSx86 hack. I will paste an EFI string for you to try in a little while.....see my nForce OS X Lion Retail Install Guide....... :)

That thread was incredibly helpful, that's what I did the install with. Thanks so much for that guide. I see you're using a nforce with 667mhz ram but mine is clocked at 800. Did it just automatically OC yours? I need to upgrade the ram since this thing only has 3 gigs.

OK, the 10.7.5 update screwed up my graphics drivers, it rebooted to a black screen. I looked in the 10.7.5 Nvidia driver with pacifist and I deleted those kexts out of s/l/e. Then I rebooted and I had video again but of course no qe/ci. I installed the nvidia drivers, rebooted, and got a black screen again. Also, I don't know if this is normal or not, but the 10.7.5 update had a bunch of "couldn't replace kext" errors or something like that in the console.

Which port graphics card port are you currently using to connect to your display? Swap to another another port on the card if possible.....

I have a G92 512MB GeForce 9800 GT that is using NVEnabler 64.kext in /S/L/E running 10.7.5 on my nForce 650i MOBO with a Quad Core Q6600 OC'd to 3.0 GHz 6GB of 667 MHz DDR2 RAM manually OC'd to 800 MHz.....

I use a DSDT with a GFX0 patch to drive it in 10.8.3..........I use NVEnabler 64.kext in /S/L/E to drive it in 10.8.2.......I use a EFI Graphics string or GraphicsEnabler = Yes to drive it in 10.6.3, 10.6.5, 10.6.8.......I use NVEnabler 0.1.kext to drive it in 10.5.8......

Here are two 8800 GT 512 MB EFI graphics strings (from the .hex files) to put in

<key>device-properties</key>

<string></string>

GeForce 8800GT 512MB.zip

So I tried both of those EFI strings and reinstalled the 295.00.0 Nvidia drivers, and I got a black screen both times. I also tried both ports on the card. Perhaps it's not recognizing the PCI slot correctly?

Also I don't know how much it matters but I don't have a property edited DSDT yet. I just extracted it with DSDTSE, fixed the errors, and compiled it. So maybe it's not recognizing it because of that.

I would just get a cheap graphics card that it's compatible but I'm concerned that it's something about the motherboard that would keep any card from being detected properly.

EDIT: I just tried my 6850 in this computer and it's recognized natively. So it's detecting the PCI slots correctly. I also put the 8800GT in my other computer, and it recognized it correctly OOB with full qe/ci. Weird. Maybe it's time to try Mountain Lion?

I just tried the Mountain Lion USB Drive I used for my other computer. I get the same black screen when I try to get to the installer. So obviously this is more of an issue with my mobo, but I still don't get why the 6850 worked fine and this card doesn't. This doesn't make any sense.

OK for information on the DSDT see the FAQ topic by iLeopod here.....note that he too says that a DSDT should not be required to boot OS X but you may need to use a DSDT.aml file for your graphics....

You can also extract your original DSDT.aml file off the PC using the Ubuntu Live DVD, plug in a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive and then go to the Terminal and type either

cd /media/"Volume name of the USB flash drive"

sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > DSDT.aml

for Ubuntu 11.xx and later, or

cd /media/"Volume name of the USB flash drive"

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > DSDT.aml

for Ubuntu 10.xx or earlier

In either case, the extracted DSDT.aml file should have been saved on the USB flash drive, for later decompiling, patching and recompiling using iasl or iasl based tools.

Run IORegistryExplorer (Google is your friend) and use "Save a Copy As" to save your IOReg output as a "Username"Mac Pro.ioreg file, then send me a download link for this file and for your extracted DSDT.aml file....

Please resend link for ioreg as the first file is corrupted.

Please resend link for ioreg as the first file is corrupted.

Sorry about that. I think it may have been how saved it. I had to add the file extension because it didn't do it automatically. Does that sound right?

No. You need to use the IOReg function "Save as a Copy......"

No. You need to use the IOReg function "Save as a Copy......"

Yeah that's what I did. I did a quick search though and I just found out that the version I used is known to produce corrupt files. I'll use the one in dsdte as soon as I get to my computer.

Edit: This one should work, I tested it and it opens up. http://d-h.st/3pG

Yep......it does......I can crack on now......try this DSDT.aml in /

Patched RTC TMR PIC DTGP GFX0.zip

If still no joy, let me have the extracted rom from the graphics card using GPU-Z for example......

That did the trick! Thank you, It's working flawlessly now. Can you try your best to explain to me what you did? I tried looking into doing DSDT edits myself, and I understand it for the most part, but not good enough that I could figure out how to do it myself. Also, any idea why this didn't work OOB?

I used IOReg output to find what DSDT Device section is associated with your display and then inserted the Device (GFX0) patch just before the end of the identified Device section.............details of the RTC TMR PIC DTGP and GFX0 patches can be found in IM......I did not patch your DSDT for audio (HDEF) and OS X power management (LPCB).............for this you would need to supply the lspci -nn output.......

• Like 1

I have patched it for OS X power management (LPCB) and fixed your HPET for OS X power management (I hope)

As for audio (HDEF) as it does not currently have an audio section.........there is no Name (_ADR, 0x000F0001) line in your DSDT to match the lspci output line:

00:0f.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio [10de:0371] (rev a2)

so I have put Device (HDEF) inside Device (PCI0) where pci10de,371 resides......

assuming your built-in audio is the SIGMATEL STAC-927X......using VoodooHDA.......

Patched RTC TMR PIC DTGP GFX0 HPET LPCB HDEF.zip

I have not done anything much with your HPET section except fix it for OS X use until you see if OS X power management works with your current HPET section......follow my guide for setting it up......at your own risk......

Patched RTC TMR PIC DTGP GFX0 HPET LPCB.zip

Ok so I tried the first one, deleted NCPM and installed LPC_injector.kext. It seems to be working, but only at 2 frequencies, 1.6 ghz and 2.4 ghz. Is that normal for this processor?

Audio did not work after removing VoodooHDA and HDADisabler, I manually loaded AppleHDA and nothing showed in System Profiler or System Prefs. I tried rebooting but I got a PWOD, after removing AppleHDA it was fine. I don't know if the audio is sigmatel or not. How do I tell? I googled the couldn't built-in audio but I'm not finding anything about what codec it is.

What is your CPU model? Have you enabled Generate P and C states in your Boot.plist?

My Q6600 (Kentsfield) is OC'd to 3.0 GHz and has four speedsteps of 1998, 2331, 2664 and 2997 MHz. When I use IOReg to check ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin, the RHS window shows that PerformanceStateArray contains 4 values.

My Q6600 is the G0 (SLACR) version.........the earlier Q6600 CPU version is the B3 (SL9UM).......http://ark.intel.com/products/29765

I have seen other Q6600 CPUs reported as having only 2 P states: 2400 and 1600 MHz..........perhaps they are the B3 revision?

For audio see http://www.dell.com/...Product/xps-720 and http://www.dell.com/...Product/xps-720