Computer won't shut down completely

34 posts in this topic

I've never heard of anything like this happening before, but my computer starting freezing on shutdown. What's weird is that it completely leaves the os before it happens. The white apple screen disappears and the displays turn off. Normally this is about a split second before it would shut off completely, but instead it just sits there, still running. When I turn it back on, everything is fine and it doesn't give me any "you shut down your computer because of a problem" messages or anything like that. It only happens occasionally. I don't think it happens with windows or Ubuntu but I don't use them enough.

What gives? This is really strange.

Edit: I'm using gigabytes uefi beta and clover bootloader BTW.

I have the same problem, screen does not wake up from sleep also. In 10.8.3 Apple changed something in the SMC kexts/?, did not have those problems before.

This is the only information i have found so far, no fix for it as far as i know, sorry.

I'd be willing to bet chameleon won't have this issue. Integrating the os with the uefi like clover does adds another host of problems I feel like. I also haven't updated clover since upgrading to 10.8.3 because it's probably going to be a PITA with my fusion drive. So maybe that would help too.

I'll bet Chameleon will have this issue, i would like a Big Mac, what do you say?

My Clover is up to date, so updating it will not make a change.

As i said before, in my opinion, it is because of the changes Apple made.

I'll bet Chameleon will have this issue, i would like a Big Mac, what do you say?

My Clover is up to date, so updating it will not make a change.

As i said before, in my opinion, it is because of the changes Apple made.

OK, good to know that you're still having they issue with the latest clover. I agree that it's definitely the changes apple made. I was just thinking that since clover is a true uefi bootloader that some instruction the os is giving is accidentally finding it's way to uefi. Where as chameleon is booted as a legacy os and isn't as integrated with the uefi.

So I guess I should have said "I speculate" as I'm not actually willing to make a bet. I'm not going to pretend I actually understand how most of this works.

I actually still have chameleon installed but it doesn't point to the right hard drive for some reason... I just have to figure that out and then I'll test it and let you know my results.

How often is it happening for you? For new it's probably like every 3-4 shut downs.

• Like 1

I really wanted that Big Mac you know :P

It happens on every shutdown for me, i have to wait till OS X shuts down, and keep the power button pressed after that.

Tap F12 when booting, you should be able to select your other HDD, which hopefully has Chameleon installed, be sure to enable legacy boot in bios. Don't know anything about your setup, so just guessing.

It's 3am here, so i really have to go to bed, will boot chameleon tomorrow, but as far as i can remember, with 10.8.3, it will not differ from clover. Ah well, we'll see tomorrow.

Hope i helped out a bit.

Good night.

Forgive me, I haven't done too much DSDT editing, but I'm not sure how to make the change. It did some research (I already did prior to posting, but for some reason didn't find anything). There was a few other people with the same issue and it appears this is the same fix. The fix mentioned is this:

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
{
 If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05)) {}
 Else
 {
	 ... original codes...
 }
}

Here is that section in my unmodified DSDT:

{
 Store (Zero, P80D)
 P8XH (Zero, Arg0)
 PTS (Arg0)
 If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03))
 {
	 If (LAnd (DTSE, LGreater (TCNT, One)))
	 {
		 TRAP (TRTD, 0x1E)
	 }
 }

Just to clarify, all I need to do is replace 0x03 with 0x05 right? Leave everything else alone?

... Just to clarify, all I need to do is replace 0x03 with 0x05 right? Leave everything else alone?

Hi, you need to place all of your code in _PTS into the place of "... original code ...", from "Store (Zero, P80D)" to the last "}" in your code block above.

I got the same problem apparently. It happens in approximately 1 out of 10 times and I need to shut down manually after ML's phony shutdown. I also noticed that the Num LED will flash if I press any keyboard button in this state.

This shutdown patch did not solve the issue for me. As far as I understand it is aimed for PCs that cannot shutdown properly at all.

EDIT:

I'm actually glad you opened this thread. Hopefully this problem will be solved somewhen.

Edited by k3nny

i have this problem too! isn't too bad but is always a bug...

don't you think i't would be great a pinned post with all the known issues of every os release and update, it could save us a lot of time!!

as far as i understood there are two "big" problems in 10.8.3 for almost everyone:

No backlit after sleep

No power off on shutdown

don't you think i't would be great a pinned post with all the known issues of every os release and update, it could save us a lot of time!!

Perhaps, but it takes a lot of time and effort to maintain it

Every version of OS X brings tons of errors for the x86 scene. To pin the known issues, we would have 14 pages of pinned topics, people needing different information, need to go through it.

We prefer encourage to learn and to understand. We have the search feature who's a pretty good tool. For most problems, there is an answer, and if not, you can open a topic for your problem.

;)

• Like 3

FWIW, I'm also having MIDIserver crashes occasionally on boot and occasional sound glitches in Logic if I set the buffer below 512. Probably not related but I know that several things with audio changed in 10.8.3. I have a lot of audio interfaces and MIDI devices plugged in though. Just thought I'd mention it.

Just to narrow this down a bit, what kexts are you using? I'm using pxhcd, a patched 10.8.2 applehda + hdaenabler, lnx2mac's Ethernet kext, and ncpm. Also kozlek's fakesmc

Patched AppleHDA, recent FakeSMC from kozlek and RTL8111 by Mieze. Also recent Clover UEFI and an iMac13,2 SMBIOS.

Did you have any success with your DSDT patch yet?

Patched AppleHDA, recent FakeSMC from kozlek and RTL8111 by Mieze. Also recent Clover UEFI and an iMac13,2 SMBIOS.

Did you have any success with your DSDT patch yet?

Sorry, I haven't had time to try it, I ended up staying late at school. I'll give it a go when I get home tomorrow.

I also stumbled across a common issue in 10.8.2 and 3 on real macs where launchd stalls shutdown. I did it yesterday and it fixed the slow shutdown on my mbp so I figured I might as well try it on my hack... Interesting enough it didn't have our with shutdown issue after turning it off 3 times on a row. I doubt that fixed it though. Anyway I'll do the dsdt patch tomorrow and let you know my results.

I got an error while compiling... It says

/Users/jamiethemorris/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 11742: [*** iASL: Read error on source code temp file /Users/jamiethemorris/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.src ***]
Error    4096 -											   syntax error, unexpected $end ^
ASL Input:  /Users/jamiethemorris/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 11743 lines, 366407 bytes, 4723 keywords
Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

Here is my patch:

{
    If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05)) {}
	 Else
	 {
			 Store (Zero, P80D)
	  P8XH (Zero, Arg0)
	  PTS (Arg0)
	  If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03))
	 {
			 If (LAnd (DTSE, LGreater (TCNT, One)))
			 {
					 TRAP (TRTD, 0x1E)
	    }
    }

It's a very vague error so I'm not really sure what to do.