JaS OSX wont boot/reboot

ivhon

6 posts in this topic

I hava a problem for a week now and I just cant find the solution :\

My PC:

AMD64 3400+

Nvidia 6600GT

1GB ram

So here's the problem: I have Windows XP and I've done exsactly as said in How to Dual-Boot Windows XP & Mac OS X video ... and my last step is instaling the JaS OS X 10.4.7 ... yes I check amd patches etc. ... and when the installation has finished is sas that the system has to reboot .. so I click REBOOT ...then this circle shoes up and it's spinnig ... and it never stops spinnig (I waitetd for 30 min. an still it was spinnig :)) anway I tried rebooting it manualy but then when I try to boot the system NTFS error :\ ...

so please help me out ... any suggestions

Try booting the installation DVD and run the Disc Utillity.

Do a repair on the disc, and see what the error it.

My hackintosh fell over yesterday with the famous "Invalid Node Structure" fault.

Looks like it is a bit of a common fault.

Maybe has something to do with 10.4.7.

My HP notebook has had 10.4.6 on it for about 6 months without a fault.

My desktop had only been built a few weeks ago.

Jamie

My hackintosh fell over yesterday with the famous "Invalid Node Structure" fault.

Looks like it is a bit of a common fault.

Maybe has something to do with 10.4.7.

Has nothing to do with 10.4.7.

The OS keeps an index of all the files on your hard drive so it can find them. It is updating this index all the time because files are being written all the time - cache files, log files, journaling files, swap files. At any time a stray electron can come in from static electricity, a spike in power, a defect in a chip, etc. This electron can cause the index software to write a 1 where a 0 should be or vice versa. So the index has a corruption. Eventually, the OS tries to write a file and discovers something else is already supposed to be there. That is when you need to repair your disk. You should really do it on a regular basis - weekly or monthly at least.

Anyway, the faulty index is your "Invalid Node Structure"

"stray electrons" would destroy ANY filesystem if they caused issues like that consistantly. the only way you're going to see index corruption is if there is a bug in the driver for the hardware, or if the drive was unmounted improperly (hard reset) before a sync operation could write cached indexes to disk.

there is no way everyone who has this problem all have defective hardware / power spikes / static electricity issues. computers dont flip bits on a whim like that.