Lion 10.7.2 GeForce GT520

BackSheep

14 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble getting my GT520 to work properly, or as I'd expect it to work at least.

I use two monitors, one in the HDMI port and one in the VGA port, so would like to keep these working at least.

To enable the use of two monitors I had to set GraphicsEnabler=No, which means OpenCL isn't enabled. So I tried using ##### to install OpenCL support, which enables GraphicsEnabler. Unfortunately OpenCL still wasn't enabled, but I couldn't use two monitors either - for some reason the VGA was always cancelled out when I had my HDMI in.

I've read that changing my DSDT could fix it, but I'm not 100% sure on:

1. Whether it's going to screw anything else up? In which case, how easy is it to change it back?

2. I updated my DSDT previously, on an old installation, but am having trouble finding it this time. If someone does recommend updating the DSDT, could someone link me to one?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4

RAM: 4GB DDR2

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GT520 1GB

If your DSDT doesn't let you boot its very easy to fix by just booting into your install USB and removing it with terminal. So i would say try it with DSDTse or some other tool. DSDT editing is pretty simple.

Just a quick update. I found the DSDT I found before, installed it, but it disabled my HDMI port - I imagine that's simply because it reset GraphicsEnabler to Yes. I don't know much about DSDT's (well, nothing at all) so I'd never heard of DSDTse before - I'll give that a go! Thanks :)

I'm not really sure what I'm doing to be honest, but I've opened up my DSDT and have come across this:

"model",

Buffer (0x18)

{

"nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS"

},

"rom-revision",

Buffer (0x26)

{

"nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS OpenGL Engine"

}

Obviously that's wrong because I have a nVidia GeForce 520. But I assume just changing those values won't fix my problem. Do I need to change any device ID's anywhere?

Will this work on Lion 10.7.2?

I've installed a 520 kext for 10.8 (no number after the 8) previously but it didn't change anything for me.

edit - I'll give it a go! :)

Just do the combo update to 10.8.2. I don't think that combo update is going to be a real problem.

Just do the combo update to 10.8.2. I don't think that combo update is going to be a real problem.

I installed iAtkos L2. As far as I know I could potentially get a kernel panic upon update. I'll run the update anyway, as I think I just need to remove something to get around the kernel panic?

I installed iAtkos L2. As far as I know I could potentially get a kernel panic upon update. I'll run the update anyway, as I think I just need to remove something to get around the kernel panic?

You probably need a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext . Try install that with iAtkos ML2.

Okay I've got myself a DMG of iAtkos ML2. I can't try it out yet as it's too big for a single layered DVD. Will be back to this topic as soon as I've got hold of some dual layered DVD's and installed ML2. Thanks :)

Okay I've got myself a DMG of iAtkos ML2. I can't try it out yet as it's too big for a single layered DVD. Will be back to this topic as soon as I've got hold of some dual layered DVD's and installed ML2. Thanks :)

You can install it on a 8gb usb too if you have one around. But you need the bootloader of their site you can't use chameleon

You can install it on a 8gb usb too if you have one around. But you need the bootloader of their site you can't use chameleon

I did have an 8GB USB laying around somewhere, not sure what I did with it. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Does the boot loader go on the USB too, or can I burn that to DVD?

Last time I attempted to install via USB my motherboard had problems - GA-965P-DS4 model - apparently other people have trouble booting from USB with the same motherboard too.

I did have an 8GB USB laying around somewhere, not sure what I did with it. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Does the boot loader go on the USB too, or can I burn that to DVD?

Last time I attempted to install via USB my motherboard had problems - GA-965P-DS4 model - apparently other people have trouble booting from USB with the same motherboard too.

The bootloader does go onto a usb too. So maybe it will just be easier to do it with a DVD

I'll see if I can find the USB anyway, and I'll use iAtkos L2 to 'burn' the DMG to USB. Maybe it'll work like that. If not, I'll buy some dual-layered DVDs :) Thanks for your help, I'll get back with an update as soon as I've got one.

• 8 months later...

After dropping this for a while, I've come back to it. I'm now running an AMD Phenom II x4 on an ASUS M5A99X EVO motherboard.

Still running the same GPU (GT520), only this time I'm running retail Lion instead of iAtkos. I'm currently downloading the 10.8.2 combo update DMG and will give it a whirl when it's done - will post my results after.

If this fails I'm feeling a little more confident to have a look at a DSDT edit work-around should it be possible.