iPad Retina Display Hack for Your Desktop!

Mr.D.

6 posts in this topic

The Retina displays are pretty sweet. I found this blog by a guy who has converted an iPad Retina Display for use on his desktop computer. All told it cost him around $70. Not a bad price for that display. Check out his work here. If anybody ever does this from here I would be very interested to see the results!

• Like 3

Oh....that is cool.

I've often thought it'd be great to add a nice touch display to a PC case mod (or a G5 - need to check the dimensions!) even went as far as getting one of those resistive overlays and having a play [but it was a bit {censored}!].

The iPad screen though would be brilliant.

sadly, the touchscreen capabilities are not supported on this hack - there is some discussion in the blog about the touchscreen, but the gist of it is that it's much harder then the display part. There is always the overlay option but that seems kinda ghetto on such a nice screen.

• 1 month later...

Okay,

I am going to do this conversion. I have just ordered one of the converter kits from the Czech republic and a replacement retina display so will be a guinea pig for that. I shall be putting the screen into an Apple 15" Studio Monitor (or that is the plan.....). Should make a nice companion for my Cube project or as an extension screen for my G5 in the workshop.

• Like 1

Change of plan - the Apple 15" display is too nice to butcher (and the iPad retina display will look a bit small inside it anyway). So now plan is to design and make my own mini studio display case to house the retina display and to see if I can do a cable convert to use the 15" Apple display with HDMI (and an external small psu brick).

The 15" display will be the big brother to the iPad display!

All parts except the adapter board are with me, so I should be able to test functions as soon as adapter board gets here, when it does I'll start a separate thread.

• Like 2